It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rods.... What are they?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I've heard and read some things about rods but I am still pretty confused to what people think they are, etc
Is there any proof/disproof of their existance? What do our resident local biologists think about them?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Bugs

Well, as far as I am concerned.

Keep in mind that the frame rate for video cameras is 30 frames per second. This is the same as a camera shutter speed of slightly more that 1/30.

Insects fly at many different speeds. Some of the fastest can hit up to 30 km/hr. (or more with a tail wind
)

If we assume that a moth is flying by at between 2 and three meters per second, at 1/30, of a second, the moth will have traveled between 2.4 and 3.6 inches, about the size of the �rod.� Furthermore, if you take a close up look at many of the �rod� pictures, you can actually see the individual wing beats. In fact Entomologists have used videos to study these very aspects of insect flight.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yup, bugs. Nothing more. It's amazing what some people will believe.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
nod I read one site about that debunking rods, but i think it's interesting about the colours of them, mostly white from what i've seen...
though I am sure most of the 'rod' pictures can be debunked by said theory

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I have never seen a rods video that didn't look like motion blurred insects. I cannot believe that people still think there is something more to this particular video anomaly.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think that some people read about them first, rather than see them.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I had a whole thread about the rods or skyfish.

ATS Thread

Some great stuff here including links to many sites about them.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
thanks... just wanted to get your opinions on it, havent read too deeply into it nor seen too many pro/con arguments

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well if people want to believe that they are bugs then that is a big improvement IMHO. That is better than dust, light flares, and other abberations that this phenom could be blamed on.

Is anyone aware of the velocities of these things being recorded? I believe one site attempted to determine the rate of speed of this activity captured.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i read 500-1000 mph somewhere.

top topics

join