It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congo Confirms Deadly Ebola Outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Congo Confirms Deadly Ebola Outbreak

ap.google.com

The World Health Organization issued an alert Tuesday urging more doctors to travel to Congo to combat an outbreak of Ebola fever, which kills nearly all of those it infects and has no cure or treatment.

The Congolese government on Tuesday declared a quarantine of the area in southeastern Congo, spokesman Toussaint Tshilobo said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Last Major outbreak was in 1995 now it appears to be 12 years later...if true and if its contained then would this 12 year gap shorten as time goes by?

also 245 people dead in 1995...so with more knowledge of the disease will this number shorten?

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

More sources:
www.nytimes.com...
www.voanews.com...
afp.google.com...

[edit on 9/11/2007 by a1ex]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If you search the WHO website there have been Ebola outbreaks almost every year (past 10). I believe last year there was infact a Ebola like virus that had an even higher mortality rate, and from memory, it was even more infectious.

Atleast these virus's can be contained, as the incubation rate is very short.

[edit on 11-9-2007 by SmokeyJo]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I've been through various stages of chemo and bio warfare training, and ebola is still one of the scariest things I have ever seen.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Marburg Virus is more deadly than the Ebola Virus

Both are from the Filoviridae family, but Marburg's fatality rate is higher compared to that of Ebola.

The Marburg virus has also been weaponised by the Soviets. The USA has been granted funding for a vaccine.

The last outbreak of Marburg was 2004-2005 in Angola
www.cdc.gov...

This disease has also killed in Europe and Germany, hence the German name

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
I've been through various stages of chemo and bio warfare training, and ebola is still one of the scariest things I have ever seen.

They tried to track it down and it started from a British kid that was exploring some elephant caves near Mount Kilimanjaro. There have been other extremely bad viruses too in the past that have mutated to allow human infection and one was so bad that the virus killed the entire village before it could spread. Ebola is like 90% death rate where the black plague that almost wiped Europe was like 60%. There was also a air born Ebola that killed a bunch of monkeys in the US through air vents in a lab, but it was not contagious to humans…nasty stuff.

My doom and gloom prediction will be a virus that wipes 70% of the world’s population in the next 100 years.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I wonder how it pop's up every now and then, along with other viruses I suppose. I mean presumably there has to be a continuous line of cases, probably in animals or very very remote tribes etc, or can the spores remain dormant? I know anthrax can lie in soil for many years and get released by activity such as ploughing, rendering a farm useless.

I'm sorta answering my own question here - thinking out loud

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
i hope that never reaches U.S. i remember a movie called "OUTBREAK" i think it was based of of this ebola,but in the movie if i remember.. the army is who created it... if you havent seen it go check it out.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
There have been many Ebola outbreaks in Africa across the years.

I know that both the US and the USSR were working on weaponising these virii. Something which would be horrendous, as there is no cure for either Marbug or Ebola.

The film, Outbreak, as mentioned earlier certainly raised some interesting questions relating to if there was an Ebola related incident inside the US - or any other non-thrid-world country.

I know I first heard of the virus in a Tom Clancy novel, "Executive Orders" about 8 years ago when I borrowed it from dad. (I was 12 at the time).

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
You can't feasibly weaponize Ebola, it's too contagious. If you release it in an airport or major city it has the potential of infecting the entire planet... In 24 hours, less than one incubation period, an infected person could travel the entire planet and directly infect thousands of people.

I guess you could use it as a scorched earth weapon, like Dr. Strangelove.

We are long overdue for a pandemic. Your options are; SARS, Bird Flu, Ebola, or something else we've never heard of.

[edit on 9/20/2007 by sp00n1]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sp00n1

Although I expect multiple biological weapons to be used in warfare, the one I believe that will run wild is the Russian variant of the Marburg virus. Beyond anything else, it has the potential of terminating the world civilisation as we know it today. And that before breakfast or blinking...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sp00n1
You can't feasibly weaponize Ebola, it's too contagious. If you release it in an airport or major city it has the potential of infecting the entire planet... In 24 hours, less than one incubation period, an infected person could travel the entire planet and directly infect thousands of people.

I guess you could use it as a scorched earth weapon, like Dr. Strangelove.

We are long overdue for a pandemic. Your options are; SARS, Bird Flu, Ebola, or something else we've never heard of.

[edit on 9/20/2007 by sp00n1]

I thought if it was too contagious it makes a lousy weapon. The victims die too quickly to spread the disease effectively. Of course some believe these are all genetically engineered as part of the planned population reduction program.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders

I thought if it was too contagious it makes a lousy weapon. The victims die too quickly to spread the disease effectively. Of course some believe these are all genetically engineered as part of the planned population reduction program.

I think it would make a good weapon because of the speed. If you think about it, the reason it doesn't spread is that it kills too quickly to move, and that it is not airborne yet. I think once exposed you are incapacitated in less than 12 hours. As a weapon, the faster is better to control it to a localized area.

If one ever comes along with let’s say a week before it incapacitates and is airborne then look out world.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
My brother in law is a virologist @ the lab here in Winnipeg, MB (Canada) and was sent to the DRC on thanksgiving to do some Ebola hunting. Still haven't heard any updates back from the guy. I also have a friend that works at the same lab and was trying to get some info out of her but she said she's not allowed to say anything about what's going on one way or the other. There's also been very little new info/updates anywhere on the net. The last update on the WHO site was October 10th. Because there's so little info I know it makes me curious and wonder what's going on with the Ebola outbreak in the Congo right now.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sp00n1

The russians chimearad it with smallpox about 10 years ago - as reported in `Questions of Virology` in 1997 , a team under the `bonfire` project had successfully inserted a gene from ebola into the genome of vaccinia - vaccinina being the substiute for smallpox. Also in 1997 in the british journel `Vaccine` it was reported again the russians had developed a genetically altered drug resistant strain of Bacillus Anthracis (Anthrax)

The russians are at the very least 15 years ahead of the USA in regards to bio-egnineering.

top topics

join