It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: John Kerry Wins Iowa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Senator John Kerry has won the first round in the Democrat battle to challenge for the US presidency.

He beat long time favourite Howard Dean into third place in the Iowa caucuses and even before the final results were announced Mr Dean conceded Mr Kerry would take victory in the first round of the Democratic fight to challenge President George Bush.

Vietnam veteran Mr Kerry, 60, beat Senator John Edwards into second place in the Iowa vote, with early favourite Howard Dean well behind in third place.

Congressman Dick Gephardt came fourth and has dropped out of the campaign, it is not yet known if he will endore someone else or stay silent.

"Thank you Iowa for making me the Comeback Kerry," Mr Kerry told jubilant supporters in the Iowan state capital Des Moines.

Iowa is traditionally the first to make its choice for presidential nominee.

Two other strong contenders, Senator Joe Lieberman and retired general Wesley Clarke, will join the contest next week when Democrats in the state of New Hampshire holds their election.

Despite icy conditions, more than 100,000 Democracts turned out for the Iowa caucus gatherings in nearly 2,000 locations across the state.

The caucuses are an unusual process, our correspondent says. First, the meeting discusses the candidates' merits. Then those attending break up into groups, depending on which candidate they support.

Sources: SkyNews, BBCNews

[Edited on 20-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hooray For our Brethren. "send in the Orc army!"

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
My money is on Edwards.I think Bush will struggle against him.He has something of Kennedy about him.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
My money is on Edwards.I think Bush will struggle against him.He has something of Kennedy about him.

Indeedy, i always preferred Edwards, he's a self-made man whose charming and likeable, he also has two feet firmly on the ground unlike others who have one foot in the grave.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Dean blames his poor showing on, get this, all the bashing that the others did against him, despite the obvious.
Remind him that Jimmy C. did not invite him to the 'house'......Dean seems to think to the contrary....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Originally posted by John bull 1

Indeedy, i always preferred Edwards, he's a self-made man whose charming and likeable, he also has two feet firmly on the ground unlike others who have one foot in the grave.

You guys preach. I'll be the choir.

Load this interactive delegate map from Edwards website sometime. It loads with 2000 results, but allows you to trend elections since 1980, and be your own strategist 2004. Add a southern state here or there and *poof* President Edwards: www.johnedwards2004.com...

Of course there's also a link there where you can really put your money on Edwards!

THE winning democrat that won't raise middle class taxes OR give millionaire handouts.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
This is how i see 2004...

now thats creative use of a map tool

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
At least some democrats could see Dean for what an idiot he is!!

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
This is how i see 2004...

now thats creative use of a map tool

Nerdling neeeds to clean his glasses

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
um forienger here, and i have to know, what is so important in iowa?? just beacause one guy wins iowa dosnt mean the rest of the country likes him. i dont comprehend.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well I really dont think that any of the Democrats have half a chance at winning.. But having said that, the only canidate that could possibly make any sense to vote for would be Edwards because he actually believes what he says. he is not running as a Bush Lite canadiate. He is much more believable as a president than any of the others dems running. I would say if you want a democrat to win you better put your votes behind Mr. Edwards. Even though I hope they all lose!!! LOL

Now don't get mad LOL

top topics

join