It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold weather clothing question(s)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I am trying to learn a little more about proper clothing for cold weather. It's not so much that I forsee being in a cold weather survival situation, but I still think a better understanding of the basics would help me to be more comfortable in non survival cold weather situations, plus if it came to it, I'd have the knowledge.

I understand a 3 layered approach is best? A base layer of polypropylene or similar, to draw moisture away from the body? As a second layer, wool or fleece or similar, allowing moisture to continue to move from the body while minimizing heat transfer between the body and the environment? Lastly the outer layer, a jacket of goretex or similar material which allows mositure to leave the body while providing waterproofing and additional insulation?

I assume as regards socks, you could wear a thin layer of wicking socks followed by wool socks or similar?

One question I have is about underpants- what would be the base layer of pants, would it follow the same pattern as that of the upper body? i.e. some type of wicking longjohns or whatever follow by and additional pair of underpants if needed, or just regular pants/jeans?

Apologies if these questions seem unneccesary, I dont know whats gotten into me, but I just turned 33 and somehow i'm becoming interested in this stuff- any thoughts/advices are appreciated.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Ice_Man]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As a regular winter hillwalker I would suggest silk long-johns, a pair of fleece trousers and goretex overtrousers.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The best bet for cold weather, is clothing like Wick-A-Way, something that keeps moisute OFF you, and is waterproof at the same time.
Noone wants to fall victim to hypothermia due to sweating during the winter.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm not sure of the technical names but I am an avid snowboarder. I usually wear 3 layers down low and 3-4 up top depending on conditions.

Top:

Layer 1: Spandex Jersey with moisture wicking properties (Volcom)
Layer 2: Acrylic/Nylon/Spandex Sweater
Layer 3: Waterproof and Windproof Jacket (10,000 MM waterproof rating)

If it's really cold I'll add a polyester/nylon fleece on top of the sweater, in between layers 2 and 3.

Bottom:
Layer1: Spandex Pants with moisture wicking properties
Layer 2: 80% Polyester 20% Acrylic workout pants
Layer 3: Waterproof Goretex Snowboard pants (10,000 MM waterproof rating)

Socks:
65% Microsupreme / 15% Acrylic / 15% Nylon / 5% Spandex by Volcom

Check out Volcom.com, they have everything you could need!

I can literally walk around in 35 degree weather wearing just the Spandex jersey and am still comfortable for short periods of time.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by BluByWho]

[edit on 12-9-2007 by BluByWho]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The best cold weather clothing is a dry shelter heated by a renewable fuel source.

Seriously, during cold and wet weather, find shelter and make a fire. People have suffered and died from hypothermia in weather as hot as 70 dF.

If the weather is reasonable dry, you can move about in it. If it feels or look like rain or snow, stick close to your shelter. Once your body gets chilled and wet, it will burn calories like made trying to keep your core temperature up.

A good addition to any cold/wet weather kit is the good old US military issue poncho and poncho liner. If you have to travel in wet weather it can be draped over your pack and gear to keep it dry while you look for a dry shelter.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
My experience says that the 2 most important things are to keep your feet and head warm.

A good pair of cold weather boots and a watch cap (stocking cap) will keep you reasonably comfortable.

Ask any diver and they will tell you that with the addition of a hood or a beanie you stay a lot warmer for a lot longer...its amazing the difference it makes. I can tolerate cold in a shortie and beanie that I couldnt in a full wetsuit.

I found that this with polypro bottoms and a fieldjacket liner under my uniform kept me warm enough that I didnt need much else. This was working on helicopters w/ blades turning in the snow.

I spent 10 days in the mountians of southern germany in a winter survival course(in dec) wearing this and was reasonably comfortable (who am I kidding it was cold as H...L
) As You well know this all depends on your activity level and weather conditions...In a wet environment this would not cut it....Add Gortex jacket and pants and you would be golden.

