It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Defense Rifle?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Judging by where the ejectin port is, this is doubtless the 10.5 inch model, the 12.5 inch would probably have a flash hider on the barrel extension.

As a rule of thumb, for most weapons the bolt closes over the ejection port when the bolt is closed, which means that the rear of the round sits in front of the closed bolt. So if you look at the front end of the ejection port, this is where the base of the round would sit. The tip of the bullet would be a couple of inches further forward of this. This means that the barrel on this version is about 2 inches long.

Even if this was the 10" version, have you ever fired a 5.56mm weapon with a barrel this lenght without a flash suppressor? You lose your eyebrows and the recoil just gets silly on automatic. This happened on the earlier HK53s before we got the newer verson with a better flash hider.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What's the fuss about this thing when the AKS-74U has been around for some time nows.

Overall length: 735 mm (490 mm with folded buttstock)
Barrel length: 210 mm
Caliber: 5,45x39 mm

Sure it's effective to 200m while this personal defense rifle is good up to 300 meters, but since we are talking about personal defense this is WAY more then enough. an AKS-74U can has a foldable buttstock, can be easily concealed, can carry a 45 round magazine if you want, and can fire AP rounds. Again if we're talking about personal defense - since you can't own auto rifles it's recoil doesn't come into play. because of the design the AKS is stronger even when using the same caliber I belive.
This new defense rifle thing doesn't compare in my opinion.

Regards,
Maestro

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by maestro46
What's the fuss about this thing when the AKS-74U has been around for some time nows.

Aye, there're loads of shorty assault weapons in rifle calibres knocking about - HK 53, G36C etc. People seem to be re-inventing the wheel for assault rifles these days. Sticking another 5.56mm assault carbine on the shelf will dilute even further an already over filled market place.

But, I suppose there will always be some muppet who will buy it despite it's obvious shortcomings and the fact that there are almost certainly more ergonomic and battle-proven weapons out there already, just because it looks a bit sexy.

I find that the sort of people who buy this type of shooter tend to have limited skills with weapons and hope that by strapping bits and bobs to the front of their weapon and buying guccy, go-faster accessories, it makes them into some sort of uber-ninja-super-sniper. Here's a tip - it won't.

There are cheaper and more robust weapons out there that will easily meet the same specs as this thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
A personal survival rifle should be reliable, lightweight, suitable for defense as well as for hunting small game. Of course, any survival rifle should be able to utilize ammunition that will be readily available.

In my mind, the best "personal survival rifle" would have to be the Ruger Mini M14 (aka "the Ranch Rifle")

It's a great little rifle that is available in a variety of models from a standard wood stock model to some rather exotic looking variations. But, looks aside, it's reliability that's important in a survival weapon and the Ruger Mini 14 is certainly a time-proven weapon.

In a survival situation, the mini 14 is a reliable and accurate weapon for hunting small game ; squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, etc. And for defense, the ruger mini 14 is able to put out a rather high rate of fire reliably. Frankly, it's a really fun rifle to just go 'plinking' but, should the necessity arise, it can be quite a serious piece of business.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
A personal survival rifle should be reliable, lightweight, suitable for defense as well as for hunting small game. Of course, any survival rifle should be able to utilize ammunition that will be readily available.

This isn't a survival rifle nor is it advertised as such, it's a personal defence weapon. I think this is the thread you are looking for mate.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
Even if this was the 10" version, have you ever fired a 5.56mm weapon with a barrel this lenght without a flash suppressor? You lose your eyebrows and the recoil just gets silly on automatic. This happened on the earlier HK53s before we got the newer verson with a better flash hider.

Exactly my point, I would not want to shoot 5.56mm out of a 10 inch bullpup.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join