It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have to go to college to become a pilot the the USAF?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I know there is a thread about this from a year or so ago, but I didnt really find much information as it was just a bunch of semi random facts. I've read allt he articles on the internet and some say you have to have 4 year degree others say right out of high school, so I'm a bit confused. Anyone in training to become a pilot for the usaf that can give me some insight to this or any ex-pilots? Thanks and please delete if you feel this has been covered, sorry

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Racerzeke:

While I disclaim having served in the USAF, I will tentatively suggest that your best bet would be to apply to the US Air Force Academy, and get a degree in something like aeronautical engineering.

It's a definite leg up on your officer career in the Army if you are a USMA graduate from what I could see, it sure seems to cover for a lot of faults anyway, so I'd expect it to work the same in the Air Force.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Yes, only Commissioned Officers can fly. You can get a college degree through ROTC, other military assistance, or take your degree to Officer Training School (OTS). You can also go to the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Basically you need an accredited education through a means that the military permits.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I believe it's possible to enlist and work your way up, but that does involve becoming an officer before they let you fly a plane. This of course involves going to the Officer Training School which I believe is somewhere in New Mexico. However I believe that the wide majority of the Air Force's officers come from either the Academy in Colorado, or through ROTC.

So you can either go to college and then into a school very similar to college, or just enlist and then go to a school similar to college. That's what my research tells me since I'm planning on enlisting in June and then hopefully I'll one day go to the Officer Training School.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Okay okay cool, I could probably get more information out of the recruiting guys that go to my school but they usually come at the end of the year so I will have to wait a while. Thanks for the replies

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Here's a link that might help you in your question:

How to Become an Air Force Pilot

I do believe that you must be commisioned, (which means a college degree would be needed)

If you wanted to fly but didn't want to pursue a college degree, I think you can fly choppers as a warrant officer in the Army, they usually fly choppers, either way I wish you the best on your goals!!!

[edit on 2007/9/8 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
to become an officer (which you have to be) you must have a minimum of a bachelors....i do not recommend the acadamey...as that is almost as strict as basic training....but it's for four years....and you are not allowed to be married....(just in case you are)

if you want to experience the college life...while still getting commissioned...the best way to go is ROTC....

you can also go ahead and get your degree...and then apply to OTS....

if you enlist you can get your education completly free....but unless you are super dedicated...and recieve your bachelors right after tech school.....you'll spend a minimum of 4 years enlisted...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I really dont want to go to college lol even though to get a decent career in anything you have to go which I think is kinda lame. How come you have to pay for college, just curious?

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by racerzeke

if you go ROTC they give you certain levels of scholorships....from a small amount to full ride and then some....i am unsure of how they determine what you get.....

in the acadamey....if you finish all your time then go active i believe it's free...except at the cost of your eternal soul....i kid..about the soul thing....

there are government grants and such that you have to apply for.....the govment also gives you grants based on your parents tax brackets....and some states have scholarships for the poor....

the college i went to had a program where you could work for the school....and half your paycheck went to paying off the school....they only paid minimum wage and it took forever to get in cause so many were doing it......

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
I know there is a thread about this from a year or so ago, but I didnt really find much information as it was just a bunch of semi random facts. I've read allt he articles on the internet and some say you have to have 4 year degree others say right out of high school, so I'm a bit confused. Anyone in training to become a pilot for the usaf that can give me some insight to this or any ex-pilots? Thanks and please delete if you feel this has been covered, sorry

Your best bet would be to aim for a high enough high-school score to get you into whatever the USAF academy is, failing that I am sure that if your marks are sufficient there is a general entry scheme. Good luck, I wanted to be a fighter pilot too once but when I realised that they didn't fly Spitfires anymore I lost interest.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It would help if your father were a Senator. George H.W. Bush was a pilot in the Army Air Corps at age 18.

I think those days are gone now, though, and you do, in fact, need to have a college degree in order to be an officer and, thus, to fly.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork
It would help if your father were a Senator. George H.W. Bush was a pilot in the Army Air Corps at age 18.

I think those days are gone now, though, and you do, in fact, need to have a college degree in order to be an officer and, thus, to fly.

I am pretty sure that you can get that degree as a part of your training, and get payed for it.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

if it was back when he was 18.....they still had enlisted pilots....and also his father wasnt a senator for another 10 years afterwards

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wenfieldsecret
reply to post by Tuning Spork

if it was back when he was 18.....they still had enlisted pilots....and also his father wasnt a senator for another 10 years afterwards

Well to be a pilot you need to be an officer, but I think in the Guard you can become an officer while still working towards your degree. You can also fly in the Army as a warrant officer and they might not need a four year degree just starting out.

Some come in as enlisted to get a four year degree and then move on to becoming an officer and pilot. As an enlisted there are 6 or so jobs that are enlisted fliers.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

i was referring to the comment that said bush sr. was only a pilot at 18 because his daddy was a senator....and i shot down the comment....

you cannot be an officer without having a bachelors....if you go to the academy you technically are in the air force...but you arent an officer untill you graduate....

the best bet to get a full ride is to enlist....(hence right out of high school....you can enlist when you're 17 with parents permission)....they give you 100% tuition assistance....and also if you serve a minimum of 2 years you get the montgomery gi bill....which states that anyone who has served in the military....can get up to 40k to use for college...either while they're enlisted....or up to ten years after they seperate....

but it's all up to you....there possibly a gagillion* ways.........

*a gigillion may be a slight exageration....

p.s. there may be six enlisted flying jobs....but there's like 50 aircraft...causing like 30 some differnt applications total....i'm in one of them....and i dont even do what i was trained in tech school for....

[edit on 9-9-2007 by wenfieldsecret]

[edit on 9-9-2007 by wenfieldsecret]

new topics

top topics

join