It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police break up anti-war meeting in Washington

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

www.impeachbush.org

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Mounted police charged in to break up an outdoor press conference and demonstration against the Iraq war in Washington on Thursday, arresting three people, organizers and an AFP reporter said.

"The police suppressed the press conference. In the middle of the speeches, they grabbed the podium" erected in a park in front of the White House for the small gathering, Brian Becker, national organizer of the ANSWER anti-war coalition, told AFP.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
"A petition calling for the impeachment of President George W. Bush, allegedly carrying one million signatures and endorsed by former US attorney general Ramsey Clark, will also be submitted to officials during the week's activities."
The ANSWER coalition is trying to rally support for an anti-war demonstration in Washington that is due to take place on September 15.

Last month, the movement was threatened with a fine of at least 10,000 dollars unless it removed posters in the city announcing the September 15 march.

Washington city authorities have said the posters had to come down because they were stuck on with adhesive that did not meet city regulations.

"At our demonstration today we were showing the media that the paste we use conforms to the rules," Becker said.

"One of our activists was making a speech when the police barged in and grabbed the podium. At that point, Tina Richards started to put up a poster, so they arrested her and two others."

"This strategy of suppression has not worked. We expect many tens of thousands of people" in Washington for the September 15 anti-war demonstration, he said.

The march has been timed to coincide with the release of a report by the US military commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus, and will be part of a week of protests led by veterans of the Iraq war.

A petition calling for the impeachment of President George W. Bush, allegedly carrying one million signatures and endorsed by former US attorney general Ramsey Clark, will also be submitted to officials during the week's activities, ANSWER has told AFP.

www.impeachbush.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

I had opened a thread that did not get many replies in reference to the subject of impeachment of George W. Bush Rally, on Sep. 15, 2007. I guess this answers that question. Seems that it is true that the rally is going to take place. But what do you think of the police's heavy-handed tactics here? and the nit-picking over how signs are displayed? Do you think L'il Georgie might be behind it? Or do you think that the police are truly doing their job to the nth degree? For we see that it's not just the impeachment issue that is being rallied here, but an anti-war rally, as well.

Are our freedoms being ripped away right in front of our eyes?

[edit on 9/10/2007 by janasstar]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by janasstar

To those of you who might be interested in participating in this movement (impeachment of George W. Bush) I have included a letter from Ramsey Clark, with full information and a link to his website.

Please circulate to friends, family members, and listervs**

An Appeal from Ramsey Clark

ImpeachBush volunteer_250
A volunteer prepares ImpeachBush signs for this Saturday's March on Washington.
Former U.S. Attorney General has written a major statement to ImpeachBush members and supporters on the eve of the September 15 Peace/Impeachment March on Washington DC. Below is an excerpt from the statement, which can be read in its entirety by clicking the link at the bottom of the email.

Dear ______,

Impeachment and conviction are the only way to prevent further aggressions by Bush. It will tell his successors that the President of the United States and the officials who serve with him are not above the law and that where the people are vigilant, they will be held accountable. This message is imperative now.

The largest possible turnout at the demonstration in Washington on September 15 is an essential part of the struggle. Major demonstrations have temporarily stayed the hand or altered the course of the government time and time again. Remember the Civil Rights rally in front of the Lincoln Memorial in 1963 where Dr. King described his dream, or the March on the Pentagon in October 1967 that was the turning point for public opinion toward opposition to the War in Vietnam.

President Bush has unlimited resources with which to confuse, mislead, divert, deceive and overcome the real interests and will of the people. The disadvantage at which we work is revealed by the mere $15 million a handful of his former Ambassadors (all rich, including a multi-billionaire named the third-richest American) have contributed for TV ads in the weeks before September 15 to support a continued Surge in Iraq.

But organized, the power of the people is Supreme. For $150,000—only one hundredth of what was spent on this single TV Campaign supporting the U.S. occupation of Iraq—we can place ads in newspapers across the country calling for impeachment of the Bush cabal that will reach millions who rarely hear the word, and may ignite a movement that can finally overcome.

There are just over 950,000 persons who have voted to Impeach George Bush, Dick Cheney and others on the www.impeachbush.org... website. It would be wonderful to be able to announce that One Million have signed on at the September 15 rally. Individual efforts and newspaper ads in the next week could do it. I hope you can lend a hand in this effort.

Will you help us raise these funds and persevere in the struggle to liberate America from its militarism to become a friend of humanity and champion of peace?

Please make an urgently needed donation by clicking this link.

Sincerely,
Ramsey Clark

To read the full message from Ramsey Clark click this link.
www.impeachbush.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Sounds like more good old fashioned Double standard and abuse of power in order to protect the privileged.

If this rally was to go off after proper exposure, it could lead to a "crises of democracy" (where the people actually expecting their voices to be heard).
Can't have that now.
Crush the masses, CRUSH THEM!

Americans should be paying this thread attention. If I was a US citizen, I'd defiantly be at that rally.

PS: If you do attend, make sure to bring recording equipment! Audio, video, camcorder, cellphone, digital camera, voice recorder, *whatever*. Chances are rather high that things will happen there that should be shown to the rest of the world.

Oh yeah, bandanna's and water bottles. Make sure to bring them too.
Very handy when the pepperspray and teargas starts flying. Magazines tucked under your shirt, front and back, can help reduce the damage that rubber bullets do too.

Yup. I'm a Canadian that's attended a few protests.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

Bless your 'American' spirit. Please take that in the manner it was meant. It seems at times we have more patriots outside the U.S. We are all asking each other, "when are we going to wake up?"

