It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will schizophrenic, bi polar people survive?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I honestly believe that most people that suffer from schizophrenia are for the most part extremely intelligent people that become overloaded by the burden of reality. They're hypersensitive to the World around them.

So-called "Normal" people on the otherhand, tend to filter out all the extraneous bits and pieces of information that don't make sense to them , and go about their merry way. Schizophrenics seem unable to do this.

I believe schizophrenics tend to see the World for what it really is, and it literally drives them over the proverbial edge. They realize what's happening around them, but at the same time feel helpless to do anything about it. i.e. corruption, senseless violence, war, religious deceptions, etc.

Bi-polars I believe tend to suffer primarily from a serious chemical imbalance that's organic in nature, and even with medical compliance tend to go off the deep edge periodically.

As for what to do without meds, I wouldn't concern myself overly much. You'll probably end of being messiantic pariahs, and for the most part be overlooked or avoided.

[edit on 1/20/08 by LLoyd45]

Good insights. Thanks.

I'm divided on medications for certain disorders, and not out of ignorance of chemical imbalances and the benefits some pharmaceuticals offer.

Medications often introduce new sets of problems. I have seen a lot of aberrant behaviour people become dependent on medications that create new syndromes that are as bad or worse than their original problems.

Having to confront problems and find ways to deal with them, like behaviour modification, might be a good thing for some people - if not all.

The last half of the 20th Century can be said to be the era of a new medical religion where the magic pill was the answer to everything.

Improved diet, increased activity, less artificial inputs, finding ways to deal with and solve one's problems is good therapy.

Mike F

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
They shouldn't have any problems surviving.
They will already be their own survival group

But they will always be out to get themselves.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
You would have to worry about those with serious medical issues, but for those who are on nti depressants and such, the lack of medication would be a good thing. The diagnosis of depression and other mental disorders is way overblown these days. The medical community cannot wait to give you that tag. get it and pay more all types of insurance, be eliminated from certian jobs, etc. Anyone who doesn't behave along the social norms of the majority is now considered a whackjob in need of medication. Especially kids.

Being sad and depressed is part of life. Just because it may happen to you on occasion it doesn't mean that you need drugs or are crazy. For instance: My work is investing in equities for people on a % of assets basis. The last year has been a disaster. Losing millions and millions for people is not great fun. As a result have been a pretty long term funk. Some would say depression. Most medical professionals would want me to take drugs to feel better. The thing is, that given the last years events, and armed with the knowledge that it is possible my belief in equities will end up just making things worse for all my clients, the truth is that I should be depressed. If I wasn't depressed then I would actually be crazy. Taking drugs to sway me away from reality is the wrong move because in the end you are never better until you can actually face reality.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schizoflux
Medications to schizo, bi polar people are as vital as food.

This is when the survival of the fittest comes in.

All of us with asthma, heart problems, glaucoma, cancers, and everything else will die off sooner then the healthy. The world goes back to survival of the fittest for the benefit of the species.

Sorry. Cold but true.

(I'm one of those that probably won't last long)

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'd like to actually offer a solution because I started doing this for my child.

About a year ago, every appointment I started asking for a week earlier than the three month mark, citing scheduling conflicts. This gives you a week extra supply.

If you can schedule ten days in advance, that is even better. Do this every visit, and by the end of one year, you have a month's extra supply of meds. If the doc asks you how many pills you have left, you are always "just about out."

Always get an earlier appointment.

Use two different pharmacies to fill the prescriptions because they will have two sets of records, but you have two possible locations where they know you, which might help in the future.

If you can do it for two years, you will then always have a three month supply of meds. This is enough of a supply to find additional meds or work out an alternative.

If your pharmacy has auto prescription refill, jump all over that because they will fill it on the day it is due, regardless of when you drag your butt in to pick it up. They mark time by fill date, not pick up date.

