It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
In 2005, 98% of the world's population, 6 billion people, adhered to one type of superstition or another. We're not doing that much better than people in the middle ages or antiquity, really...

Do you think that most people will stop believing one day and religions will be abandoned?

Religion is harmful, not only to individuals but also to society. And we will only start real progress when we will have left these bronze age tales behind us. They disable rational thought and logic, and hamper society's progress.

There are islamists that blow themselves up each day killing innocent civilians because they firmly believe that by doing so they will get eternal life. They accept this as if it was common knowledge and fact.

It's not.

There are also fundamentalists in the USA that think global warming is nonsense and that there's nothing that should be done about it because, well, it's obvious, jesus will return and take them to heaven leaving billions to be killed by ecological disasters.

I could go on and talk about jehovah's refusing blood transfers, or letting cancer kill them because it's god's will, or muslim honor slaughters...

It's also a good answer to Fermi's paradox, who would want to be greeted by apes that think the universe was made by a sky fairy?

[edit on 10-9-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I think that religion is ignorant, primitive and downright contrictive.

But, I respect it. I don't mind what religion someone follows, as long as they don't pressure me into following it. When people realise that some don't want to believe in deity's then I'll be happy and maybe we can all get along and rocket forwards in technology, among other things.

The sad truth is though, that religion isn't going to go away any time soon, it could be with humans until the end of times for all we know.

We've just gotta be tolerant, even when the majority aren't with us 'heathens'.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanzibar

yes... we do need to be "respectful" and "tolerant"
but only to an extent.

you still have every right to question the ridiculous beliefs...
and honestly, some of the stuff practiced shouldn't be tolerated.
christians in america sending their kids to "hell houses" on halloween to put the fear of hell into them? that's outright psychological abuse, and should NOT be tolerated.

evangelical brainwashing camps for kids? again, shouldn't be tolerated.

there is plenty in religion that we should have NO respect for and NO tolerance for

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSide

I beleive that the human race is evolving beyond the need for religion or superstitions, but we have a LONG way to go. That 98% of the population that is either brainwashed or delusional will not easily be convinced that they're wrong. Heck, many people don't CARE that they hold false beliefs, because the beliefs make them feel good (for the most part). Myself, I can't understand why they hold on to these antiquated ideas. It seems that people only believe what they beleive because they were raised to, the bunch of sheep!

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   

It seems that people only believe what they beleive because they were raised to, the bunch of sheep!

Because a child's brain is very elastic and is designed to absorb information easily, especially coming from elders.

Here's a text by R.Dawkins on the subject :

Virus of the Mind

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSide

So then, what is preventing the "there is nothing supernatural" meme from taking hold and replicating? Is it that not enough answers are known by science yet? The answers provided by religion must be very comforting, even though they're totally wrong, so that people are reluctant to give up.

It's really frustrating to see people waste their lives on this religious tripe, though!

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333
So then, what is preventing the "there is nothing supernatural" meme from taking hold and replicating? Is it that not enough answers are known by science yet? The answers provided by religion must be very comforting, even though they're totally wrong, so that people are reluctant to give up.

It's really frustrating to see people waste their lives on this religious tripe, though!

The universe is hostile, and it's reality is hard to accept emotionally, religion comforts people in assuring there's something looking after them and that they will survive our greatest fear : death.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I also think that religion gives people a reason to feel superior towards other people, feeding into the tribal "us vs. them" mentality. It's hard to give up the feelings of superiority for many.

I think there is a distinction between spiritual people (who follow any creed including Christianity) -- who tend to be more tolerant of others' beliefs or unbeliefs, and religious people, who tend to be more intolerant because they don't question what they're taught and go blindly with what their church tells them, despite possible conflicts with true morality and conscience (gay-bashing, AIDS is a judgment from god, women have to be covered head to toe because men can't control themselves, and this sort of nonsense).

If we could get beyond the need for RELIGION, I could live with spiritual people, despite my thinking that spirituality is also superstition. The spiritual-minded are more open to accepting alternative views, and don't treat scientific knowledge like a red-headed step-child.

Do I think the world would be better off without religion? Yes, absolutely. I think it would probably be better off without ALL superstition, but one step at a time. Getting over dogmatic religious doctrine and into the realm of most people being more open minded, if still having a supernatural meme, would be a great stride forward for our species, IMO.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
i dont know how accurate that 98% thing is though. I live in a fairly large town in England and i hardly ever meet a truly religious person. the closest you get is people who were baptised, have never been to church but say they think theres something out there because there scared of what might happen if god is real. I hate the way religious people try to force their views upon people.

I bet there would be outrage if i started knocking on doors and telling people that God isnt real, but for some reason its fine for them to say he is.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maylian

I bet there would be outrage if i started knocking on doors and telling people that God isnt real, but for some reason its fine for them to say he is.

It's been done. In Utah, no less ...

top topics

join