It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC: Suicide rate among U.S. girls 10-14 soars 76%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This is a huge jump and is a sign of the increasing pressures our teenagers face each and every day. At work we have seen this first hand and sadly the teens are getting better at it. In the past we could get back most of them but so far this year alone we are 50/50. In my experience it defies race, economic status etc.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AnaB2mx7aU91dBCX_I03xbBvzwcF

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wow, that is a terrifying number. As the "look" the media sends out to these young girls it gets harder and harder for them to be comparable to it. I think that is the #1 reason why, because they can't look like the people on MTV and Americas Top Model. The guys who settle for nothing less then that make me just as angry as the media.

This topic gets my heated

EDIT: Also the ages make no difference IMO. Girls today are getting involved in relationships and everything else far to young. Basically stresses they can't handle.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by ParanormalShiver]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
There's so much more pressure for females to be material objects, not to mention grade school girls being taught to dress sexy. Being intelligent(female scientist or philosopher) and classy(morals) as a women,dating , is not taught/shown to females in this current age. Feeling that because their MTV idols and MySpace friends openly show themselves nearly nude, drink, have sex(openly as an adult would), have a boyfriend(or be a loser attitude),party and do drugs all of the time, they must measure up. Measuring up to a beauty standard, this is really just sex, and not love in the long run. You can be normal pretty but if you don't dress cheaply flaunting yourself, you won't get attention. Many of these girls seek attention from men because they lacked having a father figure. As their mind/brain develops, factors like this take a toll on them, growing up is hard enough without negative factors, thus the suicide happens. Educated the parents, as some schools do with gang prevention, may be a starting factor to help parent's see the signs of a troubled teen. Other than that society has to straighten up, to watch out for it's youth or we are doomed.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It doesn't help that the media constantly shows "beautiful" as starved and skinny. Some girls kill themselves slowly by starving themselves, trying to fit a "look."

The starved skinny look has got to go! Take those idiots who are in charge of over-skinny runway models and kick them out of power. These morons obviously don't care about the health of those ladies.

Troy

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well, my sister is 16 and comes and stays with my wife and I, some things I've Noticed is that she knows more about MTV or E! orientated things etc.. etc.. than anything going on in the world or anything going on around her academically, Because New Zealand has a large drop-out rate of kids from College (High School for New Zealand), they tend to prepare kids who aren't sure what to do with there life to handle life after dropping out. This results in thousands dropping out because the education system is "Preparing" them to, by most likely stating "Dropping out isn't that bad, you can get the same things as a university graduate without the hard work" Which is wrong.

What I really want to know is, are our schools/colleges(High school in New Zealand)/high schools, actually guiding them on where to go in life? Finding what they're good at and harnessing that, and making them be what they want to be.

top topics

join