It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Plagiarism? Video podcast idea.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
OK, I've got the core of an idea and I think that this concept displays one of the best viewpoints towards understanding the phenomena that I'd like to describe.

If I were to do a video podcast and use some charts and maps and websites as part of this, displaying those items with full attribution and sources (say footnote crawled at the end), would my podcast be plagiarism?

After all, say, I didn't build the various sites to which I might refer, nor did I draw some of the charts, but they'd be clearly cited "Dr So-and-So of www.sciencenerd.com says...'yada-yada'.

I just use them as reference materials, point to them and then use the materials during the 'lecture'.

Obviously I can't re-broadcast a TV show within my podcast, but snippets would be ok under fair use, right?

Again, the concept isn't exactly new, but I feel that my emphasis and point of view would be interesting and revealing. My understanding is if you create 'new content' that it is not plagiarism, even though your sources might not be your own, especially if you use visual static charts and diagrams in a video format. Hope this is clear.

ATS mgmt?

If I can get a ruling on this, I'll either desist or continue.

TIA

[edit on 9-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm no expert, but I think as long as you list your sources of your material you should be ok.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

Well, someone might say that I didn't do the original work, or that my podcast is derivative, or that I need to get rights from the website owners to show their content using a video cam or screen capture.

I know that some podcasts which use a background song have to get pemission from the band or group to use their song. Of course on youtube it's done all the time. However I do hear of indie films who end up not using an image or a song because they couldn't get the 'rights'.

Of course I'm not SELLING this material, I'd just upload it to my podcast space for ATS members to use.

However if it's GOOD, it might get out into cyberspace. Would that end up being a problem, even with full and complete attribution?

See what I'm saying?

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Of course I'm not SELLING this material, I'd just upload it to my podcast space for ATS members to use.

However if it's GOOD, it might get out into cyberspace. Would that end up being a problem, even with full and complete attribution?

See what I'm saying?

I see where your coming from, and if anything, it would be ATS's problem because they are the ones hosting the podcast.
But as long as your not selling it, and you list your sources you should be fine. I'm kind of curious about this myself, any mods/admins/amigos know about this?

This is all I could find under the rules on the podcast page...

Inappropriate content in your podcast (illegal information, discussion of illegal drugs, copyrighted material without permission, attacking members, etc.) will result in immediate termination of your member account without warning.

If your podcast features entire music selections, you must either have the rights to distribute the music, or it must be designated podsafe music with appropriate credit added to your podcast thread (created when your podcast is uploaded).

(emphasis mine)

Hope it helps a little.

new topics

top topics

join