It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technical problems. [solved]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Hi, I'm having some technical problems with listening to the ats-mix.

I am using Firefox on Linux, so I guess I am in a minority here, but I will explain the problem.

When I first tried to use ats-mix, I got a message about not having a correct plugin to deal with the player. So I installed the vlc plugin. Unfortunately this plugin wouldn't allow me to rewind or pause or anything useful like that, and also caused a few crashes. So I next changed to the mplayer plugin. This gave me some buttons like pause, and I think had the potential to rewind too, but it only plays audio while the ats-mix window is on top, which means I can't do anything else while it plays.

My suggestion would be to also provide a proper direct URL link to the mp3 file, so that people can download the file and listen to it in their own player. I don't see a reason for not doing this really, as anyone with a little technical know-how can find the real URL if they want to. I have done this a couple of times now to get the mp3 file, but am a little unsure about doing this, I'm not sure if this may be technically "against the rules". Also, with this solution it is fine for those of us who know how to do this, but newbies or non technical users may not know how to do this.

So my two questions are this.

1) Can you provide a direct link to the mp3 files for people who have trouble with the player?
2) Is it acceptable for people to bypass the player and just download the mp3?

Thank you.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by bobafett]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett

1) Can you provide a direct link to the mp3 files for people who have trouble with the player?

There is a direct link to the mp3 file in all of the 'Ats Mix shows' threads. If you right click on near the bottom of the opening post, where it says File: atsmix_????.mp3 you should be able to save it to your hard drive.

Here is where on the page I am talking about.

[edit on 9/9/2007 by pstiffy]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Wow, thanks a lot for pointing that out, I'd only tried to listen using the player, I didn't realise the mp3 links were in the discussion topics.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bobafett

Glad I could help. It took me a long while to realize I could download them too when I first started listening to member podcasts.

[edit on 9/9/2007 by pstiffy]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bobafett

I'm glad you brought this up. I too am a Linux user, and need to know these things.

Sadly, I am not the real tech type, so I just try to learn from any source that mentions such things.

Penguin Power to the People!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
There are many audio players available for Linux, but the one most commonly packaged into popular distributions is MPlayer/Totem.

There is a FireFox Plug-In for MPlayer that you can freely download. It will make it so that content normally handled by your media player (MPlayer) will play from within FireFox.

BTW: Ubuntu + Beryl + VMware is the way to go!!

[edit on 9/10/2007 by damajikninja]

top topics

join