It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roman ship found in Cartagena!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The MNAM-CNIAS found this doozy while rummaging around the sea bed. They found a number of maritime articles before running into it.

Here is the first article I came across. The ship appears to be a Roman Galleon, and was discovered sitting right alongside two 19th-20th century bulks.

This site has some photos and good info on Roman Galleons and what they did, when they did it, and how well.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Wow that's crazy! I love reading stories about stuff they find in the ocean. So many things undiscovered and lost down there.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, I love reading of new findings of our world's past.

Archaeologists reveal that wine was drunk in Rome in huge quantities over 2,000 years ago. The annual consumption for the city was in region of 1.5 million hectolitres. --from op's source

That's alot of wine, I wonder if this mass consumption could have contributed to some of these wrecks..

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It's a shame we had to lose so many wonderful artifacts. I think one of the most horrible tragedies had to be theNemi Ships. Took forever to finally get them raised. One the greatest recoveries in archaeological history, and it gets burned by a fleeing soldier in 1944.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Marine archaeology is really where all the exciting discoveries are being made lately. There's the ruins discovered at Alexandria in the bay of the previous city. Ruins in India. And these. I also found this while checking your story.

www.turkishdailynews

“The lost underwater history of the Aegean and Mediterranean” project, which began in May has already located over 20 shipwrecks, eight underwater ruins, and six sunken locations dating back to the Ottoman era.

20 shipwrecks.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Exciting times, indeed. New technologies are allowing us to probe deeper and deeper into the ocean as the years progress. There's no limit to what we might discover.

"Findings we discovered in Alaati belong to 5 BC. The ones in Gkova belong to the Hellenistic and Roman period. We focus on the commercial route of old times. We are planning to carry out a project in the Black Sea after the Aegean and Mediterranean," said Prof. zdas.

Turkish Daily News article

top topics

join