It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thruster May Shorten Mars Trip from 6 Months to 1 Week

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balboa

Originally posted by looofo

a = 2s/t^2
Min distance earth/mars = 56000000km
3.5 days acceleration and 3.5 days deceleration

a= 2*28000000000m/(3.5*24*60*60)^2 = 6m/s^2

Not even 1g of acceleration.

So if I am right, it would be a really pleasure of a trip at 2/3 earth gravitation.

Correct me if I did a mistake, I am not an expert.

Assuming that you used an accurate distance and didn't mess up with your calculator, that should be correct because you used the correct formula.

I'd bet that they plan to use 1g of acceleration, which should allow for 'about a week' of travel time for a range of distances (from the minimum mars/earth distance to some larger distance). But it's a good figure for the minimum acceleration needed. Keep in mind that the mars and earth are further apart than this most of the time.

HI

YOU DO REALISE BY PUTTING 10 OF THESE UNITS EACH IN PARALLEL IT WOULD GENERATE 35O uNEWTONS OF THRUST AND WITH A 100 YOU WOULD GET 3500 uNEWTONS OF THRUST...

OR 1000 OF THESE WOULD GIVE 35000 uNEWTONS?

and that v squared =2ad....

a=accel.....d=distance....

by the way if you want a very good laugh go to you tube and type in search:-

leave britney alone.

OR :-

www.youtube.com...

i have never laughed so much....

[edit on 13-9-2007 by esecallum]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Alright! This is wonderful news!

Soon we will finally be able to get 1/8 impulse! Engage!

Make it so!!
But operationalizing it for space travel is going to take years. In the mean time, other faster esoteric forms of propulsion are already being studied seriously like gravity shielding (Check out the LANL website). And that means faster than light travel!

Who knows, we may already be using a similar mode of propulsion as described by the OP, hidden and used only by those black projects! As some contend, we're already up there mining the Moon and Mars with quick turn-around vehicles, with a little help from our 'friends'!! But hey! What do I know? This is all hearsay.

Cheers!

[edit on 16-9-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Alright! This is wonderful news!

Soon we will finally be able to get 1/8 impulse! Engage!

Make it so!!
But operationalizing it for space travel is going to take years. In the mean time, other faster esoteric forms of propulsion are already being studied seriously like gravity shielding (Check out the LANL website). And that means faster than light travel!

Who knows, we may already be using a similar mode of propulsion as described by the OP, hidden and used only by those black projects! As some contend, we're already up there mining the Moon and Mars with quick turn-around vehicles, with a little help from our 'friends'!! But hey! What do I know? This is all hearsay.

Cheers!

[edit on 16-9-2007 by mikesingh]

look.

this was made of the shelf parts...

it's easy to replicate...

just a laser and an optical cavity....

it's not even very big...

i suggest we reproduce it and test
ourselves....

lasers are cheaply available....

solid state diode lasers...

judt like the ones in dvd players.....

or laser pens....

got that...?

an optical cavity is just some mirrors...

SO LET UP REPLICATE THE EXPERIMENT AND THE THRUST PRODUCED...

BY USING 1000'S OF PARALLEL SOLID STATE DIODE LASERS WE COULD EASILY GET LARGE THRUSTS...

hey! I JUST REMEMBERED SOME OF THESE UFO'S SEEM TO GIVE OUT A LOT OF LIGHT....

A CONNECTION PERHAPS...

???

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
From what little I've read on the NASA website, some of their deep space probes use solar powered ion plasma engines. These engines gather solar radiation as the energy source and then convert this electric energy to power for the directed plasma emitting engine.

In this scenario, as with regular rocket propulsion, the force energy emanating from the engine pushes against the sparse content in the space surrounding the craft itself as opposed to some anchored object.

Before viewing the graphic illustration and later description of the laser propulsion system talked about here, I assumed the system was entirely onboard the craft, and emitted laser light out the rear for propulsion as opposed to ion plasma. When they described is as an external force being applied to the craft, I think the idea became a lot less credible, let alone practical.

I think they should start a space based speed competition similar to the land speed records held on the salt flats. I wonder if using some sort of solar sail of proper design we could reach some point where the highly energetic gamma spectrum begins interacting with the matter of the sail, providing a solar energy source well beyond the power afforded by the lower energy spectrum of visible and UV light.

Gamma radiation passes right through normal matter since the wavelength is shorter than the distance between the atoms but at some point, if you take the Doplar effect into consideration, wouldn't the (VERY highly energetic) gamma radiation (emanating from the sun for example) begin pushing on a solar sail?

Question: How much gamma radiation is out there, and how does it stack up energy-wise to the solar spectrum that interacts with "stationary" matter? And would the Doplar effect apply here?

I could easily get into asking more questions, but I don't want to confuse the discussion too much.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Great, now what we should do is all get togeather, put in a few hundred dollars each, till we have a few billion.

Have a probe of our own build & send it up so we can have images of mars send back, that havn't been airbrushed over..lol

Or better still, send a couple of our people out there before any of the governments can do it & take a few first hand snapshots.

Personally, I think the first landing on Mars should be a civillian one anyway.!!

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

And it may well be that some group, and not some government, does reach Mars first. I too would like this better. Space is for humans, and not for governments. It is our destiny.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join