It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigfoot sighting in Western OK?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hi there, newbie here with a story that, unfortunately, is second-hand. This 'sighting' came to me via my boyfriend's coworker and requires a little bit of background information.

My boyfriend and I both lived in western Oklahoma at the time. He was working for a water disposal well that was located, literally, in the middle of nowhere. It was 20 minutes away from civilization, except for one little gas station about 5 miles away. The site itself was about the size of a football field and surrounded by trees, hills, and grass. To say it's a spooky place at night is a bit of an understatement. Honestly, it scared me half to death.

This disposal ran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Employees worked 12 hour shifts, one that ran from noon to midnight (my boyfriend's shift) and one that ran from midnight to noon (his coworker's shift). Since it ran all night long, the owner installed stadium-style lights around the site, so that you could see everything from one end of the site to the other, but absolutely NOTHING outside its perimeter.

On this particular night I was at the site visiting my boyfriend. During summer the guys there didn't have much to do, so most of their time was spent sitting inside a tiny metal building watching TV and drinking Mt. Dew. It was around 11:45 p.m. and he was sweeping the building out and getting ready to go home. At 11:50, his coworker walked in.

Right then we both noticed that something was wrong. The guy was pale, he was tensed up, and it looked like all he could do to keep from passing out. My boyfriend asked him what was wrong, and he said that he'd been driving down the gravel road to the site when "something" stepped out in front of his car.

He described the 'something' as being bipedal, very large, covered in hair, and with a slouching gait. I suggested that it was possibly a bear, since, while they are very rare in these parts, are not unheard of. The guy shook his head and said "No, not a bear." He told us that the thing had stepped into the road about 50 feet ahead, just far enough to be seen in the headlights, but too far away to really tell exactly what it was. It had, according to him, walked into the road, paused for a moment to look toward the car (the coworker slammed on his brakes as soon as he saw it) and walked off the road and into the shadows.

While it was quite common to see bobcats, coyotes, and all manner of critters out there, we couldn't think of anything that walked on two legs. Midnight came and my boyfriend and I left, but we didn't see anything at all suspicious on the drive home.

After that night (because I have an over-developed sense of curiosity) I prompted my boyfriend to ask his coworker about the incident several times. Each time, his coworker refused to talk about what happened, or even acknowledge that it happened.

I like to think of myself as a logical person, but I'm drawing a blank here. The only thing I can think of is that the guy was falling asleep at the wheel (it was midnight, after all) and he thought he saw something. It's happened to me before, though never quite so vividly - normally I think I see something out of the corner of my eye, turn, and realize I was just imagining things.

So what do you think? I found this site by accident and it made me think of that night. It also made me wonder if anyone has any idea of what else it might be.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hey welcome aboard, and nice story.

OK has had many sightings of BF in the past as has many other places around the world. As far as what your subject saw... many possibilities but being a fan, I would lead towards BF ( based on info provided ).

Something about "the driving alone at night" stories that get the goosebumps dancing.

Your story is 'similar' to another members on here, Gemwolf.

His story is a good read if you are interested in Bigfoot, but as mentioned it is somewhat similar to your account, except in the first person.

Many sightings can be whisked away as something else, even by those who witness them, but I feel that when you see something that shouldn't be there... you know the difference.

Good post, and welcome.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Grailkeeper]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

Thanks, I'll have to look through here for Gemwolf's account.

See, I knew about a Bigfoot expedition that goes on every now and then in far eastern Oklahoma, but I'd never heard any accounts that happened out in the western parts.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
Your story is 'similar' to another members on here, Gemwolf.
[edit on 12-9-2007 by Grailkeeper]

Considering the fact that I've never been in the USA, it would've been quite an accomplishment for me if I've seen Bigfoot.

I think you're confusing me with Mr Wupy. He’s got the similar Bigfoot experience.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Sorry about that.

Why yes.... yes it was Mr. Wupy.

Mr. Wupy/Gemwolf... you can see how I mixed that up.LOL

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zyanith

See, I knew about a Bigfoot expedition that goes on every now and then in far eastern Oklahoma, but I'd never heard any accounts that happened out in the western parts.

There's actually been 2 or three sightings in the area south of I-40, west of Hwy 81 and north of Hwy 7 (north of Pumpkin Center running toward Clinton/Hinton area). And they are very similar to the one you describe. One was a woman with her little boy and it occurred in the middle of the day, if I recall correctly. The "thing" stepped out in the roadway just as happened to your friend.

Check out BFRO and look up Oklahoma sightings, you'll see that there are a few in that area. I am curious as to whether the location you are referring to falls in this same general area.

P.S. While "bear" gets used a lot by debunkers as a possible explanation when talking about Bigfoot sightings, bears do NOT walk around bipedal.

[edit on 9-18-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Maybe we should start our own ATS expedition, and bring along some of these guys :

monster men

I'm sure they could help capture a 10 foot being!

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

This was about an hour west of Clinton - about 5 miles east of Sweetwater and 20 miles west of Elk City. I know there have been several BF sightings near Hammon (a good friend of mine lives in Hammon and likes to tell me about all the paranormal goings-on, including a legend about The Man With No Face), but I had never heard of any even near Elk City, which is where I lived for the first 18 years of my life.

I'll definitely look at the BFRO and see what they've found around that area. Even though I don't have any means of contacting the co-worker (my boyfriend quit the job when we moved), I'm quite intrigued. It's interesting to wonder what was lurking in the trees around my childhood house all those years.

six

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I was watching a show on the travel channel called "Bigfootville". They showed quite a few siteings around Elk City..They shot that show in 2002

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by six

Really? Wow, I'm amazed I didn't at least hear about that documentary (I assume it was a documentary, at least). Granted, that was a good 5 years ago and I wasn't too keen on keeping up with my community's goings-on at that point.

Maybe I can find it on TV sometime. If not, there's always ebay. It'd be interesting to watch it and see if I recognize anyone.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
i have read quite a few BF stories from in and around OK.

one thing that has always bothered me about the bigfoot phenomena at least in the south/mid west is its said that they would need a sustained breeding population of at least 500 to survive in such a widespread area.

anyway, you can find that program and alot of other cool ones like it one one of the many torrent sites on the net.

Thanks for the good story.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hi and welcome.

I lived in W. Okla. from 1975 until 1995, when I moved to E. Okla.

Lived mostly in Sayre and Elk City areas, but also lived a few years in Cordell.

In the late 70's, a neighbor in Sayre and his wife told me about some personal encounters with BF there. They said the encounters were on a friendly basis, and of course the majority of people thought they were just nuts.

Now, while it is true that they were both on the slow side, they were also very gentle people, so I think there was a chance that maybe BF didn't feel threatened by them and who am I to say they weren't telling the truth? I wasn't there to see it.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowEyes

Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm not too surprised to find out that there are quite a few sightings around Sayre. It's a small town, and there are enough wooded areas around there (due to the river) that a lot of things could live there and go undetected, BFs possibly included.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zyanith
Sayre. It's a small town, and there are enough wooded areas around there (due to the river) that a lot of things could live there and go undetected, BFs possibly included.

Yes indeed.

There is also a well spoken of idea that there is some type of big cat living in the wods around the river. Many have said it's a black panther, but I've never seen it.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowEyes

I'd never heard that. But then again, I never paid a lot of attention to the goings-on in Sayre (since I lived in Elk at the time and there was... well, no reason to go to Sayre
). I'll have to ask around and find out of any of my Sayre contacts have heard of that.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zyanith

it is very well a creature , i heard someone had hit one out in C and A country!

top topics

join