Also, ask your doc what you could do if you couldn't get meds. I was surprised that our physician was very forthcoming with information on this topic and I assume it is because a lot of people are asking. Be honest without looking like a nut, tell him you are worried in this economy about the availability of your meds and have been thinking about this.

We had a long talk about what to expect, what was dangerous and what wasn't. I was told what my child could take as an alternative that wouldn't require going completely off one and on to the other, and the doctor gave us a 30-day prescription for something else which we could use in a pinch -- with refills.

BTW, anti depressants aren't usually much of a problem, IF you wean yourself off them. Like taking half a capsule a day, then half a capsule every other day and so forth. You only get kind of dizzy and headachy. That's why having a 30-day backup supply is important. You can start weaning yourself off it.

Lithium, on the other hand, is something I wouldn't want to be without. I'd start asking about alternatives.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Those of us who may be Bi-Polar, Schizo-, or other Psycho-Affective may be labelled as 'disabled' by current society standards...but there is an advantage in that we are used to living with our own mania and chaos, so a mass-X situation that turns everone else's lives upside down...for us who live with such day-to-day it may just level the field

I never thought of it that way. My friend and the rest of you are already battle hardened. If supplies were to become scarce a person could maybe ween down their dosage a bit, stretch out their supply and still have a little backup.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I was originally prescribed a higher dose of a medication and basically had no other choice than to cut the dosage down to a more bearable level. The psychiatrist than said that at that limited dosage, the effect wouldn't be any more than a sleeping pill.

I've still stayed at that dosage and am now on a bipolar/anti seizure medication as well. The one thing that's brought me down from a manic state was not having people around me pulling my chain. Reducing stressors is great therapy. Living alone has given me a chance to deal with my own demons or those of the people around me.

I've thought about getting a dog, but even they expect attention and want to go out more than I would.

Many people in a crisis situation would probably fall apart, as many are supposedly undiagnosed bipolar anyway.

I'm not looking forward to the streets being filled with insane people searching for food.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I always wonder about this as well. I am dependent on opiate medication and have been taking it for the last three years. I still consider myself an addict, but not by choice, and legally at least. I have thought about ordering a three month supply of my medication - but if god forbid something happened and my medication was stolen - Oxycontin - very high theft rate in our area - I would be very, very screwed.

In a survival situation it would be very tough to go cold turkey off of my medicine and still be able to function enough to survive. I am not sure if I can get my medication early due to it being a Schedule 2 narcotic, so the idea of stocking up on extra medication may not be possible.

With the amount of people in the United States who are on some sort of medication daily, many with side effects from sudden cessation of use, there could be a very large problem in the event that we all cannot get our medication. Pharmacies will be targetted for theft, elderly for their medication that they may still have left, and a black market of opiates would thrive in such a situation. I would hope the government would allow people who legally own a Rx for opiates to grow their own poppies in such an event.

There are so many natural medications, but most of them are illegal, sadly. This is because the government was a monopoly on all the medications, and if others were able to treat themselves naturally, then they would lose money. Its sad that we are not even allowed to grow our own plants in order to treat our own ailements.

I can only pray for the well being of all the world. I hope that those who are disabled in wheelchairs, beds, paralyzed, and so on, are able to find someone to care for them. If everyone put aside their hatreds and worked together in this world, we wouldn't be in these situations. But sadly, that would never happen. The world thrives off war, greed, and power...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
For those of you with bi-polar, you need to research the medical journals out of Canada about how some tests were conducted that CURED (yes, you read that right) people of bi-polar using large doses of trace minerals. These were PUBLISHED findings in medical journals, for all you nay-sayers.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I take some meds and I have been stocking up. I have thought about this and I think alot of our problems are due to our current diet and stress level. I feel some people will heal when they aren't eating steriod/growth hormone/antibiotic filled foods that lack nutrients due to mass overuse of the soil. But I have been educating myself on how to wean off my medicines if need be. I am also focusing on becoming healthier. I have HBP, anxiety, a bad stomach and allergies. My biggest concern is my HBP medicine. But if I work on getting heathier now and if push comes to shove I have to wean myself off and will probably be eating less of the above *&*#) for food then I think my prognosis should be fair. Point is stock what you can, get as healthy as you can now and educate yourself on how to take yourself off your meds safely if you absolutly have to. If all else fails I plan on going to sleep (naturaly, nothing stupid)...
and RIP. What else can we do?
Is anyone else worried about cigarettes I smoke and realy dread not having access to my smokes? Just wondering???

