It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do USAF pilots carry side arms?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Yes all pilots for the USAF do carry side arms when flying, along with a full survival kit including signaling mirrors, water purification tablets, emergency food, a survival knife, fishing hooks and fishing line, along with several other items.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
what type of gun is it. do they get the standard issue colt .45 or do they get something more powerful?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
what type of gun is it. do they get the standard issue colt .45 or do they get something more powerful?

The standard issue is a Berrate M9 (civilain Model 92, 9mm).

The government will give them nothing else - although another poster said they can carry other personal weapons if they choose.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
In the AF, at least since I've been flying, we carry 9MM pistols (M9) when in combat. Because of the safeguarding and whatnot, they aren't carried during peacetime, stateside flying.

There are no weapons in the survival kits, at least not in the C-130 kits. In the past, there was a .22 cal/shotgun combination that folded, but it isn't used any more.

We are not allowed to carry personal weapons, but during wartime, I have heard of it happening, like an F16 pilot carrying an Uzi.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Thanks Monsoon, you stole my thunder AND have it exactly right. The only exception is for cargo aircraft which, on occasion, carry M-16's for the enlisted crew members in addition to the M-9's....Unless, of course, they have a Raven Team aboard! Then they may have just about anything to include a grenade launcher and a SAW or two...

[edit on 15/10/04 by Sargon of Agade]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think that they are moving away from the M16 and going to an M4. Smaller and easier to handle.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by monsoon65
I think that they are moving away from the M16 and going to an M4. Smaller and easier to handle.

Yeah - tht would make a lot more sense with the folding stock and shorter barrel.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join