It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I turn off telepathy?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Okay, nobody really responded to my question if I can turn off my empathy, so I'm either assuming that the folks here hate me, or it can't be done. I'm hoping it's the latter.... Anyway, I realized that my telepathic spurts are worse than empathy; I can deffinatly live with empathy. Is there any way to stop being telepathic?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
why turn either off when you can use and refine them?

DE

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valedamar
Okay, nobody really responded to my question if I can turn off my empathy, so I'm either assuming that the folks here hate me, or it can't be done. I'm hoping it's the latter.... Anyway, I realized that my telepathic spurts are worse than empathy; I can deffinatly live with empathy. Is there any way to stop being telepathic?

Stop whining ya little shmuck.

Oh ur empathy is to much, or ur telepathy is too much. Ohh u have special powers and u dont want them.

stop whining. u got the powers for a reason. Just live with it. Why owulnd't u want empathy or telepathy.? Geezus. stop ur whining and just live. go out and have a good time would ya. have some fun. use ur powers to the best of ur ability.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You can learn to "tune out" a certain amount of it...but it's difficult to try and get rid of it all... It may be different for each...

I usually do it by playing songs in my head...(or even with headphones...) as it kind of gives your brain something to munch on... Doesn't get rid of a strong impression...but tunes out most of the "chatter"....

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
What exactly is telepathy? Can you hear other's thoughts? If that is so, why would you want to get rid of it?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well, i don't know about everyone else's telepathy, I've read that it can be different, but for me, these ideas like, pop into my head. I used to get like a flash of what somebody was thinking when I glanced at their eyes, but now I can do it at totally random times. You don't really hear their entire thought process, it's more like the idea has always been in your head, even though you know it hasn't.

Telepathy + empathy suck though (I'm sure what's his face will yell at me for saying this....) its sorta knowing what people feel most of the time, and think a little bit, but then you start to learn things about ppl u wish you hadn't (i.e. I think I got depression from a friend, I sorta 'cheated' using telepathy, I could tell this girl was gonna ask me to turnabout before she even talked to me, I knew what my friend was getting me for Christmas even though we never even talked about it) Ignorance is bliss.....

Is that what telepathy is like for everyone else???

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Not necessarily to that degree, and with practice, you'll be able to "switch the channel" so to speak, when you "feel" you're going to be intrusive...

why would you want to get rid of it?

Not get rid of it...but tune it out... Imagine this...lets say Dave Mathews is your favorite band... Everywhere you go, all you hear is Dave Mathews music... You try to listen to something else, say a Metallica cd...but Dave Mathews is still blaring in the background.... Telepathy and Empathy are similar... You could be having a good day, and then empathically you feel someone else's sorrow... Or, you're trying to focus on something, and all you're picking up in your head is someone arguing nearby (high emotions like anger, etc. are incredibly hard to tune out)....

Still think it's something you wouldn't want to tune out now and then???

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Not to burst your bubble dude, but could u really live without it? Perhaps that extra brainpower would drive you insane. Who knows.

Its kind of the same way with me, ideas will pop into my head, or I'll know something ahead of time, like it was a memory that i had made before it had happened.

I suggest you find a way to live with it, not tune it out. And of course have some fun with it. Learn more about it, how can you get rid of something you don't know anything about?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well, there's degrees of tuning it out... I may not want to hear someone mentally bitching about their girlfriend...but I definitely want to know about that guy trying to sneak up behind me to whack me over the head!

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yes, I can see how it would be useful, and it does prove itself so on occasion... In the meantime, I'm stuck with this hogepoge of emotions and thoughts.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
You can by using a sheild. Go here (an article on psipog explaining sheilds). Theres some neat stuff there. That should help a bit.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
graverider beat me to it.

Constructs are the way to go, and you should practice practice practice.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
If you don't use it, nurture it and allowe it, it will fade a bit. Negative and stress tent to deminish it too.
It depends on the source I guess, as to weather it can be 'turned off'. But you can train yourself to let it all be 'background noice'. Then you can just pay attention when something important flickers through.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well, Gaz, ya pretty much said what I was going to say.

You *can* make talismans to tune it out as well. Sometimes, if you're very tired or stressed, your blocks slip and the stuff comes back in. That's when a talisman is most useful.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
REally? How can I make a talisman?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
With a talisman, you're pretty much infusing an object with a pre-projected shield (for lack of better phrasing). It's not really powered itself, but your perception and belief in it protecting you, or in your case, blocking the signals, can be pretty effective.

Mind you, I only learned this stuff intuitively, but there are likely sites out there on it...maybe Byrd could suggest some....

I never realized I was "shielding" with the music... Interesting....

Funny note: I just sent an e-mail to someone and kind of freaked her out, because it was about something she was just e-mailing me on, hehe.... There was no reason she should be thinking of what I sent her...and I haven't heard from her for days....before this, hehe.....

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
train using your powers so you can be more powerful

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Valedamar

Well I have a question for you, how exactly did you turn it on. Did you use hypnotism, or some other means?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
There are numerous methods you can use to quieten down those rogue thoughts, most of them people do subconciously.

I think your best bet is probably to just learn to recognise which thoughts are your own and which thoughts aren't, and dismiss those that aren't.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
There are numerous methods you can use to quieten down those rogue thoughts, most of them people do subconciously.

Most people don't quiet their thoughts down, it appears to be more like there are people with a few strong persistent ideas, they cling to them (thoughts associated with our ego or selfimage for example), that leave no room (or entrance to their mind perhaps) for any other thoughts and then there are less strong ideas/thoughts of the fleeting kind (like becoming aware of hunger and thinking about what to eat). Their minds are simply to preoccupied.

I would compare it to someone trying to catch butterflies with a little net, most people keep on running butterfly after butterfly. They catch it, take a glance, let it go or keep it with them and then run off after another. Too busy to notice all those other butterflies, fixated on just 1. Then there are some people that do quiet their mind, they are more like admirers of the butterflies, without a net and being very quiet and calm of mind they can approach the butterflies without them flying off (and really enjoy a butterfly). They do not want to catch them, just approach and watch it while most people want to catch those butterflies (wether it be feeling an emotion or realizing some insight).

I think your best bet is probably to just learn to recognise which thoughts are your own and which thoughts aren't, and dismiss those that aren't.

It is dangerous to regard thoughts as coming not from oneself. I would first ask myself when I'm thinking why I thought of some thought. There has to be something inside yourself that is like an entrance for a thought (if you believe they come from something other than yourself).

[edit on 8-6-2008 by Dragonfly79]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join