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki

Originally posted by citizen smith

Those of us who may be Bi-Polar, Schizo-, or other Psycho-Affective may be labelled as 'disabled' by current society standards...but there is an advantage in that we are used to living with our own mania and chaos, so a mass-X situation that turns everone else's lives upside down...for us who live with such day-to-day it may just level the field

I never thought of it that way. My friend and the rest of you are already battle hardened. If supplies were to become scarce a person could maybe ween down their dosage a bit, stretch out their supply and still have a little backup.

At least the Bi Polar Schitzophrenics wont be lonely, they will have themselves to talk to, but they wont believe a word they are saying, according to my niece who was recently diagnosed.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Schizoflux
Medications to schizo, bi polar people are as vital as food.

This is when the survival of the fittest comes in.

All of us with asthma, heart problems, glaucoma, cancers, and everything else will die off sooner then the healthy. The world goes back to survival of the fittest for the benefit of the species.

Sorry. Cold but true.

(I'm one of those that probably won't last long)

No you make a very good point, people with disabilities will struggle especially people like diabetics, they are going to need to get moved into moderate sized agricultural communities and learn the old ways of extracting insulin from pigs and sheep. I genuinely sympathise with their predicament. BUT I have absolutely no sympathy at all for the types who turn up on survivalist forums saying they suffer from diabetes, glaucoma, arthritis, high blood pressure, etc etc because they are grossly overweight.( not those unfortunates who have HBP through stress or genetics or as an after effect of a previous illness) If these obese characters were serious about survivalism they would lose weight, PERIOD, No debate , they have to stop shovellling huge amounts of food into their mouths and get fitter. We had two in the UK a few years back, one guy wanted to set up a commune type retreat in the west country with himself basically being in charge ( "I'll be the administrator he said" ) I said WHY? and his reply was " Oh I am disabled so I could not do the physical work or guard duties in the retreat"

So I pushed a bit and asked what his problem was, he replied "I have a chronic chest problem and need a nebuliser and drugs to breath" Turns out he was three stone overweight and a serious 80 a day cigarette chain smoker . He just wanted people to pamper and care for him after TSHTF.

The second was simply obese, we met up with him at a survivalist gathering we had in Birmingham, he must have been 25 stone but was adamant that he was ready to be a survivalist so long as everyone helped him. I do think after SITX Asthmatics and diabetics and others like that can be helped, but the fat f******S with their self inflicted conditions will be liabilities we can not afford or trust.

One other point on a personal note is I wont let smokers into my retreat, not when there are children to look after.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

In my case it's genetics and age. As you get older, the negative things you inherit in genetics seem to come forth with vigor.

ALL of us in my family now have asthma. We are the only ones on both sides to have it. I think it's due to the Philly pollution. If that were to stop, our asthma would likely clear up. (My guess). But if Yellowstone blows - I'm sure it'll be worse - perhaps even deadly.

But the heart problems and glaucoma are genetic. I'd be weeded out of the gene pool rather quickly. Modern medicine is the only reason my genetic line has continued down to me. 'Survival of the fittest' says my family line should have been weeded out a long while back. And in an EOTWAWKI scenerio a lot of people with these type of genetic problems will be gone - making the species stronger.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

reply to post by Northern Raider

In my case it's genetics and age. As you get older, the negative things you inherit in genetics seem to come forth with vigor.

