It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shang class attack sub (picture)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
www.janes.com...

2 in service with more being built - picture on the janes link.

so china are building modern nuke boats - and before i get all the `seawolf will eat it for breakfast` etc etc comments - think for a moment what building a nuke boat actually entales and the technology required for them - this is a large step forward for the PLAF

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It is, indeed, a huge step forward. That said, I think a Seawolf (or a 688i) probably would eat one for lunch. Not because I think "American is better by default", but simply because of crew training and proficiency. Operating any submarine effectively requires constant drill and practice. Taking full advantage of the tactical and operational edge that nuclear power brings takes even more..it requires the development of procedures and tactics, and I'd bet that the US, the Brits, and Russians probably still have top honors there. (In fact, I'd put my money on the Brits in just about every aspect except sonar crews).

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequinso china are building modern nuke boats - and before i get all the `seawolf will eat it for breakfast` etc etc comments - think for a moment what building a nuke boat actually entales and the technology required for them - this is a large step forward for the PLAF
Fair enough Harlequin, it is indeed a major step for any country to undertake nuke boat construction, hell just buying them from a manufacturing nation and operating them is an impressive feat in itself. However I tend to agree with Brother Stormhammer's assesment that a Seawolf or Virginia or even any of the advanced conventional boats like the Collins class will probably kill it easily. It's not just the crew traing as Stormhammer noted that will be their problem. Unless they can really lower machinery noise they wont survive. In particular is the age old nuke boat bug bear of noisy reactor coolant pumps. If the Chinese yards have been able to buy or steal enough technology from the Russians, or just plain steal it from the west then they may have a chance, if not then they are at least on a manufacturing learning curve. In addition there will be the question of yard quality. Its one thing to have the design, it's another to be able to build it. Lets hope they dont sub contract to the companies that make toys for Mattel.

LEE.

[edit on 11-9-2007 by thebozeian]

new topics

join