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
What!! WOW! IF this is true

I gotta see this one. Please! Tell me someone caught this on video?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

you didn't see the attached video link? it is on here.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

you didn't see the attached video link? it is on here.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
i dont see a video link either.

please post separately.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

it's probably under www.impeachbush.org link, but i'll run it down again. stand by.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

okay, let's see if this works.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So this is what a police state looks like in the beginning huh?
Gotta love an American endorsed dictatorship.
Wake up and smell the facisum!

[edit on 10-9-2007 by Black_Fox]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Here's the video

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
We are so screwed. I'm sorry. The police are SO DAMN out of control in this country! It is unbelievable! We need to set some really strict laws down on what police can do and can't! If we have to include a law that says cowboy coper can't come riding in with his horse like a stupid hero and physically push people back with his horse then we NEED to do that! Man.. Idk.. not looking good, all i can say.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

if you care to voice an opinion in a more real way....

100 transportation centers - Get on the bus!
Click this link for more information.

Sept15 button
Put this button on
your blog or website

To organize transportation, click this link.
To become a volunteer, click this link.
To endorse the march, click this link.

To download Sept. 15 literature, click this link.
To order Sept. 15 literature, click this link.

and also,

Sept15 button
Put this button on
your blog or website

and also

Sept15 button
Put this button on
your blog or website

Sept15 button
Put this button on
your blog or website

www.Sept15.org

somehow that didn't comeout as it should have. but go to www.Sept15.org
and maybe that will take care of it. If not, I'll work on this.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
In my honest opinion, America will not wake up until it is too late. There is still a mentality that "it can't happen here" and you can look into any thread on ATS where a police officer has abused his power and find many others who will defend the officer. A lot of people just can't understand anything outside of what they have been taught to believe until they see it for themselves. Even when they see it, most will not do anything about it.

I think there are many reasons for this. The first being we have been programmed to submit to authority. Do as you are told and things will go fine. Trust your police officers they will not screw you over. They know better.

I had a conversation with my older brother the other day. We walked terrorism, politics, economy. I used it as a chance to open his eyes and his responses to me said it all. At first he was accepting, but dismissive. Then a lot of "I'm worried about you. Are you paranoid?" After I presented him with documents and facts to back up my opinion his response was, "I have to worry about getting out of debt, I dont have time for this" I used that as a cue to explain how the economy is being destroyed by design. Told him about the Amero and how the Mexican trucks are now rolling. Showed him some main stream articles and the reply I got? "I have enough of my own problems"

Our way of life has been shattered. People have "their own problems" that have been created for them over years and years and years of policy, laws, ordanainces. The middle class can barely keep its head above water as they continue to try to find ways to maintain their standard of living, while the poor got poorer and are too distracted trying to find a way to eat. I am starting to think that America is not so much asleep as they are distracted and apathetic.

ImpeachBush and Unity 08 I believe also have protest and events scheduled in Washington in Sept and Oct. It is sad to say but it will all do no good. The people we need to enforce Impeachment all play for the other team. When a democratic Congress failed to do anything, that was the signal to us all that Republican and Democrat does not matter. It is Officials vs Citizens.

Interesting to note: They used to be called "Public Servants" now we call them "Officials". When is the last time you have heard the term "Public Servant" used in the Mainstream Media to describe any person who holds office?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by section8citizen
Interesting to note: They used to be called "Public Servants" now we call them "Officials". When is the last time you have heard the term "Public Servant" used in the Mainstream Media to describe any person who holds office?

Wow great post and GREAT question. I can say I am 22 and I have NEVER heard that term in the news and now that I think about it that is ALL they should be called. It should be used over and over to remind ourselves that they are just that, "public servant".

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by section8citizen
In my honest opinion, America will not wake up until it is too late. There is still a mentality that "it can't happen here" and you can look into any thread on ATS where a police officer has abused his power and find many others who will defend the officer. A lot of people just can't understand anything outside of what they have been taught to believe until they see it for themselves. Even when they see it, most will not do anything about it.

I think there are many reasons for this. The first being we have been programmed to submit to authority. Do as you are told and things will go fine. Trust your police officers they will not screw you over. They know better.

Our way of life has been shattered. People have "their own problems" that have been created for them over years and years and years of policy, laws, ordanainces. The middle class can barely keep its head above water as they continue to try to find ways to maintain their standard of living, while the poor got poorer and are too distracted trying to find a way to eat. I am starting to think that America is not so much asleep as they are distracted and apathetic.

You are very wise, my friend. Much as I hated to, I had to remove much of your quote. You make some strong points here that the Americam people really need to sit up and take notice. Whether we can help it or not, we have become complacent. I do sometimes think that wwe need an old-fashioned "Boston Tea Party!" Just modernized a little to fit today's bill.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Gosh ... What are they scared of ?

Democracy ?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by janasstar

I find myself at a total loss for words. This has caused me to break into tears and after all I have seen in my life I rarely cry any more. The music of America is dying a death of a thousand cuts.

I can scarcely grasp that one of the most beautiful nations in the history of humanity is being destroyed within my lifetime, and I don't think I have cried this much since ... well, it was another war ... and no one wins wars.

For a person with my spiritual convictions, war is God's judgment against nations and peoples by leaving humanity on its own with its greed, lust, hatred, and institutionalised violence.

To quote a more popular text, Don McLean's "Bye, Bye Miss American Pie": 'The three men I admire the most, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, caught the last train for the Coast, the day the music died."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join