It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will schizophrenic, bi polar people survive?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Medications to schizo, bi polar people are as vital as food. Where would we go, or how would one prepare a stockpile? You can't stock any needed meds because the only way you can get it is over the counter through a doctors prescription. 1 month supply maximum, usually. Is there any way I could stockpile 1 year supply of lithium carbonate or anti-psyhotic? Depending how long the disaster endures, after 3-4 days no medication a mentally ill person starts receiving delusions, hallucinations, and psychotic episodes. There's no telling what he or she will end up doing, it is very possible for them to end up doing something life threatening. I don't think a mentally ill person would survive long.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
In most survival situations, I think a month's supply should be enough. Any time that things are so serious that you can't go see a doctor for 30 days straight will likely last a lot longer, you are inevitably going to run out of medication anyway. I know for a lot of problems it isn't an option, but I would recommend that anyone who can slowly eases them off of any substance they need to keep them alive besides food and water.

Like you said, if the medication you need is prescription only and you have to go back to the doctor every month, there aren't many legal ways of you getting more than the current amount. Even if you could, then you have to start worrying about expiry dates. Then you have to think about where you are going to keep it. If you work an average 40 hour work week, then 23% of all your time you will be at work and unable to get to your medication if you quickly need to get to it. Depending on the situation you may not be able to drive all the way home and get to it. Will you carry all of your stash on you at all times? Half with you and half at home? All at home? There is a lot to think about.

If something serious enough happens, humans will be subject to natural selection again. There are people currently alive who would not be alive if it wasn't for modern society... TONS of them. This includes basically anyone with any form of serious handicap or disease. Anyone with a disease like diabetes, anyone mentally handicapped, or anyone physically handicapped will be in very bad shape if a disaster hits. Think about the proportion of our society that are only being kept here by drugs, oxygen tanks, wheelchair ramps, etc. Even people with glasses, which has become quite a large portion of our society.... if my glasses break, my vision is poor enough that I am essentially screwed from a survival perspective.

So basically you're on a position where either a month of medication is going to be sufficient, or you're screwed in the long run anyway.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Speaking as someone who deals with schizoaffective disorder (a mild version of schizophrenia) and bipolar - I'd have to say that depending on the survival situation at hand I might actually do alright.

The majority of problems I face deal not so much with where my mind goes, but rather - public reaction to what I end up doing within the common stage.

I think in the right situation - i.e. wilderness survival or post-apocolyptic shennanigans - I'd be at an advantage in some ways, but then again, that's just where my natural inclinations and delusions take me anyway.

As far as medications, I find that if I am far from the general populace and surrounded by nature almost constantly, my episodic breaks and depression/mania almost cease to be a factor entirely.

*two cents*

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
all of my meds are sent in 90 day RXs... so i have more than a month to plan.

but sure, people on meds. or physically challenged...will be on the ropes

but, weren't they really 'victims' already?
we/us/they, are prey to all sorts of predators...which could be Insurance
companies denying services or refusing payment, or mail-box thieves
stealing someones Social Security check... or getting strong-armed on a not-so-busy street (mugged)

One should not be so out of the loop,
that a 30 day RX expiration would result in a complete-universal-catastrophe of one's life management.

adapt or die ...... that sound appropriate, to me

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
ive heard if something like a natural disaster happens or any large scale disaster (anything bigger than large scale happens..meds wont matter), that FEMA already has camps set up around america. there will be panic and people will not know where to go.....if you want your meds...and food or a warm place to stay and safety you will most likely have to turn all your weapons..if you have any..and maybe forced into taking some sorta id chip. constitution suspended. marshall law. i believe our government has plans for this in case something does happen. most people will gladly accept the mark of the beast in a situation like this. my advice is that if you are dependent on any meds you need to figure out what you would do in that situation.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by Funkydung]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Damn good point S.F.

