It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Bomb Rocks Algerian Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Car Bomb Attack in East Algeria

news.bbc.co.uk

A number of people have been killed and more injured in a car bomb attack on an Algerian naval barracks in the town of Dellys, 100km (62km) east of Algiers.
There is confusion about the death toll in the attack with sources putting it at between 10 and 16 dead.

It comes just two days after 20 people died in a suicide bomb attack in Batna.

That bomb exploded in a crowd awaiting a visit to the town by President Abdelaziz Bouteflika. He later blamed Islamic militants for the attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

Headline updated

[edit on 8-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
This news is less than an hour old, so reports are scarce.

Found it accidently when I opened Al-Jazera. Took ages.

Something is going on on Islamic websites right now - as was reported earlier today on Um Gazz thread on the Bin Laden Tape.

Post further details when they're up.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Latest update from BBC says 17 killed.

My gut tells me something is coming. If they try to "celebrate" 9/11 with major attacks an overthrowing of secular regimes in the Islamic world might be on the side dish as well.

Islamic websites are overloaded right now.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Latest update from BBC

At least 28 people have been killed and some 60 injured in a car bomb attack on an Algerian naval barracks in Dellys, 100km (62 miles) east of Algiers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

I agree with you, something big is going to happen on Tuesday

Hopefully the secular nations will be able to hold out.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
A decade ago Algeria went through a lot of Islamic terror trying to break the secular reign it always have had.

If I remember right, it started when an election gave majority to an Islamic fundamentalist party, but was overruled by the army who took power.

Here's IHT report on the present blast, mentioning that period.

A recent spate of major bombings in Algeria has generated fears of a return to the mass-scale violence of the 1990s, when Algeria's Islamic insurgency peaked. The country, a staunch U.S. ally in the war against terror, has been trying to turn the page on the 15-year insurgency that killed 200,000 people. Until recently, its efforts appeared mostly successful.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I remember hearing about that ... the Islamic radicals were going around launching guerrilla attacks on Army and Gendarmerie patrols and bases right?

Hopefully now the government forces have a handle on things now. Turkey may start having some similar trouble as well.

new topics

top topics

join