It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"War is over"-South Korean President, "The heck it ain't"-American President

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

SYDNEY, Australia - President Bush's talks with South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun ended on a sour note Friday not over the war in Iraq, but rather the Korean conflict that ended with a truce more than five decades ago.

As Bush began to wind down his stay at the Asia-Pacific summit, Roh challenged him to make a declaration to end the Korean War. That conflict ended in a truce in 1953, not a peace treaty, so the two sides technically remain at war.

Whatever Roh heard Bush say through his translator, it wasn't good enough.

"I think I did not hear President Bush mention the — a declaration to end the Korean War just now," Roh said as cameras clicked and television cameras rolled.

Bush said he thought he was being clear, but obliged Roh and restated the U.S. position.

That wasn't good enough either. "If you could be a little bit clearer in your message," Roh said.

Bush, now looking irritated, replied: "I can't make it any more clear, Mr. President. We look forward to the day when we can end the Korean War. That will end — will happen when Kim verifiably gets rid of his weapons programs and his weapons."

Seems to me that South Koreans are still pursuing the Sunshine policy even though North Korea has pursued nuclear weapons. Guess the South Koreans believed their own flesh and blood would go to war against them.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Sounds like the s.koreans have the situation under control
.So lets pull the U.S.troops out and let them fend for themselves.If their not concerned about their freedom why should the U.S.be??

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have a few South Korean friends. Really nice people. They love drinking games. After they get drunk they seem to like talking about politics. Inevitably the subject of North Korea will be brought up. From what I can gather, most South Koreans are for re-unification with the North. That's not surprising. South Vietnam was for re-unification with their northern counterpart. They achieved their goal. Now the US doesn't have much influence over Vietnam.

So unsurprisingly the US is not for Korean re-unification. They'd lose their remaining influence in Asia. With Korea united, there's no reason for the US to maintain a presence on the peninsular.

Also from my talks with Soju-intoxicated South Koreans, they don't really like the amount of influence the US has over their country. It's probably the same reason why Roh Moo-hyun isn't too happy with Bush.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Xfile

The US rules SK. Their government is inside the occupied Green Zone. It was never handed over to the peoples government and this is shown by the fact that SK does not have wartime command of its own military.

And the War Tribunals still exist with the power to try even the SK Prime Minister himself. If they choose.

Yes, SK is not free but they are democratic.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
I have a few South Korean friends. Really nice people. They love drinking games. After they get drunk they seem to like talking about politics. Inevitably the subject of North Korea will be brought up. From what I can gather, most South Koreans are for re-unification with the North. That's not surprising. South Vietnam was for re-unification with their northern counterpart. They achieved their goal. Now the US doesn't have much influence over Vietnam.

Should talk to the older South Koreans, but then past is past eh? Whose to say South Vietnam was for reunification? The North Vietnamese didn't look like they were patient to wait, instead they invaded, just like North Korea did. Not to mention if you look around, you notice that there are suddenly so many Vietnamese Americans around in America, wonder how the heck that happened. Fleeing from the Communists whenever possible.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I'm only conveying what I hear from them. Sorry if it doesn't fit your world view. It's not my problem.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I would think twice about reunification if i were the s.koreans.It could be like a prosperous west germany having to absorb the shambles of its eastern counterpart after the wall fell.There were many unhappy west germans after the euphoria wore off and reality set in.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Xfile

Yet today the German economy is stronger than ever. What's that saying again, the one you folks like to say when it comes to the Iraqi Insurgency? Ah yes, I remember now.

"You can't make an omelette without breaking a couple of eggs."

Isn't that so?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Like the rest of the world, the Koreans have had it with "Endless War for Endless Peace" policies.

top topics

join