It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colin Powell: Terrorists Are Not Greatest Threat to Nation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Colin Powell: Terrorists Are Not Greatest Threat to Nation

blogs.usatoday.com

"What is the greatest threat facing us now? People will say it's terrorism. But are there any terrorists in the world who can change the American way of life or our political system? No. Can they knock down a building? Yes. Can they kill somebody? Yes. But can they change us? No. Only we can change ourselves. So what is the great threat we are facing?"

Powell adds, in an interview with Walter Isaacson, that to improve its image in the world, the USA should focus on welcoming newcomers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
men.style.com

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Powell says, more or less,that the greatest threat to our nation is the damage that has been done to the reputation or image of the US.

I agree with him on this. The way other countries perceive us has a direct affect on how they will interact with us and work and trade with us in the future. Everybodies reputation or image is taken seriously to them, as should the reputation and image the US portrays.

He also said that the US should welcome immigrants. That it was always a country that welcomed immigrants with open arms.

I agree with him there also, as long as they are legal immigrants. No country just lets people stroll across their borders illegally.

(See the "Related Links" in the above post for full interview)

blogs.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/9/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I respect Colin Powell however I have to strongly disagree with him here. I know he isn't proposing any actions to help legalize them however his support for immigrants is misplaced. Why do so many people not realize that labor is also a commodity and that there is such thing as the law of supply and demand. And increasing the supply of labor continues to push down the average man's wages. What does Mr. Powell expect Bush to do, organize a million man march from Mexico to the US with Presidents Calderon and Bush holding hands along the way? I think Bush is being way to easy as it is on illegal immigration after all he does nothing or maybe it is simply his natural zest of incompetence? If Mr. Powell wanted to make hey over illegal immigration he should of come out and stated that he also believes what Pres Calderon believes that being "Mexicans are not confined to borders and have the God given right to work where they want!"

You would think if you want cheap labor just build a factory overseas or South of the nonexistant border. The rich are getting so lazy and the public so stupid that they'll just adjust the law a bit. After all who cares anyways! Why have a sweatshop in Mexico or China when you can have it in Ohio!?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Remember when Colin Powell used to be taken seriously?

From a man that had "it" politically, to a has-been afterthought.

Pretty sad.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, you can argue until the cows come home about what is the greatest threat, but terrorism is a significant threat and, if you don't mind, I'll pass on future enemy attacks on US soil.

I don't want to say anything bad about Powell. He has an incredible history of service to America. He just seems to not have much of any substance to say.

new topics

top topics

join