It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress upset at late-night decision on Mexican trucks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Congress upset at late-night decision on Mexican trucks

www.chron.com

The Bush administration's late-night decision allowing Mexican trucks to ply U.S. roads triggered angry criticism Friday from opponents of the trucking program.

John Hill, head of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, gave the go-ahead for the trucks late Thursday night, allowing Transportes Olympic of Nuevo Leon, Mexico, to drive its trucks beyond the roughly 25-mile limit from the border where they have been confined.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovepolitics.com...

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 8-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Another snip from the aticle has me concerned:

But it also said the administration had no coordinated plans for checking trucks and drivers participating in the test program, and that the motor carrier safety group needed to do more to help enforce the English requirements for drivers.

Five states told the inspector general's office they were not ready to enforce the safety rules for the trucks during the pilot project. Twenty-six states raised one or more concerns.

More than half of the mainland states raised concerns, five said they weren't ready to enforce the DOT safety rules concerning the Mexican trucks, yet the trucks will roll this weekend?

I wonder what could be in the trucks that the inspectors can't handle....
l

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The law enforcement and Inspecting stations in the US can barely handle the semi-truck traffic as it is. This can only become a unbearable strain on the system as it is today, which is understaffed over much of the US. Just another idea that was not thought out very well that made it into everyday practice.

I think the inspections refer more to the drivers and the trucks themselves, as in road safe/legal, rather than what they are carrying. But, I may be wrong.

================================
Just my personaly opinion.

With the general working american's view of mexicans being pretty much negative and coming from a place where trucking was pretty much the only job that paid enough to live on, I have a feeling you'll be seeing these truckers being murdered if they are allowed to take over american trucker jobs. This is really a bad idea.

[edit on 8/9/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
This makes me angry to no end. They need to be checking this trucks and keeping them under surveillance. Every day we are closer and closer to just having open borders.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
What bothers me from the article is that Canadien truckers are already running the roads in the US under the NAFTA agreement, the Mexican trucks must have been a problem otherwise they would be here as well, now, despite more than a few states saying they aren't ready to enforce the rules put forth by DOT, which should put the initiative on hold, it is disregarded and approved in the dark of night which puts those who already claimed they couldn't handle the inspections, under the gun, let alone create a potentially unsafe situation for travelers on the roads that these trucks will travel.

Are Americans that stupid that they don't know what is happening?

Don't answer, most are being bombarded by the OBL tape and stories of Britney Spears next TV appearance, not to mention the breaking news that the Disney girl has a nude photo circulating on the web.

Nothing like real news to keep Americans occupied.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This subject really gets be bubbled. I haven't heard a thing about it on the news . I have heard over a thousand "Just for Men" jokes though! Gah. This is going to bother me all night.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
You know what? I used to be so pro-American. But everyday I hear something new in the news or on here that I simply cant believe what is happening in my/our country. I try talking to people about what I hear and people just look at me completely dumbfounded...dead cattle eyes. I really can't go into it to much or Ill end up writing a small book about it. Im just very saddened by how little the average american knows. Not only that, but how hard they fight against learning about what is really going on in the world.

Ive never been one to be a fear monger, to call "the end is near" everytime a earthquake knocks down a city or to ponder all the different ways the NWO is trying to steal my soul. But, I cant help but wonder if this really may be the end of the experiment. How much longer can these kind of laws be passed before the system as we know it fades into history without anyone noticing? How long can democracy last in a nation full of people ignorant of how democracy works? Its quite obvious that I/we are outnumbered. Maybe its time to get out before the sheeple start herding us around.

==========================
About the truckers (lol)

If the borders are going to be "open," then that means there will be no inspections at the border. Can you imagine the influx of "illegal" people when this starts? Not only this, but you occasionaly hear about semi-trailers being dumped in the desert full of people trying to make it into the US and end up being killed. You'd probably see alot more of this. I sure as hell hope that the truckers will only be bringing trailers in and not taking anything out. Thats when I think US truckers would get really angry and all hell would break loose on the highways. As for Canada, I wasn't to happy about that, but most americans are comfortable with the idea since they seem to have high standards for safety and pretty much have the same rules of the road, also the have standards on who can and can not drive trucks (refering to the drug testing mostly). Besides, many Canadian trucks dont go throughout the nation, most of their deliveries are to the northern cities as far as I can tell. Living near a Major US city in the middle of the country, I have never seen a canadian truck out on the roads, but Im sure their out there.

I guess we will see the reaction of americans, especially truckers, when the trucks start rolling over the border this weekend...tomorrow...crap, today? I guess I should pay a little more attention to the calender. lol

[edit on 8/9/07 by Pfeil]

new topics

top topics

join