It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying little thing people have been doing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
It seems silly now that I'm writing up a thread on it, but people are getting lazy. When they post URLs, they just stick them in without BB code. Usually ATS picks up on this and converts it into a shortened link, but sometimes it doesn't and ends up mangling the URL, so you have to quote the post to find out the original URL, like here. Even mods do it: thread.

All you have to do is stick [url] and [/url] around the URL, and all is done. If you've got a long link or want to look fancy, [url=(actual URL)]text you want displayed[/url] helps also.

So there. And now if anyone does it, Im gonna abuse you till I get banned.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
There's been a couple of times when I wrapped the link with [url][/url] tags it just mangles the whole thing. I can't show you an example because in the end I had to edit the post and just remove the links altogether.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
So there. And now if anyone does it, Im gonna abuse you till I get banned.

Ok, take a deep breath....

I'll simply remind you of the T&C's

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

I understand your frustration over this issue, believe me, the Mods see it and try to fix it when we can. ATS has a huge amount of traffic every day and we can't always get to things as quickly as we'd like to.

Please reconsider your statement and when you see something that needs fixed, use the complaint feature located in your member center.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Uhh, you think I was serious, elevateddone?

I don't planned on getting banned any time soon, hopefully.

I can be quite anal at times, though . . .
It was just a general heads-up. The complaint feature posts to a forum which only staff can view, which kinda isn't what I was aiming for.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The BB code is so easy here if people will just take a second to learn it..

It's really a lot of fun too, posting images and Videos as well as the URL's and our ability to actually name them as they appear on the post...

I don't find it annoying as much as I just don't click on anything that is mangled. I figure that if the author is not concerned enough to do it properly, why should I concern myself with looking at it.

Semper

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hehe, Lombozo did it in that thread. Tut tut Lom!

Anyhoo, this problem can be quickly sorted if people just preview there posts before whacking the okay button.

Tis what I do.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Uhh, you think I was serious, elevateddone?

I was hoping is a better term, hoping that you were not serious.

However, given the fact that members in the past have "lost it" and done some crazy things, I just wanted to share my thoughts with you.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Might be a good time for a little BB Code refresher found in the invaluable Handbook.

BB code from Handbook

I've been posting here for a couple of years and still refer to the handbook occasionally. It's easiest to access from the Member Center (where you go to do u2u stuff). Left hand side second option from the bottom.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
It's really a lot of fun too, posting images and Videos as well as the URL's

fun!

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Absolutely FUN...

Just check out these threads...

Post Hoax Image

Optical Illusion Posts

Favorite youtube videos

There are many more threads where you can use the BB code to post pictures, video etc....

It's fun, educational for the code and as an added bonus, builds your points...

Semper

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
ah, nice! thanks, i didnt know about the [ats tags

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

All you have to do is stick [url] and [/url] around the URL, and all is done. If you've got a long link or want to look fancy, [url=(actual URL)]text you want displayed[/url] helps also.

You don't have to use BB gode for links.

Let me tell you the secret why ats links not always work.

When you copy a url from the command line it sometimes have a tiny apostrophe in the end of it.

Delete that apostrophe before you return it as a link, and it will display fine - without url tags. You don't have to use them for http:// adresses - unless you wanna give the link a text of course.

In formatting where we have to use tags, it's not always working for [color=] and other excotic command tags.

top topics

join