It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran faces $2.65bn US bomb award

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   

A US federal judge has ordered Iran to pay $2.65bn (£1.3bn) to the families of 241 marines killed in a 1983 bombing of their Beirut barracks.

It will be interesting to see how the US gov get Iran to pay up on this one.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm sure they'll get the money right away.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RancidCat

A US federal judge has ordered Iran to pay $2.65bn (£1.3bn) to the families of 241 marines killed in a 1983 bombing of their Beirut barracks.

It will be interesting to see how the US gov get Iran to pay up on this one.

news.bbc.co.uk...

What is with this arrogance in the US legal belief that every sovereign nation in the world is somehow legally bound by the decrees of US courts?

It's ridiculous. If the UN had ordered this after a trial in the Hague it would have some merit but I am sick and tired of seeing these cases portrayed as having some legitimacy.

Even here we have some examples of small cottage industries being forced to change their names or products because of extremely vague similarities to US corporations. It is atrocious, this is not the US, we don't submit to your domestic rulings.

[edit on 8-9-2007 by JimmyBlonde]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SenHeathen

I think they actually will, the money's already in the USA, according to this report.

The victims' families hope to get restitution from Iranian funds blocked in US banks since the aftermath of the 1979 Islamic revolution in Tehran that overthrew the US-backed shah's regime.

afp.google.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The problem is the US HAS the military/economic might to force countries to bend to our will.

Most countries don't want to be considered enemies of the US, as we have rules in place about who we sell to/not selling to US enemies-this is a contract point-that is the US will refuse trade with countries that trade with our enemies.

As far as the moral issue, funny enough, Iran is practicing the same exact thing.

The horses arse of a president of Iran has made speeches about those who trade/have peace with Israel, will burn in theb flames of hell-and he did not mean the afterlife.

Seems to me if they do it, it is perfectly acceptable to do it to them-IMO!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
i wonder how much the US has to pay for the millions dead in iraq and millions displaced and hundreds of thousands of innocent orphans who will grow to hate america even more.

i wonder how much the US plan to pay them.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by omi_kron_gravitron

I couldn't agree more... Everyday, you can read how the American government tries to make themselves rulers of the world. Imposing their laws, their insane christian views and their illegal occupation and military operation in so many countries around the world.
Be it land or air... bow to the will of the American government and their laws.

It's not so very hard anymore that terorists want to hurt the people of America... you are somehow responsible for those who hold the power are you not?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Surely this is just an excuse for the US to get one over Iran. I've no doubt they will get a fair share of that cash, They'll just bleed Iran's western assets.

I wonder how much of that money will go to the victims families though...

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
They dont deserve a penny,this isnt a one world goverment no matter how far the media push the so called land of freedom onto our tv stations

Just like the yanks dont get the rest of the worlds media events i hope that one day we just drown out anything american as to be honest none of us here in the real free world want to hear about warmongering and bad guys

we need a warmonger filter to filter all those lies but still leave us with the the real america that we can indentify with.Hard working,strong family values,good natured,great music and film industry,decent people just like the majority on this planet we all share who are having their reputations tarnished by this dispicable war on terror that is based on a pack of lies

new topics

top topics

join