It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APEC Proest Updates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just thought i'd make this thread to keep everyone informed with updates on the APEC protests.

I had planned to go down today and photograph the protests however i have a barstard flu from hell and wont be going anywhere.

I have mates down there though who are giving me updates as it happens, so for those interested i will post them here.

11am: About 5,000 people milling around Town Hall station and the actual protest march hasnt started yet.
There are police everywhere, as expected, but absoluetly no signs of trouble or even people who look like they want to start trouble.

Numbers are kept down because of early morning rain.

No-one is really sure where the march will go at this stage...

Watch this space

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
QUICK UPDATE

2pm:Nothing really huge to report.

The most interesting moment came when the riot police boxed in protesters from the front and both sides creating a dead-end so to speak in the protest march.

A line of riot police then moved in form the back, with the water canon behind them, to literally box-in the protesters. No-one could go anywhere, they were trapped, and the tension got quite high.

It was at that point everyone pulled out there cameras just in case but nothing eventuated.

There was not one sign of violence. Just a lot of police and an overhwelming feeling of oppresion.

Overall my friend said there were about 500-600 police and around 15,000 to 20,000 protesters.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by srsen]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Glad to hear it didn't turn violent and that nobody got hurt. Do you have some local links that I could check up on? I'd like to read the stories from some Aussie sources about the protests and the feelings of the people their in general about this.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
yeah it was great that the media didnt get what it wanted. they might actually have to report on what the protesters were saying for once... but instead they will probably drag out the G8 vioelnce footage.... again.

Local links? well i havent really seen much get reported yet. not even from the groups who would have been protesting. I'd give it a couple more hours yet mate

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Went to the protest this morning and just thought I'd add my 10cents worth....

Lots of police overkill as expected, many with vidcams. We were spoken to by several speakers and also asked to remain calm and not be provoked by the police or a group of further along from Town Hill dressed in black (organisers thought they may have been neo nazis?). I did not see any incident with the riot squad and perhaps the water cannon was closeted away in a back street. My husband and I were up near the head of the protest.

Once in Hyde Park near the fountain opposite St Marys Cathedral we listened to more speakers and a teenaged Moslem girl climbed up onto the fountain with a NO WAR banner. She was saturated and circled that fountain several times to tumultuous applause. I think she was really brave to have done that, especially with the way some Aussies feel about those who practice Islam.

A group of colourfully dressed (and colourfully haired) young musicians, males and females with the greatest array homemade instruments were playing near the pathway. A couple of cops came over with their vidcam and right in the middle of the muso's circle. The crowd moved in on the coppers and they looked a little spooked and buggered off quick smart (the coppers that is).

I was proud to part of this protest today and there were people from all cultures and age groups, lots of grey power too.

There are two things I am annoyed about though.

Coming home up the F3 at 2pm with the news on 2WSFM and we hear that "3000 protesters turned out" and that it was peaceful because of "the large police presence"
WRONG WRONG WRONG We, the protesters, chose to remain civil and understood the importance of the message we want to send to the world and those dictators.

The other incident I am sure wll pee most of us off. 1 copper was hurt with an iron bar and another with a dart (www.news.com.au) Could be a beatuo ?? If true...just not on. If the truth be known, most of those coppers would have liked to join us but were gagged by their profession.

res

[edit on 8-9-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   
no most cops are two faced fascists hypocrates who are used to lying to get a desired answer out of there victims. They protect those that force a paycheck for them out of you, unwittingly and stubbornly they follow this system, because they use folly, instead of wisdom.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Here are a few links for you on the APEC thing... I like the cheeky protest thing, that's Australian spirit for you!

edition.cnn.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Cheeky Protest

Judge criticizes police censure of protests

Protest 'fizzles'

Isn't it funny how the media labels the protests as having 'fizzled' due to the lack of violence... I guess they will have to put their head together and do some serious grown up journalism for a change if they want to sell more papers...

Either that or put more 'Calvin and Hobbes' in, I love that cartoon.

[edit on 8-9-2007 by JimmyBlonde]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
my sister is a police officer so I generally understand their mindset quite well.

I can tell you this for sure - I believe most cops look down on protesters as hippies and don’t really care for what they are protesting. However, that is not to say that they are all a-holes with attitude problems. I normally defend police officers when people generalise about them and say they are this or that.

However after APEC I am very upset with the police. The way they conducted themselves seemed VERY heavy handed as if THEY wanted a fight. My blood has been boiling watching the news and the way dealt with the peaceful protesters. It's wrong and unacceptable to see what we have seen - a 53 yr old accountant being arrested for jay walking? I mean there is NO excuse for that!

It will be the police who are viewed as the trouble makers at APEC protests in the years to come, and not anyone else.

The increased security better go away AND FAST now because I for one will not stand for it anymore. Can you tell its pee'd me off?

Anyway for thanks for the contributions guys. Interesting reading

top topics

join