ALL of us in my family now have asthma. We are the only ones on both sides to have it. I think it's due to the Philly pollution. If that were to stop, our asthma would likely clear up. (My guess). But if Yellowstone blows - I'm sure it'll be worse - perhaps even deadly.

But the heart problems and glaucoma are genetic. I'd be weeded out of the gene pool rather quickly. Modern medicine is the only reason my genetic line has continued down to me. 'Survival of the fittest' says my family line should have been weeded out a long while back. And in an EOTWAWKI scenerio a lot of people with these type of genetic problems will be gone - making the species stronger.

Yup but you display a postive mental attitude and a strong desire to survive and flourish, survival of the fittest applies also to the mind as well as the body. Yes much asthma related illness will reduce if the pollution was reduced, so you have something to strive for. But at least your looking to help yourself as best you can even though mother nature dealt you a cruel hand. I am 52 and have been a survivalist since 1979 and as time and old age have harried me I like you have had to adapt, Stopped smoking, stop heavy boozing like I did in the army, lost weight etc. However I am guessing you are not of the category who are morbidly obese and expecting everyone else to bail you out. None of us are perfect but also few serious survivalists will let their medical conditions get worse because they grossly over eat, or chain smoke.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
am guessing you are not of the category who are morbidly obese and expecting everyone else to bail you out.

No. I'm getting a bit heavier because of the osteoperosis and shin splints (and bursitis in the shoulder) make it very hard to work out. The weight (not obese) is coming on because I can't move like i used to. It's definately not the other way around though.

But it's okay. I'm doing what I can.
And if it's not enough .. then it wasn't ment to be.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
yep definitely survival of the fittest. I just wonder what will happen to the women and children as they will be far inferior and most won't be able to handle the situation thats at hand. If shtf they will definitely be targeted and we definitely need to protect them.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Foods that harm/foods that heal

Is an excellent starting point to build knowledge on nutrition and food that can help with certain conditions, makes for good reading

Natural Remedies Encyclopedia

Is also good reading if you afford the time.

Being asthmatic and diabetic, I've been pondering this stuff recently, because if the SHTF then theres no way I'm going to be able to get my hands on either the meds or the right advice. In that case I'd have to rely on lavenders to aid my breathing, conserve my energy as best as I can and eat a largely vegetarian diet supplemented with any meat I can get hold of.

If you're of a mind to, look up Homeopathic remedies as well - while many people think its "all in the head" alot of the basis of the research is sound and knowing and being able to identify certain plants with certain properties in the wild might actually be a lifesaver.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
am guessing you are not of the category who are morbidly obese and expecting everyone else to bail you out.

No. I'm getting a bit heavier because of the osteoperosis and shin splints (and bursitis in the shoulder) make it very hard to work out. The weight (not obese) is coming on because I can't move like i used to. It's definately not the other way around though.

But it's okay. I'm doing what I can.
And if it's not enough .. then it wasn't ment to be.

Hah Your PMA will most likely get you through, you have the attitude to get through this coming nightmare, I salute you.
NR

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
yep definitely survival of the fittest. I just wonder what will happen to the women and children as they will be far inferior and most won't be able to handle the situation thats at hand. If shtf they will definitely be targeted and we definitely need to protect them.

Dont bet on that logic, I learned years ago that women in dangerous and life threatening situations are often stronger, more resiliant and capable of surviving than the guys are. Female soldiers I served with from various nations were definately the equal of the guys in everything cept heavy lifting. As as learned from WW2 and other horrible events children can be very resilient as well. In a major SITX the girls and kids are going to have to cooperate closely with the lads, but if they join family groups or mutual support groups they will get by.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

WOW you are green aint ya. Hell hath no fury to a woman whose child is hungry you fool. Women will kick a%s and do just fine. I personaly can build a fire, ring a chickens neck, kill a deer, spear fish and wouldn't blink if I had to cut your throat while looking you in the eye to save my child. And I can do this in highheels and a thong so do not underestimate a womans ability to survive.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join