It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LINUX OS-Questions, Answers, Tips and Comments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
OK, I haven't found much noise from Linux users here at ATS, and I know there must be some. I'm new to Linux myself, having just installed Xandros. I've already found that while it is a great system, it takes some getting used to.

I wanted this thread to be a resource point for people using Linux, or thinking of switching to Linux, to come to for information and tips on what to do and how to do it. It seems that some of the things that are done on Windows needs to be done differently with a Linux based OS.

First off, let me say that I'm glad I made the change. I was tired of M$ Bill Gates and Microsucks wanting to approve of every move I made with an item I paid money for. I don't want to buy a hat and be told by the seller when and where I can wear it, and I feel the same about Microsoft wanting to limit which machine I can install Windows on. Besides, I was already getting tired of all the security issues with Windows.

Which brings up the first of many questions. Do I need to install a firewall, aside from the one that is built in to the Xandros OS? I realize that Linux based systems are less prone to worms and trojans and such than Windows, but have I done enough? And what are some good FREE, (one of my favorite words used a lot with open source OSes.), ones, and where can I best download them?

So offer advice, ask more questions, or just stop in to tell us why you use Linux. And please, tell us the name of your OS, and why you chose it. Tell what it is you like about it, and what it's faults are. This will help us all decide if we want to try that one out ourselves.

People freely helping other people, maybe the whole world would be a better place with that open source attitude about everything.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Call me the LinuxNINJA.
Windows

You shouldn't have to install another firewall, however, you may need to tune your's to do what you want it to. Or just leave it be! Should be fine.

Personally, I am a Ubuntu Linux guy... but have been running different distros over the years... i remember a time when the X Server was an infant...

Linux has come a long way.

[edit on 9/12/2007 by damajikninja]

Edn

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Do you know what firewall is currently installed? I would assume its just iptables with a custom Xandros front end in which case iptables is the firewall for GNU/Linux, I don't know of anything better than it.

I use Gentoo on my server & workstation and Sabayon on the side, there great distros once you get to know how the package manager works, and on that note get to know you package manager, its one of the things that makes GNU/Linux so powerful.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Edn

Thats ONE of the reasons I like Ubuntu so much. It's Debian-based, and therefore gets to use .DEB packages with Synaptic. Ubuntu takes care of regular security updates automatically.

Back in the day, RedHat was the distro with the spiffy RPM package manager, but nowadays, I think other distros have better methods.

On the server side of things, Ubuntu does well too. However, for real-deal service applications, I choose FreeBSD.

But hey, there's nothing wrong with Xandros either! Its a great distro! And that's what makes Linux great - it comes in a variety of flavors!

[edit on 9/12/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I have a Linux(Ubuntu) drive just in case my windows drive decides to explode and I love it. My only gripe is i can get dual monitors running at it wont let me run at 1024x768 resolution, but thats probably because i still have al ot to work out with it.

But at least it comes with firefox 2.0 installed

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ivzm

There are pretty simple ways to fix both of those problems... what video card do you have? Which version of Ubuntu?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Damn, I didn't know there were that many piguins here on ATS.
I am not surprised though, this is a place for people that chose to follow their own beat.

Yeah, I love the idea that if I get tired of my OS, I can switch to another system, all for little or no cost.

So, what's the best, most outstanding feature on your system? How is what it does "better" than the others you looked at? I ask because I expect to need to try three or four OSes before I find one that is right for me.

And for people just looking, what problems have you all run into surfing and downloading and just doing the normal things ATSers do?

How is the audio doing? Any problems on your system to get things to work? and if so, how did you fix it?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736

Only two of us have posted so far...
But I wouldn't be suprised if there are a lot of ATS/BTS/PTS members using alternative OSs.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

Originally posted by NGC2736

Only two of us have posted so far...
But I wouldn't be suprised if there are a lot of ATS/BTS/PTS members using alternative OSs.

Iwas being just a bit facetious in that statement. Really, I too was sure that there were many more Linux users than what are known. But I am also aware that most people think someone else will do the work for them; never realizing that it is our "work" that defines us.

