It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rapper 50 cent's song is censored on his uncensored album (let's question society)...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
so i am listening to 50 cent's newest album and i have noticed that one track, entitled 'man down,' is censored, while the rest of the album is not

i have read that the track in question is about killing cops, but still

the rest of the album is full of sex, drug references, guns, murder and all that other stuff rap is made up of these days...

are we really up to the stage where it is that bad to talk about killing officers of the law, but other things can be blatantly stated???

i am all for freedom of speech, but i also respect the fact that the various mediums that people use to communicate their freedom of speech, in this case 'interscope records,' has rights to put limits on what can be said...

i just find this whole thing interesting...

just that one song is censored (actually just certain parts of the song are, the other parts have curses in them!) and the rest of the album is not...

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Interesting, I wonder who actually had it censored.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I dont really listen to rap anymore so I haven't heard this track, but I suppose it's kinda like the Eminem track where he talked about killing his mothers lawyer and also some school shooting a few years back. They had to censor those parts but the rest of the album was uncensored.

I think Em was with Interscope at that time too so maybe they have some kind of policy which allows them to censor anything that's a bit too out of hand

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Yeah, noticed this too (pretty hard not to
), and if Ive understood this right interscope just dont accept lyrics about cop killing.

But yeah, its still pretty odd fifty cant get what he wants here, while he does with everything else.

There are alot of rap song out there about cop killing, but I guess thats more underground than fifty is, maybe its easier to slip through there.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this is not un common in hip-hop. There are plenty of uncensored albums out there with tracks on them that have been censored.

Immortal Technique comes to mind, and so does eminem.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenya
Interesting, I wonder who actually had it censored.

i am pretty sure that it was 'interscope records'...

they have a review board or something and they make the final calls, i guess...

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
is the 50 album hot? i wanna go cop that

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I doubt fitty cares as long as he can sell a few million more albums.Its artists like him that making rap an absolute whorefest

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
i like 50 though. I mean i like his the style of his flow but really besides him & a few other guys in the mainstream there aint nothing left. gotta go for the realness, hip-hop

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by WagonMafia

Sorry man, I really cant see where you hear the flow. Fifty aint got no flow, fifty aint got good lyrics, fifty got confidence and he knows how to make money. Thats pretty much it.

Fifty is the president of commercial hiphop. Hiphop aint dead, but the most popular hiphop is the commercial, where rappers with no flow rap about hoes, guns, money, drugs etc.
The beats are good, the songs sound good, but if you listen closely, you find no quality in this.

But somehow, you still listen to it and like it.
Its all business. They go for the masses, they play it on the radio until people start to like it.

To quote Chris Rock; "If the beats all right, shell dance all night!"

A good beat is the key, thats the first thing people pay attention to.
If they like the beat, they like the song. That is the average joe that just happen to like hiphop.

People who are about real hiphop listen to the underground artists, theyre keepin it real, and are the kings of hiphop.

Fifty is simply entertainment for those who dont give a # about what the song is really about.

Underground hiphop is the real deal, support it!

[edit on 11-9-2007 by darksky]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It happens, rampant censorship, though it tends to be more in places where people can be arrested for slander or even treason.

Take for example, Jedi Mind Tricks. Not the most intelligent rap group, but political nonetheless, they have a hidden track on "Legacy of Blood" which is about taking the president hostage. Unlike any other track on the album, its been censored, not for bad language, but for the names of people. Evidently this means they would get in serious trouble for using names. This in comparison to notions themselves, such as Immortal Technique, who talks of the President getting assassinated whilst hes sniffing his coke, which is a direct reference to Bush, but as names have no been used, censorship does not take place.

It's a nonsense in any case, people should be allowed to say what they say. If its stupid, only stupid people will listen. If its not, then it can change things.

However, personally, I don't really care that 50 Cent has been censored. The mans an embarassment.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
First of all i think 50 Cent is a pop artist more than a hip-hop artist, I am no hater though the man has made hes millions good on him.
The direction hip-hop has gone now is all about marketing, who cares if the guy has talent or not we will just chuck some heavy beats on and rap about guns, money and we cant forget about the women.

In 1988, One of the first gangster rap groups N.W.A released their album Straight Outta Compton under the record label Ruthless Records with a very controversial song titled *SNIP*.
This song also talked about killing cops and such but nothing is censored on the album.

Anyway the best advice i can give is check some old rap out when it was fresh like Big L, Onyx, House Of Pain and anything buy a Wu member is gold, Sorry but with 50 it seems like i have heard it all before and it is not getting any better.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
He's basically pop music and will always be censored to some effect. He's a puppet of the record company.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Exactly, because he POP, his A&Rs can't be having Cop Killer lyrics being played by a bunch of 14 year olds. Their Parents will sue... Even if the parents are the ones buying the kids the albums...

DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
theres no conspiracy here, this is below top secret.

if there is any conspiracy in hip hop, then its that intelligent, conscious, criticial and positive hip hop is not promoted by the big companies while the bitch-ho-nigga-murder hip hop is promoted by the big companies.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

I thought people stopped caring about Fifty years ago.

listen to some real hip/hop or rap. check Mobb Deep's album The Infamous.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I dont like rap, it promotes sensless violence and glamourises criminals. Most of these rappers dont have a clue what a real gangster is. just cos you carried an illegal handgun, and dealt some coke don't make you a ganster or anything special. you think these guys make money from selling drugs and killing people or making Propaganda music?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I know this post was posted long back since.
I just wanted to give my opinion. 50 Cent should alternate undesirable words to his lyrics; so it can commercialized to the masses.
Anyways, I can't cope with his song (culture). I'm Asian.

[gratuitous link removed]

[edit on 1-8-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

top topics

join