It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs Who Survived

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Crocs, Gators, and Sharks all were sopossed to have survived for millions of years, outliving their other dinosaur friends. I thought about this for a while, and realized it is because they can hide under water, they will eat anything, and have very few preadators. Birds must have survived the passing of the dinosaurs too, but they must have gotten smaller after the earths air changed. Can anyone think of any other creatures that survived from the time of the dinosaurs? Mabey we can learn about these creatures and put use the information on ourselves to prolong the human race. Perhaps even cross breeding a human with an alligator.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If i remember correctly, "the event" occured about 65 million years ago, and it was supposedly an asteroid that hit earth and caused mass extinction. I dont know how many millions of years Crocs, Gators and Sharks were supposed to have survived for, but if they survived the cataclysm that killed off the dinosaurs, they probably did so because they require less food. There was a lot less food to go around.

Small mammals were the big winners during the mass extinction. They were able to survive on smaller amounts of food, unlike the dinosaurs who had to consume massive amounts to sustain themselves.

Cross breeding a human with an alligator? How is that going to help us survive a cataclysmic event? Our sheer intelligence alone is going to give us more tools than an alligator has.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChilledVoodoo
Perhaps even cross breeding a human with an alligator.

mammals en masse survived, and thats why there are humans.

we are more evolved than those reptiles.

why I think we can accomidate your request of cross-breeding a human and an alligator. We just need 1 human .. you ARE volunteering right?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
There were no small dinosaurs (except for the birds) by the time of their extinction, because they were outcompeted in those by either mammals or birds. Severe environmental shock would certainly favor small, versatile animals over large ones more adapted to a specific environment.

[edit on 9/12/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
we are more evolved than those reptiles.

No we aren't. Lifeforms don't evolve to be more intelligent but to survive. If alligators had human like brains (in proportion to their body) they would have died out because they are not able of collecting enough energy to fuel it.

why I think we can accomidate your request of cross-breeding a human and an alligator. We just need 1 human .. you ARE volunteering right?

Actually a hybrid would have to be a new organism, started from an ovum with an already modified genome.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
There were no small dinosaurs (except for the birds) by the time of their extinction, because they were outcompeted in those by either mammals or birds. Severe environmental shock would certainly favor small, versatile animals over large ones more adapted to a specific environment.

I don't believe it's quite that simple.... current models work by postulating either asteroid or volcanic climate-change and a period of atmospheric pollution, cutting out light levels. Fern spore measurements shoot up phenomenally just after the KT boundary in the fossil record, indicative of ferns spreading (shade-growers) to fill the ecosystems from dead (light-loving) other plants. Given the lower light levels and the collapse of the food chain from death of many plants, the food chain reverted to detritus-based. Thus insects, athropods and land crustaceans (beetles, worms, snails, termites etc.) did fine, feeding off fungae and rotting plant matter. The availability of lots of insects and arthropods provided the normal regular food for small mammals and for birds (it's what they were mostly eating anyway), who therefore were not starved out of existence like the dinosaurs, whose food chain was dependant on herbivores and live plants.

Nothing to do with mammals being "better evolved" or "more adaptable". Just fluke.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hedgehogs are pretty old. Supposedly they've been unchanged for at least 15 million years and their ancestors lived about 65 million years ago. Woops sorry, you wanted dinosaurs. I think turtles are even older.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by wigit]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Turtles and tourtisous, can live for a long time. Over several generations of the normal human. I heard they can actually choose the time they decide to die. Turn off that gene, and they can concivebly live a thousand or more years. They may lack the Brain power to compete with humans, but they are genetically wired for the long haul. Cross breeding with a reptile may be hard to do, since humans are a diffrent species.
Sharks are very good at staying safe from cancer, diseases, and viruses. People take shark cartilage pills , but i don't know if it actually works.
I think the best thing the human race can do is study these creatures, figure out thier genome structure, and find ways to transfer that info to prolong the human race.
Prolonging the human life expectancy may be a bad idea, but if we can keep the average human life span around 90 years old or less, and keep them virus, and cancer free, i think this would be a good start.
I am not condoning killing of the old people, but come on now, do we really need people hobbiling around at 200+ years old, not being able to do much of anything?
I like turdles!

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Trash the millions of years- can you say 3500 years for the dinos in Mexico?
www.bible.ca...

fascinating models that the mayans did of the dinos they lived with!
proof that they were there with humans besides what Job wrote of His experiences in the Bible
y

top topics

join