It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery STOL transport at NASA AMES

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Ok guys and gals I was watching the TV show Mythbusters tonight and one of their projects took them to the NASA AMES centre at Moffett field in California. They were using one of the giant old airship hangars from the 1930's to conduct an experiment. In the background partway down the huge hangar, I briefly spotted a medium sized STOL type aircraft I didn't recognise. It appeared to be about the size of an An-72-74, and had a simmilar layout. It had a high wing, upper wing mounted engines a la the aformentioned An-72 or the prototype Boeing YC-14 of the 1970's. I assume that like these it was relying upon Upper Surface Blowing (USB) to gain its STOL capabillities, hence the upper wing engine layout. Now the tricky part here is that the aircraft appeared to have TWO engines per wing, NOT one. As far as I remember the US has not produced a high wing, high engine USB style STOL type transport with four engines.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? Sorry I dont have any pictures.

LEE.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thebozeian

NASA QSRA (Quiet Short-Haul Research Aircraft), a modified DHC-5:

www.dhc4and5.org...

Googling for 'QSRA NASA' will give you lots of references. Hope this helps!

Regards
yf

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Thanks yfxxx, it would appear you are 100% correct. I had completely forgotten about the NASA QSRA project well done

LEE.

new topics

join