It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about god

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have an open question:

Why does a supposedly perfect, omnipotent, and omniscient being need to be worshipped by us lowly humans? Or why does he care (as per the 10 commandments) what we worship? How can god have an ego, and aren't anger and jealosy signs of imperfection and weakness? What gives?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
according to a theory by Jung (which is probably a metaphor of some kind) is that God needs our prayers to live. Basically the attention we give God is the energy that keeps him alive (in our own heads, that is).

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well, that's kind of my point:

If god is dependent upon us, what kind of god is he? Shouldn't god be independent of his creations? And what about before we existed? The universe was already billions of years old by the time we showed up...if god created everything, why does he need to be worshiped? It just doesn't make any sense to me!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
also, if other intelligent life out there believed in god.... would they pray to him/it/her?

So then... is god nothing more than a collaboration of alien prayer?

To the OP: Great question.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333
If god is dependent upon us, what kind of god is he? Shouldn't god be independent of his creations? And what about before we existed? The universe was already billions of years old by the time we showed up...if god created everything, why does he need to be worshiped? It just doesn't make any sense to me!

You bring up some good points.

It appears that you are in need to upgrade your conception of God in order for it to make more sense to you.

Here's one to chew on...

In recent times, it has been concluded by many scientists that the Universe is not infinite at all, just extremely large. This points to the God that created it to not be endless or infinite either - just rarefied in God Consciousness.

So we had a finite yet rarefied God who created a finite yet vast Universe.

Another tidbit for contemplation...

The need to be worshiped may not come from God or The Original Creator but from those in the Spirit who wish to be His/Her self-appointed representatives: from groups of angels (basically spiritual discarnates) and from groups of subangels (common spirits).

A true God or Gods would not need to be worshiped and would not need to be dependent on us at all

Finally...

If the Universe is finite and the God that created it was or is finite also, then He/She logically cannot be omnipotent or omniscient - as one cannot be endless and finite at the same time

Through deductive and inductive reasoning, one comes to the conclusion that the Judeo-Christian and Islamic god that is supposedly omnipotent and omniscient is not a true God at all, and that The First Coming has yet to occur.

Things that make you go hmmm.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

and pride... you forgot pride. god is jealous and PROUD of it....

you do bring up some good questions... just goes to show you the egocentrism of theistic belief.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm afraid that the most logical answer to those questions is that god does not exist.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSide

Well, I agree, but I was hoping for some believers to give their input as to why god needs to be worshipped. :bnghd:

The whole notion just doesn't make any sense to me, other than as a device created by men to control other men (i.e. do what we tell you or you will spend eternity in a pit of fire).

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
"They know not what they do"

One day, it will make sense to everyone.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
God doesnt just want to be worshipped, he wants us to love him and be his freinds in true communion.

The saints went to communion, to be filled with God and emptied of self, and filled with true humility.

The saints had God in them, so they are all full of God. Its hard to explain this, but he wants us not to worship like drones, but like chilren to a father.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

God doesnt just want to be worshipped, he wants us to love him and be his freinds in true communion.
Who told you this? Is this one of these stories that has been passed from mouth to ear, then pen to paper for thousands of years claiming to be the true word of some invisible deity? Or do you claim 'special' powers in that you can know the mind of said deity (how you know that it's the one you think your worshipping I don't know)

The saints had God in them, so they are all full of God. Its hard to explain this, but he wants us not to worship like drones, but like chilren to a father.

Peace.
So by threatening us with eternal damnation in the pit of hell is the best incentive that it could come up with. No thanks

G

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
screw god, and his prayers. if he wants them that bad, he would have pre-planned it anyways. and even if i'm wrong, im pretty sure i will be forgiven

new topics

top topics

join