There are a lot of new fabrics out there with wicking properties but dont forget the old tried and true...WOOL. Wool is a wonderful fabric...it is reasonably fire resistant and even when soaked it maintains something crazy like 70% of its insulating properties. Heavy and bulky but worth keeping in the closet.

You may think this is crazy but it was a trick I learned while in a special ops unit from some old soldiers was to wear panty hose...amazing how well they work to keep you warm and prevent blisters from walking. Plus they take up very little room and have plenty other uses in a survival situations.

they key is to keep dry...I was mentioned earlier that people have suffered hypothermia in fairly warm temps...it happens in the desert so educate yourself and pay attention to what you body is telling you.

I am sure most of this is common knowledge but sometimes we forget the easy things

Kafer

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Plenty of good points have allready been posted.

Here is a link to Finnish army clothing in English, that set of clothes is designed to keep a soldier operative down to -40C temperatures. I've personally operated in -30C and that layered system works (all tough i used civilian sports underwear set as the bottom layer instead of the military one)

Ps. Please use F or C after the temperatures as they may be confusing without...

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Layering is the way to go. Multiple thin layers allow warm air to be trapped which increases warmth. These layers can be removed/replaced as the weather situation dictates.

Base - A 'wicking' material that keepas moisture away from the body should be used as a base. Long johns can be very warm, but tend to become uncomfortable when wet. Underwear should be comfortable and not chafe.

Middle layers - thin T-shirt covered by a slightly heavier cover. This allows the heat retention. I use a standard t-shirt covered by a Norgy.

Top layer - Heavy, warm coat. I prefer a heavy Softy Sleeka jacket. this should be backed up with a waterproof outer shell which should be lightweight and easy to pack away but be tough enough to do the job. I use a lightweight Breghaus RG-1 jacket.

For trousers I would wear something that allows freedom od movement but tough. Most of the Berghaus kit will do the job.

In reality, survival situstions do not allow the individual to change into their ideal kit. I would suggest that this is kept in your bug-out-bag, ready to go.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
In reality, survival situstions do not allow the individual to change into their ideal kit. I would suggest that this is kept in your bug-out-bag, ready to go.

Great recommendations, are there common household items that can be used in an emergency to temporarily substitute for those items mentioned? Can things like potmits, or plastic wrap work?
Can anyone give a thread I can read about 'bug-out-bags'?
Thanks, Jules

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
German soldiers in Eastern Front used to stuff newspapers into their clothing in order to keep them alive while guarding.

One good idea is to have an extra layer on top of your packbag that you can put on every time you stop moving. It's important to remember to dress lightly enough when on the move, in order to avoid breaking sweat.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
jules,

I would suggest that you stay away from the plastic wrap. It will just increase perspiration...ask anyone who has wreslted and and had to drop weight quick...wrap your self up and jump rope...Bad Idea

basically use anything on hand..pot mitts for gloves...newspaper (like was mentioned above) all you have to do to prove this is to look at the homeless in central park. If you had the time or the inclination these would be good people to talk too about surviving in the city...They do it every day and without a lot of equipment.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
Layering is the way to go. Multiple thin layers allow warm air to be trapped which increases warmth. These layers can be removed/replaced as the weather situation dictates.

it's probably been over 20 years since i've worn a regular winter coat
it the winter, it's sweat tops and sweat pants
i work outside all year round driving a bobcat
when i go to an used clothing shop
if i see sweat gear XXXl or bigger, i'll usually buy it

and naturally, good footwear and something on your head

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Another thing I've got to keep in mind in keeping cold weather clothing for my family is that with adults our sizes stay relatively the same, but with kids those clothes wont fit in six months. So with the change of seasons I must rotate out the emergency cold weather clothing as well as the things going out of season. (Anyone with infants will need to rotate out diapers as well!)
Maybe I could also stock a size larger than needed... just thinking out loud. Kids grow like weeds.
Jules

top topics

join