It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battlecruisers. Brilliant concept or flawed design?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Brother Stormhammer

Im goin from memory here but these ships had presidential influence did they not?
I remember reading that these boats were an intended answer to certain politicians being worried about the german pocket battleships?

As I said Im goin from memory here I'll look into it some more.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Tonka

The Alaska class were favorites of President Roosevelt, but he wasn't their only ally. They weren't designed with the German 'Pocket Battleships' in mind, but there is a story there. The Alaska and her sisters were intended to be the counters to a class of 'super cruisers' supposedly under development by the Japanese navy. The irony is that the IJN had no interest in 11" or 12" gunned cruisers...but as soon as they got wind of the Alaska class, they started design work on a class of them. That's enough irony to generate its own magnetic field

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   

You still havnt told me your favourite battlecruiser yet.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Ahh! So this is where you're 'sinking' capital-class vessels, aye Tonka?

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tonka

Despite her many flaws, and her less than stellar end, HMS Hood. A fine looking ship, fast, and well gunned. If she'd just had that last refit, and / or a bit of luck...

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Ahh! So this is where you're 'sinking' capital-class vessels, aye Tonka?

As I said on the other forum youve got me all wrong regarding bein a sub fanatic!!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I never would have guessed that from you I really wouldnt.
She was a fine looking ship though, she wasnt pride of the British fleet for her design thats for sure.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Tonka

Given my low opinion of battlecruisers as a type, I almost have to either a) select one based on looks, in which case Hood is a clear winner, or b) cheat, and call the Iowa-class 'battlecruisers' (since, technically, they weren't armored against their own main guns, thanks to the super-heavy AP shell developed for the Mk 7 gun). Since "B" gets me pelted with vegetables and called rude names, I usually go with "A".

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Fair enough!

<< 1  2   >>

join