It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question about aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
f-22 , f-35,mig, euro fighter and so forth all next generation fighters
and how they are designed for the 21st centuray

whats so new about them apart from their electrical components
since they were designed a decade+ ago

so when a plane is designed and put into motion

for example

a plane is planned and then designed, 10 years+ production and testing
what are the chances that there will already be an effective counter measure or something simmiler for them when they are put fully into production.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
You can begin your search for information on aircraft generations and what constitutes each generation at the ATS reference guide: Fighter Generations: A Reference

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Aircraft generations seems to be an exclusive to jet fighter aircraft. I don't think I've ever seen generations in reference to bombers/transports/helicopters.

The very definition of the so called "Aircraft Generations" has changed over time, it didn't always mean what we thought it did. I honestly do not like categorizing fighters by generation, they are what they are and they do what they do.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Intelgurls postings onaircraft generations is a great start to understanding the debate also If i may add that my most resent thread dived into the tail end of your question of how do you make a plane (fighter) in these days and hoes it different then WW2. Check it out and feel free to ask questions.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Knowing several employee's of major defense contractors (i.e. BAE, Raytheon, etc) it is in my understanding that they (the defense contractors) are given small "jobs" which will contribute to the whole (completed aircraft). With this, as they develop a certain technological item (avionic, airframe, weapon, etc) they also develop along with it, a counter-advancement, and a counter to that advancement to stay at least 3 steps at all times ahead of the game.

One item in production now artifically moves the heat signature of the aircraft to some position away from the aircraft in flight (like a decoy to a heat seeking missle).

It's items like this that keep aircraft like the F-16 still running decades after it's original manufature.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I personally disagree with the typhoon not being a generation 5 fighter. It has all the components of a 5th generation fighter except a full blown stealth design. I do not think that stealth determines generation on its own.

new topics

top topics

join