It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Gun Zaps Into Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Ray Gun Zaps Into Life

news.sky.com

It looks like a radar antenna. A squat dish sitting atop a generator. It's small enough to be mounted on the back of a Land Rover or Humvee, or on a strongpoint guarding a road block.

The American manufacturer - with the appropriate sci-fi sounding name of Raytheon - claims the "Silent Guardian" is the answer to deterring rioters or intruders without resorting to lethal force.
The technology is based on that used in a familiar kitchen microwave oven.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
OKay, it might be non lethal, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end.

Is this another step in the erosion of civil liberties?

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This microwave technology has existed for quite some time. In fact, they wouldn't let the army bring these equipped vehicles over to Iraq as they feel it is cruel and unusual punishment. There was just a thread I was reading recently which talked about it.

Anyway, they showed this device on FutureWeapons on Discovery Channel a year ago. So, nothing new.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Saw an early version of this a few years ago and apparently it's non-lethal, but lethal all at the same time. If someone has a pacemaker, a metal implanter whatnot this thing can fry 'em and then this sucker becomes very lethal.

I imagine it would be good for destroying vehicles tires though, melt 'em from afar.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Perhaps not - but what IS new, is that it's gone on sale at the worlds biggest arms fair, so it will be with us soon - perhaps on a street near you....
The maufacturers are talking about it being used for anti rioting and intruders.

[edit on 12/9/2007 by budski]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Is this another step in the erosion of civil liberties?

No, it only applies for individuals who are breaking the law. In fact you should be relieved as it is probably one of the safest 'less than lethal' systems out there. And yes "non lethal" is a misnomer as it is not true, virtually anything can be lethal is misused. People with pacemakers perform illegal activity at your own risk.

One more thing, it would not melt tires, or burn wood, that's not how it works...

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I posted a bit on it on 30 Aug in this thread. There's a link to a sort of sales-pitchy Raytheon video for it if you've got Windows Media Player.

It's a spin-off of the VMADS system. There's a smaller version for Sheriff and a bigger for VMADS. This one's sort of inbetween. There is also an "electric fence" version of it but I haven't seen them discuss it yet.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I posted about something like this 2 years ago: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like these things are ready for deployment.

[edit on 9/12/2007 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Did you hear about the AF version of it?

No s---, there's an air-to-ground version. I don't think I've seen it in the news. I'm not really sure what you'd use it for.

top topics

join