It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Human Barometer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hello all,

I want to relate a story of a former schoolmate of mine. This guy has an uncanny ability to predict when it will rain. I'd say, out of 10 times, he gets it right 8 times. And as for the two times that he misses, it's because he couldn't predict the wind patterns. Rain still poured down, just not where he figured it will.

There was once in class when he suddenly said to me "it's gonna rain in a bit." I looked out the window, the sun was shining. I told him "dude, it's scorching out there," and just when I finished the sentence, a loud crash of thunder rocked the school block. I was flabbergasted. Soon it started to drizzle, and sunshine gave way to lightning flashes. That was the first time he revealed to me his predictive ability.

Naturally I was curious as to how he could make such forecasts. So the next time he told me it was going to rain, I asked him how can he be so sure. He told me, "touch my left forearm." I touched it, looking at him puzzled. Then he told me to touch his right forearm. I did so but I didn't get what the point was.

He then asked me "do you sense any difference in the temperature?" That was when I realized his left arm was significantly cooler than his right arm. Ever since then, back in school whenever we made any plans for an outing, we'd touch his left arm to gauge the weather.

That was 10 years ago. I have no idea what happened to the guy.

Now my question to all of you, how is this scientifically possible? Are there any others out there who have this sort of predictive ability?

I look forward to any explanation or response.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
pretty cool...

i would just have to ask if you knew if he had healed from a broken bone if you can remember. most people who have had broken bones and healed from then can feel when rain is coming.

when i was on vac. my dad (who had a broken wrist 1 year ago) would wake up and tell if it was going to rain that day or not.

its really cool cause he knew to the excat moment when it would rain

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Something similar occurs in my family. My grandpa can feel where a storm is at (although he doesn't necessarily predict when it will rain). To a lesser degree, I can feel the power of a storm when I am close to one. Its sort of like every cell of your body is being filled with power that can't go anywhere.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thank you for the responses.

So it seems that there are two categories of human barometers -- those who were born with the ability and those who acquired it later in life. Interesting.

ucanneverdie: I don't know if my classmate had a broken bone. If I recall correctly, there was nothing to indicate that he had broken or fractured his left arm. His left arm seemed normal enough, except it predicts weather.

ShadowedRedemption: That's very fascinating. Have you ever tried to wilfully tap into this ability?

As an aside, I've a fractured left big toe, from a scooter accident 6 years ago. I can't feel the rain coming, though. In fact I can hardly feel anything from that toe. I gotta check the toe by eye daily, just to be sure nothing bad is happening to it.

Edit: missing word

[edit on 9-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well I've haven't really tried to tap into it. I just sort of become abruptly aware when the energy gets to a certain point.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I've met quite a bit of folks who have similar abilities - it seems to be a bit of folk wisdom coupled with personal sensitivities to the world around them.

Amazing stuff.

I've got a minor ability to sense when the next set of ocean waves are going to roll in clean and smooth. It might just be from all the hours sitting in the water, and becoming accustommed to reading the signs of such.

Regardless, it's still cool.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
hjreply to post by GENERAL EYES

I can completely relate. I can feel when the barometric pressure rises or falls, although not all the time. When I feel the pressure rise, it feels like a weight being pushed down on mind and body, I'm afraid and stressed,but I don't want to move. When it falls, its as if I go through the "flight or fight" reaction. I usually want to run. While either of those conditions has caused panic attacks for me, falling pressure does that more often. I had a professor tell me that it could be because of the shape of my skull. I have no clue. I've had very small premonitions before but haven't noticed it in connection with the air pressure.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I have fibromyalgia and can tell when a storm is coming about two to three days before it hits.
A number of other people on the fibromyalgia web site i hang on complain about the same thing.
For us its a curse every winter.
the only time of year i like is summer when it hot and dry.(i live in the mojave desert)
115 degrees in the shade is wonderful for a body that aches

So there is a third type person that are human barometers

[edit on 28-12-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I live in georgia my fingers , wrist , legs , ankle , and feet aches starting about 2 or 3 days before it rains in our area. I am more accurate than the weather channel it never fails. it's due to the pressure changes within your body on hollow voids like between joints which contain fluids than are soppose to lubricate them . Your internal pressure can change due to the amount of external pressure being applied to your body due to barrometric changes of a approching storm or rain . This causes your body to expand and contract putting pressure on sensitive joints and nerves endings surrounding joints , muscles and tendons etc. Many people confuse this with arthritis which could be under lying contributer , but as for me the aches go away after the barrometric rises or the storm hits or goes away. I refuse to take prescibed drugs that may do more harm than good. But asprine does help.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Yep my arthritis gives me that accuracy rate as well. It tells me when its is going to rain as well. I don’t have to watch the weather I know when I wake up in the morning what is going to be going on.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I can feel the change in pressure right before it rains my ears pop. I can also look at the dopler and tell if we have a chance of getting any rain long before I get that feeling. You put the two together and I am a good weatherman.

new topics

top topics

join