It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Poll: Most people 'want Iraq pull-out'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   

BBC Poll: Most people 'want Iraq pull-out'

news.bbc.co.uk

Most people across the world believe US-led forces should withdraw from Iraq within a year, a BBC poll suggests.

Some 39% of people in 22 countries said troops should leave now, and 28% backed a gradual pull-out. Just 23% wanted them to stay until Iraq was safe.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
This the writing on the wall. For those in blinkers it might be hard to see though.

This is a very broad hint only a tyran can overlook.

How long does it take for some people to listen?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I went to try and find a similar poll on how many people think we should invade Iran, but couldn't find anything. I think the numbers for people in support of that will be so much lower still, after all the problems with the 'evidence' and reasons last time, I think people will not stand for going into that war without some real serious, conclusive evidence that it is needed.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bobafett

I dunno man, I think that if something big happens, e.g. 'terrorist' attacks in NYC and London, a majority of the US/UK public will let their stupidity and bloodthirst eclipse their sense.

If the attacks are blamed on Iranians, you can guarantee that at least some people will forget all about how dodgy Iraq and Afghanistan were and call for war again anyway.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by malganis

Yeah, I agree, a big attack may sway the people. At this stage though it looks unlikely we (the UK) will get involved in Iran, and I hope it stays that way.

Going back to Iraq, it was pretty crazy how the government convinced the public so easily that it was a good idea, and even after the WMD, and 45mins were proven either false or wildly overblown, they then twisted people into thinking we went in to get rid of Saddam. I'm glad though that not too long after a lot of people began to really question it all, I hope that people will be a lot more suspicious this time around.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
No! We will not pull-out! This is a democratic nation, and you have no say in this matter!
In fact I want you guys to read this:
Article

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Thanks for the article. Good to see at least some are protesting. After all it was the massive protest that DID STOP the Vietnam war.

But I don't understand how you can say WE, the world, has no say on the matter, when YOU (the US) wanted the whole world to join the coalition on a war only sanctioned by corporate interests of the financial supporters to the Bush campaign.

If America (the US) wants to gain its credibility you better listen.

I have no fear being against you (the US).

Edit to add: I want you to read THIS.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am not in the US, I am Canadian, but a war effects us as a whole and not as individuals. US is supposed to be a country for the free, so seeing this it makes me think that US' highest leaders are up to something. I was born in Iraq, so I know the impact the US had on that nation. It used to be a glorious nation, at one point us Christians were side by side with Muslims, now more and more Christians must flee because of the terrorists. Not to mention that more and more Muslims are being killed because of sectarian violence.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
It used to be a glorious nation, at one point us Christians were side by side with Muslims, now more and more Christians must flee because of the terrorists.

Foregive my ignorance for taken you American. Your origine puts your views in quite another perspective. I can understand your anger.

But wouldn't you agree that the present havoc and terror in Iraq is a result of the war engaged on knowingly false premises?

As you state yourself, things were much calmer and orderly under Saddam. That's my impresion they were, also that a degree of common welfare was established there.

Saying so doesn't mean I was a fan of Saddam. Far from, I despise any tyran.

That's what makes me angry, another tyran now ruining your country for gain of himself and his croonies.

As you put it yourself "a glorious nation" going down the drain because someone use the excuse of democracy to follow their selfish gains.

Democracy is a generation long development that can never be enforced. To do it the coalition way only ensures it will only take that more generations to achive it.

You have my full sympathy.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Honestly, I remember when I was a kid we used to play on the streets, with no worries what so ever. Now, kids must be fearful and parents are morons to let their kids play in the streets. I am sure you heard of that one kid who got gas poured on him and then lit. The thing I liked about Saddam was that he did not care about terrorists, he knew they were scared of him. In Iraq it's either the government is feared, or the people will try to revolt in order to get their religious leader in place.
Right now, as my grandfather described it to us, is that you are lucky to have running water for 1 hour a day, there is barely any food and no electricity. He said it is pretty safe, maybe it's because he has been in whatever part of town he is from for a while now.
I am not really angry, all of my family escaped Iraq, accept my grandpa who wanted to stay. It does not mean your ignorant, because I spoke like I was from the US. I guess we must wait and see what the next move for us all is.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
this is one reason i dont like paying my TV licence

a poll to show people are against the war?
jebus what a great idea. like people already havent been vocal about it already.
do we really need a poll to state the ovious?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

No, anger doesn't do anyone any good.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this so-called coalition and Iraq - if you don't mind sharing them with us.

I got the impression from your first post you are for it. Maybe I was wrong in that.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
In other news: water runs downhill.

Sorry

Seriously though, is there really any doubt that both world opinion and now even US domestic opinion are strongly against this war?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am not for it, if anything I am totally against war. The only thing I dislike is the matter of the government not mentioning the true intentions before going into Iraq. I mean they stated that Saddam has WMD, yet they never found anything.
Terrorism in Iraq did not escalate until Saddam fell, and what does that say?
He was a good leader in keeping the terrorists in check. So now what do you have after US invaded Iraq? Dead soldiers, dead terrorists, and dead civilians.

So now we have a lose-lose situation, if US pulls out then the terrorists won and there will be even more killing, throw in a civil war between the Sunni's and Shiites and you have even more deaths. If US stays in Iraq then you have more dead soldiers and the civil war is held off until they leave.

In my opinion, the only way to get the government back on it's feet is to have martial law and to let troops run into each home searching for weapons. Other then that this war is a stalemate.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing Equinox

Here's another graph from the link to ponder upon.

Kinda contradicting Australia has the lowest (22%) support for withdrawal. Guess it's not the average aussie-johnnie we see on ATS.

Look at Mexico! Speaks for itself.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yet, most people will be voting for the candidates that will not pull out. Makes sense!!!

top topics

join