It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Schools Vs Private Schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Im sure this happens in many countries but is anyone else pissed of at how in Australia the Commonwealth Govt pumps so much money into private schools and leaves the public school system in ruins. Why does John Howard see fit that poxy private schools receive way more funding than a Public School when they do not really need it. Why should our Govt help some schools build new swimming pools while letting others struggle for simple items like textbooks and sporting equipment. This along with things like university entrance scores being considerably lower if you are a full fee paying student instead of HECS.

It really annoys me that Education has become a privilege for the rich. Our Govt should get its act together and stop letting our Public School system go the drain.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Please explain. Is this like the UK where you say public, but mean private? (Didn't it used to be like that?)

In the US, public schools are run by the State govt, and get some federal funding but not much.

And private schools get nothing. You pay dearly to go.

I went to private grade school and public high school. And think that's definitely the way to do it. Learn to learn early, then learn to socialize in the real world.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yeah Public Schools are run by the States and Federal Govt and receive basically all there funding this way.

Private schools in Australia generate there funding from the fee paying students, the states and the federal govt.

At the moment the Federal Govt gives considerably more money to the private schools than the public schools.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by boosai

At the moment the Federal Govt gives considerably more money to the private schools than the public schools.

I think the UK is like that too (please correct me someone). And some conservatives in the US want to make it that way here. Though for the life of me, I don't understand it at all.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
For some reason our Govt seems hell bent on destroying the public system so that everyone goes to private schools but obviously there are a lot of people who cant afford to send there children to a private education

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Sounds like PRIVATAZATION run amok.

Hospitals turn a profit, why not schools?

The trend is sickening. (literally) Bush will harp on it in his state of the union tomorrow wanting to privatize social security... "just in baby steps".

Next McDonalds will sponsor the Military.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I go to a private school called Evansville Day School. It is true that the state does not fund our school, so we have to rely on tuition and annual giving; both add up to a lot. The education we receive at Day School is some of the best in the midwest, and the best in Evansville, which is a small city of about 125,000 people. The teachers make a considerable amount less money than public school teachers in town, but they are dedicated.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
In Florida we have the FCAT , the results of these tests determine the amount of federal funds available for Each school.
After the first year, many schools recieved "failing " scores which Cut there funding , which in turn lead to some "cheating" by some schools , cramming students for the upcoming test , so they could maintain a certain level of funds, basically enough to provide an education.
At the same time the School Voucher program became available which partially "funds" Private school tuition.
There are several other normally government programs that have been privitized since Jeb has been Gov. of Fla. One most noted our HRS system , now the DCF(child welfare) ..remmember Ryilya Wilson, child "lost" in the system..during the investigation it was revieled that there were many more "lost children" in the system..
Florida is currently being used as a guinea pig for Dub's grand vision of privatization , it's so evident yet I've never seen or heard anyone say a thing about it in the Media .

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The philosophy in countries like Oz is increasingly to bulk fund per capita of enrolment in all schools (same $ per kid) and if parents want to top up what the state provides for their own child by paying exhorbitant fees to place them in the private school system then they are free to do so.

I like the school I went to. We had a reunion the other day. The school used to be a better performer academically and sports wise than almost every single private school before it became the drug capital of the area it's in. It will come back.

Parents and teachers put schools into ruins, not governments.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
i went to a public school, all we had to pay was basically

$110 a year for text books, they also gave us a pack with exercise books pens pencils etc etc,

the only other thing we had to pay for was excersions.

unless we did photography manual arts (woodshop/metalshop) or similar then we had to pay for materials etc.

i liked it, they were strict with uniforms and truency etc. but over all it wasnt bad, there wasnt that much "bad" stuff(gangs bullies,drugs etc etc) going on either.

unlike private schools a lot of which while having a reputation for high ackedemic standards and sporting standards (which we were also good at, we had many many good ackedemic students and just as many regional/state champion sportsmen/women)

but some of the private schools (which remain nameless) have big problems with drugs/theft/gangs etc mainly due to spoilt rich kids with no loving family support.

our school had over 40 different nationalities and cultures.

almost all (well 80% - 90%) had a great family life with no pressures etc. whereas a lot of the private school people i know have bad home lives and are in gangs and do drugs.

private schools are good if you go to the right ones (and pay the right price) but my kids are going to public schools.

on the point of public schools needing more funding.

i TOTALY AGREE. the text books we had were ten years old. the classrooms were ok but not good enough, the desks/chairs were good but not good enough.

our sports fields were EXCELLENT though. mind you that is a credit to the single grounds keeper.

my old school (i say that cus im now out of school for a year and a bit) had programs in placefor students who didnt have the best ackedemic abilites, these were Job placement (work 1 day a week instead of school, no pay, but you get a tafe certificate at the end) and traineeships (i did a retail one (even though i got decent scores at school) it was awesome, i actually went to college at the RAQ)

they also had things for young people who have had kids where they could bring their children with them and look after them while learning (not in normal classes though they had their own rooms)

but our school was/is/and will continue to be one of the better brisbane public schools.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
wasn't education always made for the rich??

not trying to be a dick, but i remember when nostradamous went to school, i think it was a privelage back then??

as for gov being unfair , your right it is. but what are u going to do? fair question.

not trying to be a dick there either just in case anyone takes it the wrong way!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think to an extent that education is a priveledge. Too many kids are unruly and have no intrest in education and we are wasting tax dollars to pay teachers to babysit them. I think that High School should be split between those who actually want an education and offer the option to drop out or go to vocational school. I was lucky enough to get a private school education, I rebeled and went to public school...I lasted a quarter and ran back to private school. I was the only one in any of my classes that actually wanted to learn, it was pathetic. What a waste of space.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think mamaship, how the Canberra Public system is set up is pretty good in terms of not having people who were a waste of space because they just didnt want to be in that class.

