It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.4 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Indonesia - Tsunami Warnings Issued

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Tsunami threatens Western Australia.

"The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says a Tsinami wave could hit the Indian Ocean coast of Australia within the hour.

The centre has issued a tsunami warning for wide areas of the Indian Ocean region.
News reports say a strong earthquake .. measuring 7.9 or 8 has hit Indonesia .. triggering tsunami fears."

This is a report from Australian Online News.
www.news.com.au...

Looks pretty bad

link   
Wow, this is horrible!

I certainly hope there is no Tsunami. Havent those poor people suffered enough?

I'm overwhelmed.

This one would be strong enough to throw the earth off again, i would think. Incredibly sad.

link   
It's funny how I almost always never feel the tremors from a strong earthquake in neighbouring Indonesia, but if it were a weak and mild one I'd feel a slight jolt. I can't explain it.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by sylvrshadow

10:33, September 11, 2007

An earthquake with magnitude of 5. 7 rocked eastern part of Indonesia on Tuesday, no report of casualty or damages, Meteorology and Geophysics Agency said.

The quake struck at 08:56 Jakarta time (0156GMT) with epicenter at 447 kilometers northeast Ternate of North Maluku province and at 87 kilometers under seabed, an official of the agency said.

Magnitude 5.7? That's much lower than what was reported in American news...

Hang on, Its September the 12th in Indonesia now, are are you also quoting from 'American Media'?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeyJo

That was a mistake. See my edit.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Indonesia may not have been hit but the rest of the countries sorrounding that area( just read the aussie warning a couple of posts up) that need toi be concerned right now. Hopefullly no tsunanmi happens and everyone is safe.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by GAOTU789]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The boxing day earthquake in 2004 resulted in a tsunami that travelled accross the world and hit the east coast of Africa. Not saying that this is the case with this one, just adding comment to the discussion about it possible reaching Pakistan or Iran - although looking at a map it looks like the southern tip of India might create a "shadow" to prevent it reaching there.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I appreciate that but surely a resultant tsunami would hit the nearest coast first and therefore if there are no reports of one from the coasts nearest the epicentre, the likelyhood of a tsunami reaching further is greatly reduced? correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Snappahead

I think you will find the possibility of an Indonesian earthquake generating a tsunami reaching Iran or Pakistan to be infinitesimally microscopic. Besides Iran and Pakistan have their own fault lines. That should be more worrying. The last time Iran had a series of severe earthquakes, the plate she lies on dislodged enough to cause a chain reaction further south east which culminated in the Boxer Day quake.

Maybe this quake will generate a reverse reaction. But I don't know enough about seismology to say for sure.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I honestly hope your right. I don't want to see a repeat of boxing day 2004. I'm sure the people's affected by that disaster are still trying to fully recover.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
They are reporting that a Tsunami did just hit Samatra but they don't have details on it's size.

link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

agreed, I never want to witness an event like that again, it was truely a heart breaking tragedy. This quake was one tenth the size of the boxing day quake so again, hopefully this won't be nearly as bad.

Now, CNN are saying that a small tsunami was detected. thats all they said though, didn't say exactly where or how small.

link   

Originally posted by observe50
They are reporting that a Tsunami did just hit Samatra but they don't have details on it's size.

apparently,

it was a small one

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
9 foot wave hit Padang.

They have stopped the warning in areas.

Areas are cut off and they say people don't know what they are to do.

I am glad nothing hugh happened.

add: Just checked the iris map and the aftershocks look like they are starting and now they say the quake now seems to have been a 8.2
one dead many hurt

[edit on 12-9-2007 by observe50]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It seems that a few hours ago a 3.7 hit Riverside California there have been several quakes in California in the last several days.

Don't know if we can make any connections

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
CNN Eartchquake

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but the earthquake was actually a 8.2. Should buildings still be standing?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
It seems that a few hours ago a 3.7 hit Riverside California there have been several quakes in California in the last several days.

Don't know if we can make any connections

I doubt it.

There are hundreds of earthquakes everyday. So no, they're not related.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I just talked to my night crew in Jakarta. They said that they didn't feel anything. They said that there was no panic in Jakarta.
Jakarta is not close to the Epicenter

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Sparky63]

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Saying at least ten dead lots injured.

They said it's dark there so they don't know the damage. They said Padang they haven't gotten to but buildings down people could be trapped.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by observe50]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
We had a 3.7 here in So Calif at 4 am this morning

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join