But maybe time will show us more.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The first time I installed and used Linux, I was booted into the command prompt instead of the GUI.
That was crazy, I had to learn the commands to a completely new OS from scratch. It was my fault though. My CD drive was busted so the genius that I was, installed Linux onto the HDD via VMWare from the ISO downloaded

It's all good though, I eventually found the correct command to reset the X-windows GUI from one of the documents scattered about the system. That was an interesting experience.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Haha! You brought that on yourself with the crazy way you installed it!
Glad you got it together though... thats the other great thing about Linux distros... they are very well documented, and just about anything is fixable.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Heheh yeah I was asking for it
But at the very least I figured out one other way to install Linux, and the fix is actually quite simple. But I forgot what the command is, though.

All I can recall is that it was hidden in a configuration settings file, not the regular documentations. Unbelievable, considering I did the same thing twice :bnghd:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am not a Linux user, and never really was, I only installed it twice, the first time some six or more years ago (Red Hat) and the last time was only to see how to configure LDAP on Suse (I couldn't do it), and never used it much.

But I think that this may be a good thread to clear some doubts about Linux, so I will put some questions.

Being a user of Windows since 3.1 and having used Windows 95, 2000, XP and Vista, what do you consider the best distro to someone in this situation, a Windows user for the last 14 years?

Edn

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Being a user of Windows since 3.1 and having used Windows 95, 2000, XP and Vista, what do you consider the best distro to someone in this situation, a Windows user for the last 14 years?

Everyone has there preference, id suggest trying the top 5 distros from distrowatch.com...

There all the same at the core the main difference is the package manager and initial setup.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The first Linux OS I used was the RedHat based VMWare ESX about 4 years ago. This broke me in to using it and getting around. Next was the RedHat based EMC control station for NAS. Lastly a switch from Sys Admin to Networking/Security pushed me further from Windows into CheckPoint's SPLAT and Nokia's OS.

Yet, I have to say a Knoppix or any CDROM based distro is cool. Basically a bootable usb key build or cd and boom you have your linux on any other hardware platform. The beauty of using Knoppix I believe is the use of it to browse the web and go to the less than nice sites, if there is a need. If something hits your system, power off and back on. You are in business, if using via CDROM, as they can't write to it to do damage. If need be use a usb key and unmount the rest of the devices except the usb key and use that to save downloads and such.

Current O/S in use on my testbed/garage datacenter: RedHat5.0 ES, FreeBSD, Ubuntu to help a non-IT friend walk through the install, Fedora, and a build of Knoppix. Yet here I am on an xp laptop on the forum.

Far less experience with linux, but gaining ground. Not a guru by any standard. Just trying to learn. I bought a used/broken macbook just to learn the OS as well. Also plenty of M$ft as well in the garage... kind of like Kudzu. Pun intended.

Do I have to say I work in IT?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Edn

It is the iptables, dressed for Xandros.And it would seem that it is all most users of Xandros have. I found a nice Xandros forum, and there were people saying that they had no firewall at all, and felt perfectly safe.

There were a couple of them that said they had no anti-spyware or anti-virus programs, and had been running that way for YEARS without a problem.

Being new at this, it makes me nervous to not be "walled in" and armoured up. I feel naked on the net. (Naked On The Net--that's a good tittle for a story. ) It takes some getting used to, that's for sure.

Edn

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Almost all spyware and viruses are made for windows and mac, I think there is maybe half a dozen or so viruses for GNU/Linux almost all of which GNU/Linux are pretty much immune to, not that it matters because viruses are used to infect computers used by your average person who tends to use windows.

I have a firewall on my computer, but thats about it for security, the rest is good passwords and common sense.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm sure that some of you have noticed the thread on Above about Microsoft. I'll post this as public service anyway.

It seems that Microsoft has been going into some computers and downloading, even when the automatic updates is turned off. As far as I have heard, nothing bad was done, unless you feel violated when some company comes in and just has it's way with your computer.

My wife still runs XP, but even she is almost ready to throw in the towel after this. Would you buy a car and let the dealership keep a set of keys? And what if that dealership decided to come by your house and open up the car, pop the hood, and change a few things, all without even telling you they were doing it?

Despite whatever problems I've had learning this new OS, I'm glad I switched.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Glad to see some *nix users here on the boards.I'm running slackware 11.0 / nubuntu 6.10 on my boxes.

top topics

join