It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The famous Mars weathering process that creates perfectly rectangular holes in rocks"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I thought this image was interesting.

planetbiru of OSA www.osasleuths.org... brought the website below to my attention.

www.truthhunters.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well, first of all, and all seriousness intended, you're looking at the darned thing from about a 45. What makes you think you KNOW it is "perfectly rectangular". No telling what kind of Idaho-spud shape it turns into when you get lined up with it.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Well, first of all, and all seriousness intended, you're looking at the darned thing from about a 45. What makes you think you KNOW it is "perfectly rectangular". No telling what kind of Idaho-spud shape it turns into when you get lined up with it.

the face with the hole is sheer. it's a rectangle, fer sure. not necessarily unnatural, but because the hole is on a plane, the shape will not change(that much) as you spin it into a front veiw.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

the face with the hole is sheer. it's a rectangle, fer sure. not necessarily unnatural, but because the hole is on a plane, the shape will not change(that much) as you spin it into a front veiw.

Major bullcorn call! That side is not a plane. Look at it! There is an apparent curve to it (look at the upper portion of it). Two shots are required. We only have one. Can some one post the link from the Mars Rover site to this? Maybe they have a second one a few minutes later after the Rover has repositioned...they do lots of times.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Valhall, if you notice the "quotes" I didn't write it, I took the words from the website. I thought it was cute.

But regardless, it is a weird anomally.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
No problem, Pupp. If you happen to find a link to the original JPL image, please DO post it here.

Thank you!

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Major bullcorn call! That side is not a plane. Look at it! There is an apparent curve to it (look at the upper portion of it). Two shots are required. We only have one. Can some one post the link from the Mars Rover site to this? Maybe they have a second one a few minutes later after the Rover has repositioned...they do lots of times.

look at the shadow. a different angle would clear things up, but i don't think it's 'major bullcorn'. it is the face on the left which gives the appearance of a curve, becuase it slopes away from us, methinks. if it was curving outward, this should be reflected in the appearance of the shadow.
i could be wrong, but so could you. let's not be too hasty, yeah?

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That site also points out that the boulder in the background is levitating.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Two things.. 1) You're looking at a JPEG image. Jpeg compression works by average areas of similar color into rectangular sections of pixels. Heavily compressed JPEG's will create objects with rectangular edges. 2) The "levitation" is do to NASA's image compositing. You can see the edge of an upper and lower image causing the appearance of levitation.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

look at the shadow. a different angle would clear things up, but i don't think it's 'major bullcorn'. it is the face on the left which gives the appearance of a curve, becuase it slopes away from us, methinks. if it was curving outward, this should be reflected in the appearance of the shadow.
i could be wrong, but so could you. let's not be too hasty, yeah?

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to get the record for quotes within quotes.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Now that the rover has moved there are new images of this rock from different perspectives.

origin.mars5.jpl.nasa.gov...

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by ArchAngel]

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Dang Arch beat me.

I just found those myself. There are several shots of it from the rear hazcam.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Here is the best one yet:

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
There are many of what would appear to be copies of these images, but they are separate images taken with different filters with a wide range of frequencies beyond human sight. The 'hole' is black in all of them showing it to be shadow.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
Here is the best one yet:

Is it just me or does the smaller piece of rock belong to the larger piece with the "hole"? As if it was broken off.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It does look as though a piece was broken off. Good eye.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
looki like a hole to me. Im no geologist but that looks like it wasnt made from nature. unless im wrong thats one wierd rock or whatever it is.

new topics

top topics

join