It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nellis is doubling in size......At least underground for now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I know these are big claims. But I have information that is 100% reliable without question.
From external source:

Nellis airforce base is already huge. How big? More than 14,000 acres, and its vast ranges provide 15,000 square miles of airspace for flying operations.
For more info check this link:
www.nellis.af.mil...

Here is Nellis from the air:
(from external source)

And a diagram of how big it really is:
(from outside source)

Nellis AFB is literally planning an expansion that will double it's overall operating systems in more ways than one. They are getting ready to make the base a lot more efficient and able to handle twice the workload it has now. Not only in effective systems management, but also in their computer operating systems network and communication lines. A friend of mine is working for the Fiber optic company that is laying cable underground along miles of underground tunnel at Nellis AFB. Not only that. It is a three year job, that includes laying cable all the way out to Indian Springs. For those that are familiar with the area, you know how much terrain that is. That will double the Air Force fields terrain!

[edit on 30-10-2007 by asala]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
According to my friend he and his crew are running fiber optic cable for miles through a series of tunnels. I have asked him how long the tunnels are, and he says: "there is no way to tell for sure." They are only given access to certain tunnels and using them as a means to run new fiber optic lines to new areas that will be functional when the operation is completed. The distance from nellis to indian springs underground is 30 miles or more. That's a lot of cable and a lot of tunnels.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ask him how much cable they have laid.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Not only is Nellis expanding exponentially, so is their personnel! In late May of this year, my wife and I were in Vegas on our honeymoon. A bunch of my Marine buddies came in from San Diego to drink with us, and the boys and I were getting loud at the bar. We met and befriended a pair of guys from England, who were in town on "business".
After these two found out that we were all either active USMC, or recently active, they confided with us that they were RAF. Apparently there is quite a bit of cross-training going on at Nellis, as these two's wing was going to be there several months.
When asked specifics of their MOS, they changed the subject.
I know what that means, so the issue wasn't pushed- I just bought more drinks for us.
I have wondered what the heck's going on at Nellis for a good while now. Think I'll check out the base when I'm back out in Jan...

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Miles of cable is one thing...Miles of tunnels are another...What is the size of the tunnels, are we talking driving threw the tunnels, walking threw or just feeding cable threw holes in the ground. Also he should try to get a picture, and post it if he dosnt get shot in the process.

Thanks for the info

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That caliche is very, very expenisive to dig into. What a waste of money.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Another great thread, Utah! Not to mention some excellent responses too. Bianchi, that is a great story. I don't really know too much about Nellis, but this is really interesting stuff. Flagged and keep up the good work! Can't wait to hear more.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Thats a really good, HD picture.. those planes in the lower left appear to be the F117's..
Where exactly is Nellis at, how many miles and from which direction is it from Las Vegas, or whatever the biggest city is?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Nellis is pretty much right in Las Vegas...well north Vegas to be exact.

I would say that a possible reason for the expansion of Nellis AFB is the advent of the F-22 and the future F-35. Nellis is a huge ACC base, and one of the main hubs for the F-22 currently. Also they run one of the biggest annual exercises in the world with Red Flag every year.

I wouldnt read too much into the RAF guys being in town...its like that all the time. I work at Hill AFB, up the road in Utah, and there are always foreign guys running around. The Brits are here now actually....or were last week at least.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Nelis is growing due to BRAC. Nothing out of the ordinary happening.

Also Nelis is not the only local for Red Flag. In fact, Red Flag is moving to our base and we host it thruout the year. Red Flag hosts military from all over the world. Been this way forever. Again, nothing out of the ordinary about it.

Trust me, I know. My husband is Air Force and involved in Red Flag when it is here

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It might be an interesting topic at hand here, who knows, cause who can read it?
I mean some no-brain factors must be at play for anyone to put up an image 1024 pixs wide on a 1024 screen.
Big is beautiful, and if you only care about your image and not if the text is readable, well, fine then.

FYI anything over 680 pixs will distort the page. Try read the following links.
How to resize an image
Image Size Guidelines

The latter have this comment by Mirthful Me:

Oversize images reduce the overall experience of ATS, please make sure that any linked images fall within the above guidelines. If an image just has to to be viewed in a larger format, provide a URL link to it.

Image Monkeys, not just for proving bigger isn't better anymore...

So you Image Monkey, get your img resized or put in an external link so I can read your thread.

Thank you.

khunmoon

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I understand that there is visual expansion going on at Nellis is it possible though that the fiber optic cable in the cable vaults and halls is probably at least at some level part of the ongoing project for what the DOD (and other government entitiess) call the GIG (global information Grid) this is a huge project encompassing all levels of DOD, NSA, FBI, CIA, and all the other known and unknown acronyms you can think as well as the majority of the government.

any way just a thought

GEO

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Trust me, I know. My husband is Air Force and involved in Red Flag when it is here

Thanks for the post greeneyedleo I will respectfully not trust you, or your husband. This is not the first time you have asked us to trust you. You're begining to sound like Richard Nixon when he told us he 'is not a crook'.

Nellis Air Force Base is the fastest growing secret facility in Nevada. They are managing it very well and it is all very low key. But there are tunnels EVERYWHERE. They closed the federal prison in Area 2 for increased security and more room. Which irritated the locals because they were getting 'free' laborers. There is so much construction going on in Area 2 its hard to keep trrack of.

Oh and hey, I can't get to the area between the the Nuclear Weapons Storage Area and PABCO. What the heck is going on in there? The signs say somebody might shoot me!

They have the south boundary guarded by BLM, the north and east by fences and guards, and the west by Las Vegas Boulevard and the new Clark County prison. The west boundary is guarded by the golf course.

Stop with your 'trust me'. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join