It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best simple survival kit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Basic emergency kit
Hi guys, I live in Bogotá Colombia and right now we’re in imminent earthquake danger as you might know. I have a basic idea of an emergency kit.
- 2L of water per person per day.
- At least 3 days of canned, dried food. High cal granola bars and candy.
- Blankets or sleeping bags.
- Flashlights and tons of extra batteries.
- FM/AM radio
- Matches and something to use as a fire starter
- Med kit and iodine for the water.
- Dust masks
- Candles, matches
- Canned gas (I’ve been wondering if this is such a good idea)
- Plastic to cover the windows
If you know any other things I should take into consideration please tell me. I would would appreciate it.
Thnx

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Here's some other bits from a book I have, of course there are many other useful things to, depends how much room you have though.

1) MATCHES waterproof if possible
2) CANDLE tallow can be eaten or used for frying in emergency, but harder to store
3) FLINT flint and striker
4) MAGNIFYING GLASS to start fires in sunlight
5) NEEDLES AND THREAD at least one large eye needle to take sinew or coarse thread
6) FISH HOOKS AND LINE weights aswell
7) COMPASS
8) BETA LIGHT fishing lure, or general light
9) SNARE WIRE pref. brass, 60-90cm
10) FLEXIBLE SAW
11) MEDICAL KIT analgesic, intestinal sedative, antibiotic, antihistamine, water sterilising tablets, anti-malaria tablets (depends on area), potassium permangenate
12) SURGICAL BLADES ie scalpel blades
13) BUTTERFLY SUTURES hold edges of wounds
14) PLASTERS waterproof, assorted sizes
15) CONDOM makes good water bag

solid fuel tablets, signal flares, torch, marker panel (for signalling), matches, food (tube butter, dehydrated meat, chocolate, salt tablets)

knife or knives

cotton wool (good to use with flint to get fires going)

Even if the earthquake danger quiets down, it's always good to have an emergency kit ready, and to learn about what foods you can get wild, how to catch animals (traps), what to do in common medical situations, how to build fires, tie knots, etc, etc

[edit on 11-9-2007 by bobafett]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
Basic emergency kit
Hi guys, I live in Bogotá Colombia and right now we’re in imminent earthquake danger as you might know. I have a basic idea of an emergency kit.
- 2L of water per person per day. (add another L per person one per person will do, not one per day per person for cleaning of wounds and such)
- At least 3 days of canned, dried food. High cal granola bars and candy.
- Blankets or sleeping bags. (add up to 5 days if you way out 3 days is good for city folk)
- Flashlights and tons of extra batteries. (add wind up or shake LED light, and forget the batteries)
- FM/AM radio (add wind up or solar radio and forget the batteries)
- Matches and something to use as a fire starter
- Med kit and iodine for the water.
- Dust masks
- Candles, matches
- Canned gas (I’ve been wondering if this is such a good idea) (add solid fuel tabs or sterno and forget the liquid.)
- Plastic to cover the windows (add blue tarp for roof replacement and or outside shelter)
If you know any other things I should take into consideration please tell me. I would would appreciate it.
Thnx

Ive made what I think are good suggestions, I put them between () Also if you live in a house with natural or LP gas you will want a shut off wrench for the gas main. and the main water supply as well.

Also y7ou will want to keep the water espically in a safe place. We keep our emergency water seperated. Some in the house some in the garage and some in each car. So if you cant get to one you will have a better chance of getting to one of the others.

Just my opinion hope it helps.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
not sure if either of these are available in your area, but also look for chlorine tablets (to clean water for drinking, in case all supplies are used / tainted).

Also, look for MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) - they are waterproof, precooked and filled with enough calories to keep you alive for a week.

Best of luck to you!

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm STILL putting together a survival kit as we speak, then again, I think everyone is always adding to theirs.

So far, this is what I have in mine.

Magnesium Fire Starter
Water Purification Tablets (100 gallons worth)
Signal Mirror
Emegency Wind Storm Whistle
Compass
(12) pr of waterproof seal skin socks
(4) bottles of no rinse shampoo
(4) bottles of G.I. soap
Tube Tent
(4) Emergency Blankets
G.I. Deoderant (1 use lasts 14 days)
Cold Steel Trailsman Axe
Pocket "Chainsaw"
(6) 24 hour candles
Sog Multitool
Sog Tigershark Knife
Several face masks
(6) Rolls of Duct Tape
(12) Rolls of electrical tape
(2) 14x14 camo tarps
(3) 1 Gallon collapsable clear water jugs w/ handles
(2) G.I. Hammocks w/ insect guards
(4 or 5) bottles of Sunscreen w/ insect repellant
U.S. Edible Plants Identification cards
Outdoor Survival Guide
Binoculars 12x50
(4) Mess Kits
(1) Campers grill 12x20" ?
(2) cast irons pot sets

Aside from that, I also have 12-14 CASES of MRE's given to me by my brother who's in the Army, and nearly 6 dozen food bars.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I don't really keep water stocked up, because I live in an area of Illinois, where there's literally water all around, and plenty of places nearby, that bottles water.

