It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The FED pumped how many billions into the market?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I am having a hard time finding a definitive answer to how many billions of dollars that have been put in to the market recently by the Federal Reserve to qwell the market turmoil over the subprime mortgage problems. I can't tell what is a rehash of old news and numbers, and what is

Has anyone added up how much they, the FED, have put in? What does that really mean for the markets? Inflation? I am not versed in these things at all, and if I would qualify for a loan, it probably would have been a subprime one. So at least the turmoil is causing me to try to understand what it really means. What does it mean? I have seen the some of the doom and gllom threads, but what I need is a clearer picture about what we are even talking about, and how it relates to me. (I am not trying to be a narcissist, I just don't understand it really)

I read somewhere, that I can't remember right now, that stated that a million dollars today, compared when ABC launched Who Want's To Be A Millionaire, that a million today equals $750,000 worth of buying power then. I wish I had a link... so think of that as an anecdote.

Thank you for your time.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Yeah i dont know the exact number either, i think it was around 40B.

I truly wish the FED's just friggin raise the rate to what it should be. The people who took out variable rate mortages when the rates were at historic lows are retarted. Are they stupid, the rates were ONLY going to go up. They couldnt' go down. They are the ones who caused this housing market to skyrocket. Also to thoes banks who gave out thoes loans they should go bankrupt!

Never take out a subprime loan, unless the rates are crazy high like 12% and the only place they can go is down.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
let's see

$35 billion -8/10
money.cnn.com...

$17 billion - 8/17
today.msnbc.msn.com...

another $17 billion -8/23????
www.breitbart.com...

$31 billion - 9/6
www.freemarketnews.com...

umm let's just say IT'S ALOT!! as for what it means, I think weaker dollar, while the stock market stays up.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What I don't understand where does that money come from? The FED can just give money to banks? What gives them the right to cause inflation like that?

I'm sure that money isn't out on a loan with intrest or the banks will just get in more trouble.

The mystery of the FED, good stuff.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thank you world watcher...

I also found this through Rense:
Fed and ECB inject £44bn to unglue money markets

Fed and ECB inject £44bn to unglue money markets
By Sean Farrell, Financial Editor
Published: 07 September 2007
Central banks in the US and Europe pumped money into the financial system yesterday to try to unglue the money markets as the price of inter-bank lending continued to rise, causing fears about the wider economy.

The US Federal Reserve injected $31.3bn (£15.5bn) into the banking system and the European Central Bank pumped €42.2bn (£28.5bn) into the money markets.

Central banks are trying to encourage banks to start lending to each other again after rocketing defaults by risky US mortgage customers caused the value of bonds backed by the loans to tumble. The market for all but the safest forms of debt has virtually dried up because financial institutions are worried about where losses from exotic securities and derivatives will turn up next.

Does that mean that in addition to the 100 billion or so, is the ECB throwing Euros into their markets as well?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aquarius3733

I second that!

Where?

Is it just money they have lying around? Or is it like a mad rush to print more bills, and add more zeros to the computer databases? Some monkey in a cage signing checks when they shock him or is it done with pomp and circumstance and a ceremony where they bequeath many credits upon those most deserving due to their excellent citizenship file?

What I really hate is the commercials telling me that I am holding progress up if I don't use my Visa Check card, but every gas station charges a 45 cent fee to use the service, and it counts as an off network atm use, and then the bank charges me a dollar. So if I were making minimum wage at 5.85 an hour, I just 'spent' 15 minutes of my wages in order not to 'hold up the line' for the amount of time it takes a human being to count change....

DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a year or two back, the Fed's stopped printing a certain report (can't remember which) and many people at the time said they did it so that they (FEDS) can basically print as much cash as they want, basically making the dollar worthless. In this scenario, it's possible to the tie the two together, now I just have to find that article. I also believe there is a thread about it. I'll gonna ask Gools or Hellmutt, they're usually good at remembering stuff like this.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Why would they print more money though, doesnt the fed have some kind of vested interest in the usa? Ya know, we lose they lose? I dont understand what they stand to gain.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
here's a thread that might be of interest, as to the effects of the Fed's move..
It’s Official: The Crash of the U.S. Economy has begun

oh and here's the thread from Gools
The Plunge Protection Team...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thanks WW, the Plunge Thread helped a bit more.

I don't understand how economics/credit really works.
I can tell you how to market things to the masses, but hardly know anything about the subject.

I am more than willing to learn, but don't know where to look.
I don't even know what a credit report really means....

DocMoreau

join