It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New bacteria?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Stumbled across this site National Geographic

And while I did not find it to be strange they have bacteria, this part of the text did

" The team spotted nearly a hundred different kinds of bacteria in the clean rooms, and about half of them were new to science. Some of the bacteria were common culprits, such as the Staphylococcus, bugs that thrive on human skin. "

Bacteria that is new to science? to me this sounds interesting and I hope someone in these magnificient forums could help me figure out what kind of bacteria this could be.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
We don't need NASA clean room for unknown type of bacteria - there are unknown bacteria on our skin - any many of them, that live in our guts, stomach are still unknown. And the number of bacterial cells outnumber human cells 10 to 1.

They thrive everywhere...It is 'Goldilocks' zone all over universe for bacteria and life!

human skin harbors completely unknown bacteria

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the link
The first thing that popped into my mind reading it was "Alien bacteria" since it's NASA and all. But I guess there is a whole lot of "Alien" bacteria out there already.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
We haven't classified all of the macrofauna on the planet yet. There will no doubt be thousands, perhaps millions, of types of microfauna we haven't classified.

And at the rate bacteria exchange genes and mutate, they probably never will catch up.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I see that now MajorMalfunction. The thought that there are space bacteria brought here sure is titillating though. We will never know if some of them are malicious, until it's to late i guess.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Genetic and statistical analyses revealed that these unknown organisms must make up 99.9% of all the microbes in the soil. One gram of soil--the weight of a little packet of low-calorie sweetener--can contain as many as 10,000 species unknown to science, says Handelsman, a professor of plant pathology at the University of Wisconsin.

Now, for the first time, she and her colleagues, along with several other research groups working independently, are learning to extract the DNA of these mysterious creatures and clone it. They are finding that the microbes differ so profoundly from known bacteria that they could represent entirely new kingdoms of life--as different from other bacteria as animals are from plants. That means that the proteins produced by these creatures could have properties unlike any other such substances known.

source

Also, just a fraction of microorganisms can be cultivated in lab, somewhere 0.001- 0.1 %- but new techniques are enabling microbiologist a survey in their natural environment.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I read a number of years ago that some scientists believe we are introduced to new microorganisms through our travels about the universe. Spaceborn in nature that make there way to earth in dust.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Vordul Megallah

I suspect plenty of extra-terrestrial bacterial forms have found their way to Earth via comet dust trails, meteor impacts etc.

The strangest thing on earth to me is the crystalline quality of viruses, and it always reminds me of the Crystalline Entity that was on Star Trek: The Next Generation. This leads to thoughts of Rife and the Rife machine.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Can't help but wonder if any of these space bacteria is the cause of any of the modern day medical problems we have. I mean who knows? Im probably making something outta nothing right now but it's intriguing to think about.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vordul Megallah

There is a thread somewhere here that had a link to an interesting article regarding this. Apparently the theory goes that the waves of influenza sweeping the globe from time to time are the result of our planet ploughing through a cloud of contaminants or something like that. Maybe it was a dust cloud from a comet. Anyway, the theory cites the regularity and cyclic nature of these incidents as the main evidence, as in the pandemic occurs every so-and-so years.

Quite plausible when you think about it.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The new and mutating forms of bacteria were probably caused by their 'outside' cousins. I'm sure they find their way to earth every day, strenghtening and mutating bacteria. Viruses too!

new topics

top topics

join