As a fellow Rx-Dependant I try to make sure that I have at least 6 months worth of meds as a backup supply. One of the first places that will get raided by looters or restricted by authorities will be pharmacies, so it may be a smart move to have an A-Z mapbook covering your area with a dozen or more such locations marked down so you can have a chance to at least obtain extra supplies

Those of us who may be Bi-Polar, Schizo-, or other Psycho-Affective may be labelled as 'disabled' by current society standards...but there is an advantage in that we are used to living with our own mania and chaos, so a mass-X situation that turns everone else's lives upside down...for us who live with such day-to-day it may just level the field

Peace love and light to those in the same boat

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
These medications are not necessary for survival in such a way was insulin or anti-rejection drugs for transplants would be. Someone who needs these drugs that badly to exist would likely not survive long during Sit. X anyway, drugs or not.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Perfectly "normal" non- drug takers, and stable people will not be able to cope at all, never mind the mentally unstable or the disabled.

Its kind of a non issue to worry about who needs what in the event of a nuclear attack or worse.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Schizoflux

dgtempe is right stable people won't be able to cope, if something horrible happens.

If you had medications left 'if' a disaster did happen you could start halfing your pills.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
1. It's highly unlikely that such a major catostrophe where you will not have legit access to meds will ever take place.

2. If one does, you can always loot a pharmacy somewhere or buy on the black market.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Survival has a way of focusing the mind.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm going for the vicodan first to hell with reality.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Let's be honest, noone expects EVERYONE to survive in a time where survival methods are needed.
The weak will die off, the strong will survive.
It's always been this way.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelMyers
The weak will die off, the strong will survive.

I'd honestly include myself in that statement...sucks to be sure, but I'm a realist

My intention would be to do my utmost to secure the 'competitive advantage' for my tribe whilst I was able to and my med supply held out...then it's a slow downhill for me unfortunately after they run out

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Sorry to say, but im in the same boat as the weak will die off, the strong will survive. This is how nature continues its existance so the species itself does not become extinct. I would hope for the best to all of those who have such conditions, but in the event of a global catastrophe where medication is nil, and there is no way possible to ration medication to last the remainder of the event, nature will prevail. It always does... eventually.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If chaos comes and goes and you've survived there's a chance you might do quite well. After all you'll be eating clean food, breathing clear air, and there won't be electro-pollution running through your brain from all directions 24/7. That's when you might find that most of the symptoms you're left with are the "coming off the meds" ones.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I know there is a period of time needed for the Lithium (which is only really a natuarally occuring salt) to completely exit your system. There's an idea!- I wonder if it is feasible to manufacture Lithium under "primitive" conditions, regulate dosage, etc.
Back to my point... I have always been of the opinion of who judges what is "sane" and "insane". It seems to me that the powers that be have set the guidelines for this. Don't worry, I take my meds too, but I have no worries that I'll be fine if indeed there is a major calamity, and I am unable to take them. I just won't need half the sleep as the "sane" folks, and won't have to think too long to make a decisive action. Actually, doesn't that kind of sound like an advantage, considering the hypothetical situation?

The world hands you lemons, you make lemonade.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I'm going for the vicodan first to hell with reality.

hahaha yeah i hear ya. you grab the vicodan and ill get the liquid hydro and oc. hahaha lucky for me i weaned myself off of paxil a few years ago. the best decision i ever made. coming off of it was pure hell. came close to suicide but i got thru it. now its all good with a hydro or two every now and then.

[edit on 11-9-2007 by Funkydung]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
Survival has a way of focusing the mind.

that is my way of thinking to. I take Meds to control anxicity and PTSD. Come hunting season I no longer need it. or back in the day when I was going on missions with my dog I never needed them then either. Adrenalin and focused thinking can do wonders.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Whatever happens to survival of the fittest or the normalest? (sp lol)

This comes to mind, whatever happens to those people who were housed in the mental asylums? I never see an asylum anymore, just therapist offices...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join