It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the rest of the ATS muslims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
the month of Ramadan is apon us
so good luck keeping all the fasts and getting to all evening prayers at your mosques.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
assalam alaikum and eid mubarak from a Hindu

btw I'm sure you meant "prayers" rightttttt......

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

thanks
yeah i ment prayers

i really need to proof read before clicking post

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Assalammualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatu.

I'll be having my sahur in an hours time. First three days are the toughest for me.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm invited to break fast with some relatives this weekend, so I'm going to actually partake in the fasting starting Friday. I can't wait to eat some sirni. mmmmm..

imo the best thing about ramadan...the food!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
imo the best thing about ramadan...the food!!!

That's what everyone in Malaysia regardless of whether they are muslim or not says

The Ramadhan Bazaar -- Good food on the cheap

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

best thing for me is the chicken samosa my mum cooks up
nothing like breaking a fast with them

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Have a happy holiday all of you!

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I wish you well at this time my Muslim friends. Would someone explain to the rest of us what Ramadan actually means to you? Google can provide the facts but not the soul.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Oh sounds all good,

Have a good Ramadam, good luck to you all in keeping to your fasting, it cant be easy at all!

lol if you get urges just post!

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Allah Akbar.

Would just like to wish you guys you guys the best.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I wish you well at this time my Muslim friends. Would someone explain to the rest of us what Ramadan actually means to you? Google can provide the facts but not the soul.

The verses of the Qur'an was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

muslims are expected to give to charities and do their upmost to improve on them selves as all deeds they do is worth more.

it also shows strength of will when it comes to tempations.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Happy Shahar Ramadan.

Good luck with the fasting.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Good luck with the fasting!

Have a good Ramadan guys and gals.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Best wishes from me.

That fasting thing has always confused me...I suppose I could look it up, but it would be more fun if one of you could enlighten me? Pretty please?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Best wished to all ATS members who are fasting for Ramadan!!

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
What do you want to know about it? I'll try to explain it as best as I could but you've got to let me know what bit of it has gotten you confused.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I understand the reason for the whole Ramadan celebration. How did the fasting aspect of it originate? As a ritual purification? Or something else entirely? I suppose you could say the whole thing confuses me. I confuse easily, you see.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This is a misconception actually. Ramadhan is not the month of celebration. The celebrations are in Syawal, with the first of Syawal being Eid-ul Fitr. I don't remember the story of how it originated, but it is as you say, a ritual purification.

Fasting in Ramadhan isn't just limited to abstaining from food and water, from before sunrise (subuh/fajr) until the moment of sunset (maghrib). Muslims are also told to abstain from pleasures of the flesh (sex, kissing... maybe cuddling but I'm not sure, I would assume so) and pleasures of the eye (no ogling women, or vice versa..).

Those are the simple ones. The harder aspects of fasting in Ramadhan (which most muslims tend to forget) is abstaining from idle talk, abstaining from anger, from greed, slanderous/libellous remarks, sarcasm... just pretty much fill in the blanks with any unethical or immoral thing that most of the other religions talk about, you won't go wrong.

Like bodrul mentioned earlier, muslims are encouraged to perform more good deeds in the month of Ramadhan, as it carries for more. All in all, Ramadhan is the month where muslims should get closer to God. That is to do good and abstain from evil.

The fasting is just a small aspect, but it gets the most coverage because people love to eat, so by not eating it kind of stands out. Also, as my teacher explained to me when I was a kid -- when you fast, you get hungry, when get hungry, you think of food, when you can't get food, you think of God. Simplified, but effective for an 8 year old kid.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Thank you for telling me that, Beachcoma. I like learning new things, or new to me anyway.

Abstaining from evil, to excentuate the positive. I suspected there was a bit more to it then I knew. Thanks. Again, best wishes...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join