It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"...the mighty men of old, men of great renown"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I notice these are mentioned at the beginning of the Old Testament. Having read the entire thing (40+ hours), there doesn't seem to be any specific mention of them.

What happened to these amazing men? Why were their exploits not documented?

I can only think of one religion that has many heroes, mighty men of great renown...the greeks.

Anyone have any ideas?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Genesis 6:4 (New International Version) reads,
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.”

Nephilim is also translated in some versions of the Bible as “Giants” or “Annunaki”.

Do a search for Giant, Nephilim, or Annunaki, on the web site www.biblegateway.com... (which contains the entire Bible) and you should get several results.

These beings are interesting, and certainly prominent in what is to soon come and what has been. Many say they come from the planet Nibiru.

~Grand

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

"...the mighty men of old, men of great renown"

I notice these are mentioned at the beginning of the Old Testament. Having read the entire thing (40+ hours), there doesn't seem to be any specific mention of them.

I can only think of one religion that has many heroes, mighty men of great renown...the greeks. Anyone have any ideas?

Mighty men of great renown does not mean, wonderful heros. It is quite the opposite. When the fallen angels came to earth and mated with the daughters of Adam they produced giants. Not only did they do that but they brought knowledge of some things to man that God didn't want them to know at that time, if ever.

These angels had children in the group of people that Christ would come from. It was an attempt by satan to stop the pure line to Christ. For that reason God sent the flood of Noah. Noah himself and his family were "pure in their generations", meaning, their blood line was not mixed with that of the fallen angels.

As far as mentioning the "amazing men" - the giants, etc., they were probably the genesis of mythology. Zeus, Thor, etc. There was a second influx of fallen angels where giants were again produced. David slew one of them with his slingshot - Goliath.

........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by whirlwind

As far as mentioning the "amazing men" - the giants, etc., they were probably the genesis of mythology. Zeus, Thor, etc. There was a second influx of fallen angels where giants were again produced. David slew one of them with his slingshot - Goliath.

........Whirlwind

Correct...........Zeus is Nimrod and Thor is Tammuz

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

I can only think of one religion that has many heroes, mighty men of great renown...the greeks.

Heh! Your question wasn't that easy to answer, but I came up with two other religions: The Celtic (Irish) have many such heroes, and so do the Hindus. China does as well, but some of those are more modern than the Greeks. The Hopi and Navajo and Pueblo also have some hero tales that are religious in nature, as do many North American tribes. But most often it's the god-as-hero model that we see in other cultures.

No, there's no mention of those heroes in the OT. I don't think they occur in the Midrash (Jewish rabbinical commentaries on the OT.)

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Correct...........Zeus is Nimrod and Thor is Tammuz

I haven't studied mythology at all. It seems confusing and just plain strange. I don't doubt that there were giants and they would have been gods to normal people, not only because of their size but the things they knew. Also, because of them and the fallen angels, God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth...., so great He sent the flood of Noah.

So...Zeus being Nimrod..I don't know. I read an interesting book in which an excellent argument is made for Cain being Sargon of Akkad. If so, he would be the reason for all the babel coming out of Babylon. He so garbled the true creation story with his "side of the story" that many mistakenly attribute his story as the correct beginning and say the Jewish account was based on his.

What better way to make humans doubt God then to twist the truth as to the beginning of His creation.

..............Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well, every culture has the "giant myths." To me, to assume that such a being didn't exist would be somewhat ignorant. Now, the debate would be, in my mind, when we say "giant," how big are we talking.

Several hundred thousand of years ago, a person who stood 6' tall, would be considered a rather large person. By todays' standards, that isn't very large at all. As a matter of fact, it is rather diminutive.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well, every culture has the "giant myths." To me, to assume that such a being didn't exist would be somewhat ignorant. Now, the debate would be, in my mind, when we say "giant," how big are we talking.

Several hundred thousand of years ago, a person who stood 6' tall, would be considered a rather large person. By todays' standards, that isn't very large at all. As a matter of fact, it is rather diminutive.

The time of the Biblical giants wasn't "several hundred thousand of years ago" as the flood of Noah was 2348 BC. The first influx of giants were killed then. They couldn't have been before Adam and he was formed in 4004 BC.

The giants were much taller than 6'. Goliath was nine feet:

1Samuel 17:4 And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.

A cubit is about 18" (it was decided by the span between the tip of the middle finger and the elbow of the ruler of the time so it could vary). Using that measurement Goliath was 9 feet tall.

Another giant is spoken of Deuteronomy 3:11......

For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold, his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.

So... his bed was 13 1/2 feet long and 6 feet wide. How tall was he? (that is the same measurement as the tomb of Marduk in Babylon)

There is another book, I don't have with me at the moment, that is about giants. It tells of enormous skeletons found in many places around the world. Many with double rows of teeth and 6 fingers and toes.

A few months ago I saw a program on television. Perhaps you also saw it. A man crossed a lion with a tiger. The result he calls a Liger and it is enormous - much larger than either of his parents.

...........Whirlwind

new topics

top topics

join