It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's discuss Ley Lines...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Indulge me if you will, as I attempt to spark some interesting conversation on the topic of Ley Lines. I made an attempt at this about a year ago and garnered little interest. Here's hoping this time we can get some debate going, as I think these Ley Lines are a very interesting topic.

Ley lines are hypothetical alignments of a number of places of geographical interest, such as ancient monuments and megaliths. Their existence was suggested in 1921 by archaeologist Alfred Watkins, whose book The Old Straight Track brought the alignments to the attention of the wider public.

The existence of alignments between sites is easily demonstrated. However, the causes of these alignments are disputed. There are several major areas of interpretation: Let's review some of these...

* Archaeological: A new area of archaeological study, archaeogeodesy, examines geodesy as practiced in prehistoric time, and as evidenced by archaeological remains. One major aspect of modern geodesy is surveying. As interpreted by geodesy, the so-called ley lines can be the product of ancient surveying, property markings, or commonly travelled pathways. Numerous societies, ancient and modern, employ straight lines between points of use; archaeologists have documented these traditions. Modern surveying also results in placement of constructs in lines on the landscape. It is reasonable to expect human constructs and activity areas to reflect human use of lines.

* Cultural: Many cultures use straight lines across the landscape. In South America, such lines often are directed towards mountain peaks; the Nazca lines are a famous example of lengthy lines made by ancient cultures. Straight lines connect ancient pyramids in Mexico; today, modern roads built on the ancient roads deviate around the huge pyramids. The Chaco culture of Northwestern New Mexico cut stairs into sandstone cliffs to facilitate keeping roads straight.

* New Age: The ley lines and their intersection points resonate a special psychic or magical energy, often including elements such as geomancy, dowsing or UFOs, stating that, for instance, UFO's travel along ley lines (in the way that one might observe that cars use roads and highways). These points on lines have electrical or magnetic forces associated with them.

* Skeptical: Skeptics of the actuality of ley lines often classify them as pseudoscience. Such skeptics tend to doubt that ley lines were planned or made by ancient cultures, and argue that apparent ley lines can be readily explained without resorting to extraordinary or pseudoscientific ideas.

The existence of the observed alignments is not controversial. Both believers in magical and ancient theories of ley lines and skeptics of these theories agree that these alignments exist between megaliths and ancient sites.

The following is a map of Ley Lines running through Seattle, WA. This was put together by a group of New Age dowsers, the Geo Group. They were given $5,000 dollars by the Seattle Arts Commission to do this map. Photographs of the result, which looks like a defaced satellite photo of the Seattle area, can be purchased for $7.00 from the group. It proudly proclaims that the "project made Seattle the first city on Earth to balance and tune its ley-line system." The Arts Commission has been criticized by skeptical citizens for funding a New Age, pagan sect, but the artwork continues to be displayed on a rotating basis in city-owned buildings within Seattle.

So, I would like to hear what some of your theories on Ley Lines are. What particular stance do you take with them? Let's get some interesting discussion going here. I really think this is an excellent topic for debate.

nYk

Mod Edit: Image Hotlinking – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think there are many unrelated different types of ley lines. There is a good amount of evidence that the Nazca lines/illustrations were markers and instructions for getting to water, since it was in the desert that makes it quite the important resource. I'm more skeptical about dowsing rods, pendulums, and other methods being used to find water, hydro lines, etc.

On the more paranormal side, there are "energy meridians" believed to be responsible for UFO sightings, hauntings, etc in certain areas. Whether the rock and ground is highly magnetic in these areas (I've noticed a trend that many hauntings occur on locations with very strong electromagnetic fields,) or something less tangible, there are many possible forms they can take.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
A lot of people are skeptical about the dowsing rod side of Ley Lines. I have however experimented with them and was able to locate the underground water pipes running through my neighborhood.

At one point last year when this topic was first brought up, there were a few of us considering a research project to map out supposed Ley Lines in our respective areas. I could never get that to materialize though.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yes they do exist. I used to live in Sedona Arizona and people would travel from around the world to come and just sit with the energies of the vortexes.
I can attest to the mythical energies that can be experienced while meditating in these power spots. I have experienced loss of time and other wonderful phenomena while at these points of condensed energy.
As for the geographical connectivity to other points in the world it just makes sense. Like the veins that run through our bodies these points intersect and join together as well.
Native Americans from the surrounding tribes used to gather at these locations to hold their meetings of the Elders and for spiritual ceremonies. I love the topic and hope that many more scientific reasoning can be brought to the table about this interesting topic. I would love to see the world map of the energy lines again, seems like I have seen one long ago.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Yes they do exist. I used to live in Sedona Arizona and people would travel from around the world to come and just sit with the energies of the vortexes.
I can attest to the mythical energies that can be experienced while meditating in these power spots. I have experienced loss of time and other wonderful phenomena while at these points of condensed energy.
As for the geographical connectivity to other points in the world it just makes sense. Like the veins that run through our bodies these points intersect and join together as well.
Native Americans from the surrounding tribes used to gather at these locations to hold their meetings of the Elders and for spiritual ceremonies. I love the topic and hope that many more scientific reasoning can be brought to the table about this interesting topic. I would love to see the world map of the energy lines again, seems like I have seen one long ago.

Yes, it is a very interesting scientific topic. Although some skeptics may not consider it scientific, I do, because there is no denying they exist. I would be interested in starting up the research group again if there is enough interest to locate these lines in our specific areas and map them out. If there is anyone out there who is interested in doing this, let me know.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Seattle has some overcast energies, that most can't explain, but have witnessed. The mapping of the lines and the future having statues, where they exist, will help people connect with the more positive energy of the region. This is much needed, as the city lays on a fault line(Seattle Fault), etc.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yesterday, I took a trip to Stonehenge with my mate. We had hired a Transit Van to kip in - Stonehenge seemed like a great place to visit bearing in mind its supposed Lay Line proximity and mysterious properties.

Anyway, we did the tour and chilled out near the area until sunset, we then turned our attention to the sky.

We both saw what can only be described as 'intelligently controlled' balls of light in the sky - the most impressive thing I saw was one that navigated behind a cloud, and did not come out the other side. There was then a flash of light from the cloud. and the light seemed to plummet towards earth smoothly, silently and then dissapear before it hit the ground.

Personally I was stunned. I had done research about Ley Lines and their energetical properties; i knew that UFO phenomena was always more active around such places, but we didn't even have to search to find this activity.

There's definitely something about Ley Lines that we've not yet sussed...

new topics

top topics

join