It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian CIWS - i want one!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Well alot has been said about RAM and how great it is - but , im sorry the russians have been doing better for years :

www.bharat-rakshak.com...

combined gun and missile systems

en.wikipedia.org...

and the export system the PALMA - , it has to be said - why not combine gun and missile in 1 package - would work best

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Looks impressive, and the performance certainly looks eye-popping.

To answer "Why not combine gun and missile in one package?", I can think of a couple of possible reasons. I can ask some friends for better info, and I might actually get an answer...if I do, I'll pass it along, but here's my take on the question.

1) It adds mass to the mounting. That's not good in a system that has to have a very high rate of train / elevation...momentum will be working against your tracking on a close range target. Increased weight might have adverse impacts on stability in smaller vessels, as well (not an issue on carriers / cruisers!).

2) Complexity. There's a LOT going on in there, and it's all going on in a very small space. Lots of electronics + lots of moving parts + exposure to shock (from cannon fire) = bad mojo. There's also the old rule of thumb..."the odds of a mechanical malfunction increase geometrically with the number of moving parts."

Also, if I'm reading the article right, the system has four 'ready' missiles, 24 'standby' missiles, and a 1.5 minute reload cycle for the missiles. Sounds like the weapon might have a problem with saturation, if the inbound weapons were spaced out correctly....draw out the four ready load missiles with a lead wave, and your next wave or three is facing a gun-based CIWS. I'm a bit surprised that the on-mount sensors don't take care of IFF interrogation...seems like this system might also be vulnerable to a single-point failure in the command module.

That said, I can also see the appeal of such a system...it lets you get more defensive capability from a certain amount of deck space (almost always at a premium).

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
well any system has a finite amount of ordnanace anyway - RAM doesn`t have an endless supply of missiles - and once its spent - then theres nothing else! yes the system is larger than RAM/phalanx - but it might say something about the russians and caring for there crews

complexity - it shouldn`t be more complex than any other ciws - radar + computer for selecting which system (missile at more than 1km , guns less than 1km)

looking at the PALMA - and reading on the kashtan - the amount of `modules` per system can be expanded the palma has 8 missiles and 2 guns

new topics

join