It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. gray whale found shot with .50 cal machine gun

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Calif. gray whale found shot with .50 cal machine gun

news.yahoo.com

Sun Sep 9, 8:00 AM ET

NEAH BAY, Wash. - An injured California gray whale was swimming out to sea Saturday after being shot with a machine gun off the western tip of Washington state, officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is really bizarre. Some Native American tribesmen are being held but why in the world would they have a .50 caliber machine gun? This sounds or smells fishy.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/9/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
And what kind of freakin' humanoid arsehole would shoot a whale with one?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The article says "machine gun" with no evidence to backit up.

A .50 caliber round would be ideal for hunting whales as it would help to kill the animal quicker without destroying a lot of it. Or do you think that 30 harpoons sticking 2 feet into a 20 foot wide animal is more humane than one or 2 single bullets?

.50 caliber rifles are extremely popular for target enthusiasts as well as completely legal to own and use in all places except for Kalifornia. It gets a bad rap because certain politicians decide that the "big bad 50" needs to be banned.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I wonder if this is related to this story a few months ago:

Four Dolphins Shot in California, Feds Search for Killers

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I think I'd prefer if grey whales were neither harpooned nor shot at with rifles.

I'm not opposed to the private ownership of firearms; I am a gun owner.

Frigglehap

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
This is disgusting. The last thing we need is one of the most majestic creatures on our planet being slaughtered by ignorant #heads like whoever did this. Shame on them, though they're probably so dumb they don't even understand what they've done.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
The article says "machine gun" with no evidence to backit up.

A .50 caliber round would be ideal for hunting whales as it would help to kill the animal quicker without destroying a lot of it. Or do you think that 30 harpoons sticking 2 feet into a 20 foot wide animal is more humane than one or 2 single bullets?

.50 caliber rifles are extremely popular for target enthusiasts as well as completely legal to own and use in all places except for Kalifornia. It gets a bad rap because certain politicians decide that the "big bad 50" needs to be banned.

The police report noted .50 cal machine gun. I would guess when it comes to ballistics they would have a better idea than the average person. I doubt they came to that conclusion by a single wound. There was probably multiple wounds with a pattern consistent with that of automatic weapons fire.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I heard the feds are looking into a rash of deer killings. The strangest thing is that the deer have hooks in their mouths... someone was trying to fish them from a tree!!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
An Update:

Tribe did not OK whale shooting

"NEAH BAY, Wash. - The Makah Indian Tribe's whaling commission did not authorize the killing of a gray whale that died after being harpooned and shot several times in northwest Washington's Strait of Juan de Fuca, a member of the tribal panel said. "

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 10/9/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
The strangest thing is that the deer have hooks in their mouths... someone was trying to fish them from a tree!!

I think you might have just invented a new sport..

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Somehow I find it hard to believe that they used a Browning M2 .50 machine gun. A .50 hunting rifle like one of the modern Sharps, then I could see but somehow I think the media is making up facts or misinterpreted what the USCG and National Marine Fisheries Office Law Enforcement Division said.

The average person normally does not have access to .50 machine guns.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Somehow I find it hard to believe that they used a Browning M2 .50 machine gun. A .50 hunting rifle like one of the modern Sharps, then I could see but somehow I think the media is making up facts or misinterpreted what the USCG and National Marine Fisheries Office Law Enforcement Division said.

The average person normally does not have access to .50 machine guns.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by ChrisF231]

Thats what bothered me. It would be extremely illegal to possess something like an M2 Browning. If someone did have one where the heck did they get it?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
My only beef here is the "tribe" failed to kill the whale. Based on where they hit th whale, I would think a few 50's in the brain whould do it.

A 50 cal machine gun would be illegal, but a 50 cal rifle would be cool.

Unless the whale is dead and they dug out the bullitt's how would they know? Could have been a 12 gauge.................

Blubber burger...........mmmmmm...........good............

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
This is sick. Disgusts me, another reason why people shouldn't have guns. for those that dont think guns kill. please tell me, how would this kid have killed that whale without a gun. please don't tell me he's going to jump in the water and hit the whale with a stick? I mean come on. it's enough..machine guns or whatever other weapons should be BANNED!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
please tell me, how would this kid have killed that whale without a gun.

i would, but would you first indulge me and ask me how the gun would have killed that whale without a person pulling the trigger?

the gon gonna go into the water and pull it's own trigger?

thanks

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

please tell me, how would this kid have killed that whale without a gun.

i would, but would you first indulge me and ask me how the gun would have killed that whale without a person pulling the trigger?

the gon gonna go into the water and pull it's own trigger?

thanks

are you being serious? of coure the gun is not going to pull it's own trigger!! that's what I'm saying, a person with a gun is a bad combination. this kid would NOT have killed the whale if he didn't have that gun. the gun gives him power and that's what I'm against. people lived for millions of years and lived fine. please tell me why we need to have guns today?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

please tell me why we need to have guns today?

uhh... PROTECTION?

when you take guns away from law abiding citizens, the only people with guns are then the criminals. would that make you feel safer? knowing that only criminals have guns, and you have nothing for protection?

Maybe if they were to show up, you could convince them that positive thinking and pacifism is the true road to happiness

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Uh, no. You forgot the idiot factor.

1. Idiots with guns are bad ideas
  2. Idiots with children are bad ideas
  3. Idiots with cars are bad ideas

apc

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   

people lived for millions of years and lived fine. please tell me why we need to have guns today?

To kill anyone who tries to take them away.

And man has not lived for millions of years. Man has lived for a hundred thousand years. And in that time we have constantly been developing and improving upon a myriad of different ways to kill eachother.

What I want to know is why didn't they harvest the whale? It's very odd that they didn't, or at least it appears that they didn't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join