Basically you go to primary and high school as per usual but your last two years 11 & 12 you go to a complety different school. This tends to seperate people who want to continue study and aim for university etc and people who want to go into some kind of trade for instance who would do more vocational/work placement courses. Hope that kinda makes sense, but generally I found the people in my clasess back during the my last two years of school generally wanted to be learning.

I know this systems differs from the rest of Oz

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Truelies of course education back 100's of years ago was a privelege. So was owning a slave but it doesnt mean it should be like that today.

What am I going to do about it... its not as if im a one man band here. In Australia you cant open a paper without something in there about this perticular topic. It will be interesting to see what Labors poilicies will be after there conference due soon.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
boosai,

what i'm saying it school goes back hundreds of years and started as a "privelage" of course we're in different times (duh) but I still believe it's a privelage.

Not every country has school for their children, unless you have money. No all countries have public schools.

Public school have gotten out of hand, and it's because these kids don't understand that education is of vital importance for the future. Nobody is reinforcing that into their heads. Their watching mtv, and thinking they can become rappers or strippers, or whatever else.
I was being saracastic there if you didn't catch it.

These kids are conditioned, and not for the better.
All you can do now is let them decide on their since they know everything, and learn the hardway.

The school's are out of control, and nobody is even putting the smack down on them.

Let it be their choice, and suffer the concequences, maybe after their done being omniscent "bada**es" they can go back and put their nose to the grindstone.

Zee

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Text

I know how private schools are; I attended one from kingergarten on thru 12th grade, and now attend a public university. Private schools are responsible for much of the disappearing young religious folk in the United States - I count myself among those people.

Private schools are determined to emphasize academics and religion and athletics over individuality and free-thought; these goals are responsible for my inability to have a great deal of social interaction, and the reason that I am no longer religious.

I would never send my own children to a private school; I am grateful for the opportunity to attend one, but 13 years taught me a thing or two - if you speak your mind at a Catholic private school, you will disappear.

I know - I saw it happen to several of my friends and teachers. If you do not conform, you just go away. It's like a bad episode of "The Twilight Zone"

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zee
Text

I know how private schools are; I attended one from kingergarten on thru 12th grade, and now attend a public university. Private schools are responsible for much of the disappearing young religious folk in the United States - I count myself among those people.

Private schools are determined to emphasize academics and religion and athletics over individuality and free-thought; these goals are responsible for my inability to have a great deal of social interaction, and the reason that I am no longer religious.

I would never send my own children to a private school; I am grateful for the opportunity to attend one, but 13 years taught me a thing or two - if you speak your mind at a Catholic private school, you will disappear.

I know - I saw it happen to several of my friends and teachers. If you do not conform, you just go away. It's like a bad episode of "The Twilight Zone"

My school is different. We are an independent private school. You are free to do about anything you want, you know all the teachers, etc. We emphasize on athletics, school work, free-thought, and getting every person to a tremendous college; such as Cornell, Purdue, Yale, etc. All of this comes at a price, but it is damn worth it.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Something I've noticed about schools in my area is that there is more 'school spirit' in the public schools than in the private ones. I believe that even though a public school doesn't always have the best academic classes for those who excel, it show a variety of kids at different levels. You don't always have to feel so stupid if you aren't doing too well in classes because there are hundreds of others that are the same way...unlike a private school which sometimes you are pressured to do your best ...and sometimes your best isn't enough for the teachers.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
MY MOTHER....considers herself a "victim" of private school. Though, that WAS a long time ago, she does believe the presentation of knowledge was one sided. She endured abuse and what she believed to be "brain washing" , she tried to be partial. This was a "catholic school", ( one of the finest ofcourse) and she was a devout catholic.............
She adored her sister and tried to be like her........
BUT..... when her sister--who was soooooooo holy-- got pointed out..........for a reason she COULD not deny, my mother just couldn't accept the fact!
Her sister had an abnormally large breast size for her age, so the sisters could not ignore it. The sisters decided to bind (spelling?) her chest--with ace bandage.
My mother swore this was sooo wrong! She stated, " God gave them to her, she should wear them...ect"
So her chest was bound every day......

My mothers sister, with unwavering faith, allowed such abuse, feeling it was "rightous"(spelling AGAIN!?)).
If thats the way it should be...let it be..ect...
She was a faithful follower...SHE was a person who qoted the scripture......
Well, 5 years later when my moms sister, Kristine, died an untimely death,( let it be know she suffered a long hard death) my mom vowed never to send her own children to private school.
WHY?
they contorted the truth
abused the truth
used the scriptures to brainwash
punishment over positive reinforcement
repenting was torture
denied one her own self worth.......
my mother , lost her faith, because her sister was abused by the system.
Her sister, who had such faith till the end of her battle with Multiple sclerosis, embrac ed the system that failed her and made her feel she was "unworthy", died believing this was "the way".
F uck private , ..........it allows for one sided liberal views to invade and engross our childrens minds.
Go "public" and allow our strong children to grow their own perception of peers and adults alike. TRUST!
Give them credit Please.. They will overcome, percevere (oh god spellin/) and do right by you if you let them!
Thanks
a namesake,
Kristine

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I think Private schools should get more funding.I have been to 2 high schools 1 public , 1 private and i can say that Private schools are much better.Their is a public high school near my house and it has to be the worst school i know ,Because someone i Knew was killed there.She was my friend from Primary school.
You can think what u want but i know when i grow up i wont send my kids to a public school.
Text Black

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join