I do need to stock up on more water purification tablets, and add another firestarter though.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a simple kit?
an ak 47 with 1000 rounds

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
kit addition suggestion:

Add a couple of 10ml bottles of both Tea-Tree oil concentrate (anti-fungal, anti-septic, anti-inflammatory) and Clove oil concentrate (painkilling properties for dental use...invaluable!)

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I also keep a pencil and paper in a ziploc bag (ink runs out)
Sharpie markers and large chalk for marking things (buildings already searched)
Dust masks
at least two knives (a buck folding knife and a dagger type)
mini binoculars
ziploc bag full of disposable rubber gloves (most med kits have 1 to 2 pair)
neoprene and leather work gloves
multitool
whistle in case you are under debris

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well thnx guys, I see most of your post helped with an item or two to put on my list. In my opinion the most important thing is the water because Bogota is an aprox. 8.5 million people city with little to none emergency response mechanisms. I think after the first day or two, if the water goes they will literally be mobs on the street killing themselves for a sip on the streets. I started stoking up on water yesterday, cot about 10L for two people and a baby up till now. What really worries me and I can’t get around here (because only criminals carry guns in this country) would be a gun preferably a shotgun and a sidearm + many rounds in ammo. We already defended our house once many years ago with baseball bats and trench shovels when a friendly drug lord decided to have his men “dump” a car bomb a block away…
The other thing that really has me worried is the baby as I can’t really think of any type of non perishable baby food besides formula and oatmeal. Maybe some of you guys could tell me something about how to get prepared for that situation…
I really appreciate all your help guy, thnx again!

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Don't forget about a gun, guys!

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Oh a baby that changes things. I haven't had a baby around in many years I will do some research and get back to you if others haven't. give me a couple of days.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Ok thanks! I'll be waiting for your answer angryamerican.
Today I'm going to buy some of the more expensive stuff for the kit. I'll Post what I get and prices (just so you can see how bad the rip us off here for that type of stuff!).
Well thnx again for all your help!

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If you have a baby, stock up on enough baby supplies such as diapers, small jars of baby food, wipes, clothes, and such for two weeks or more. (You may not be able to wash clothes the minute the water and electricity come back on.) Water is one of the essentials for a baby. you will need a lot more with a baby because almost every thing you do with a baby requires water. I'll post more latter I'm a little pressed for time at the moment.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
If you have a baby, stock up on enough baby supplies such as diapers, small jars of baby food, wipes, clothes, and such for two weeks or more. (You may not be able to wash clothes the minute the water and electricity come back on.) Water is one of the essentials for a baby. you will need a lot more with a baby because almost every thing you do with a baby requires water. I'll post more latter I'm a little pressed for time at the moment.

Sure thing man, I'm already on it. I think this can be either handled well (preparing ourselves) or end in catastrophe.... I already have what I would call my med kit and a few other things tomorrow I'll post some pics and put up a price list in pesos (just in case anyone wants to know how expensive this is in a third world country. I'm just to tired today. sorry

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
while I've got a minute, I would like to remind you to stock up on diapers. In a survival situation disposalable is better then cloth.

Cloth must be washed wasting your precious water. even if you find a stream or lake it may not be safe water in-dangering your baby.

Disposable can be stored or tossed in a safe location put in a garbage bag and preferably buried so it wont pose a contamination risk. of course whats in them will decompose but the plastic shells will not.

disposables are also lighter then the same amount of cloth diapers.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Who's gonna be stupid enough to use a cloth diaper on a child?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
They have those flashlights now that have a little dynamo inside with a capacitor that holds the electricity created by cranking a handle. You never need batteries for these flashlights. They also have crank radios. There are also small solar cell collectors for recharging batteries or operation of radios and other electronics. You could replace the striker flint that is used to start fires with a few 9volt batteries and steel wool. When you rub the 9volt battery across the steel wool it creates a heating element which can catch small tender on fire.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelMyers
Who's gonna be stupid enough to use a cloth diaper on a child?

Lots of people still use cloth diapers, especially in third world country's ware disposable diapers are hard to find. Cloth diapers are better on the environment. there are people out there who actually still care about the planet we live on. They are getting few and far between but they are out there. There are also people who use glass bottles instead of the playtex nurser which uses plastic bag liners that take about 10000 years to decompose.

theres more to survival then preparing for an emergency. Survival to me is keeping bad things from happening in the first place. that includes taking care of our home. The only time I ever recommend disposable any thing is when there is no other choice. Such as in a earth quake zone. Ive already stated the reasons for why. however when not in the emergency survival situation cloth is always better.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
As far as babies and toddlers go for food ideas there is one thing that my three year old has always loved to eat and that's hot cereal with applesauce poured over the top. The fruit makes it very sweet and it's extremely filling. Oatmeal and also applesauce are very effective in the treatment and prevention of diarrhea (the LAST thing you'd want in an emergency). Loaded with fiber! One packet of hot cereal contains three grams of protein too, helping to give a full feeling. Hot cereal and applesauce are inexpensive and easy to store.
Canned beans and vegies are also a must. They can be eaten cold and beans like kidney beans contain tons of protein (for satiety/healing/repair internally)
Soft granola bars (like Nutrigrain brand) keep well and kids don't mind the taste.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join