It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

I'd like everyones opinion please...

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Earlier a friend of mine modded a pic of myself in Photoshop. I'm wearing a tanktop, and as a joke, he purposely put a backwards swastika tattoo on my arm, as well as a tear drop beneath my eye. (Yes, I'm German)

I had it up on another forum as a joke, and it was immediately taken down. I can understand the reasons as it may send mixed signals and the wrong message, but the swastika is used in so many different religions.

What's your opinion on this? Do you agree or disagree with the moderators actions for taking it down?




posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
My opinion would depend on the nature of the site the picture was posted in, and their terms and conditions of use.

If it was a site for Holocaust survivors or something, I would say it was appropriate.

But I can't really say what I think without more information.



posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkCloud
What's your opinion on this? Do you agree or disagree with the moderators actions for taking it down?


I think it depends on the terms and conditions you agreed to when you joined that forum, and also if you violated them or not.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that I'm sure that type of image would get you banned on ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

1a) Offensive Content: You will not post links to images or use avatars and signatures that are offensive, abusive, distruptive and/or hateful. You will not use images, avatars or link to domains that contain gore, mutilation, pornography or illegal(2e) content. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.


[edit on 9/6/07 by AcesInTheHole]



posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think everyone should loosen up a wee bit, i mean come on, oh no you filthy nazi your gonna burn in hell ahhhhh! calm down people its not a big deal, 1940, 2007 i can see a little difference there can you? mabe like 67 years or so.



posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by superevoman
I think everyone should loosen up a wee bit, i mean come on, oh no you filthy nazi your gonna burn in hell ahhhhh! calm down people its not a big deal, 1940, 2007 i can see a little difference there can you? mabe like 67 years or so.


Thanks for that.

And like I said, I know it can send the wrong signal to those who can't see past the typical "nazi" image it portrays. It's just as bad as saying "you're not welcome on this site due to your beliefs."



posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
So ...

What site was it, and why exactly was a picture put up with a swastika? What ws the purpose of it other than "as a joke?" Jokes like that often have a deeper meaning. I really get a feeling that it was done deliberately to provoke a reaction, since you still haven't revealed all the information.

Not attacking, just asking for more info before I make a decision.



posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
So ...

What site was it, and why exactly was a picture put up with a swastika? What ws the purpose of it other than "as a joke?" Jokes like that often have a deeper meaning. I really get a feeling that it was done deliberately to provoke a reaction, since you still haven't revealed all the information.

Not attacking, just asking for more info before I make a decision.


It's a fitness site. After reading the TOS, they don't allow any avatar that is offensive in nature, etc. And in all honesty it was only a joke. A friend of mine did it because the original image of myself, he wanted it to look more "hardcore" and I guess he got that point across. That's pretty much all there is to it, nothing to hide.

People swear as if I'm gonna commit a crime because of it.



posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The swastika was German but there are other signs similar but not German. It also depends which way the arms point at the bend. Left = Nazi, right = other.



posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
The swastika was German but there are other signs similar but not German. It also depends which way the arms point at the bend. Left = Nazi, right = other.


It was actually backwards, so most took it as a joke. However, there were a few who took it as offensive which is BS if you ask me. People need to lighten up. There are worse things to be offended by, a swastika shouldn't be one of them.



posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
As a "joke"? Nope, sorry. Not funny. There are a million ways to be funny and that's not one of them.

It may not be "offensive" to you, but it's highly offensive to many. In the grand scheme of things, 67 years isn't so long at all. The horrors repersented by that symbol (reversed or not) are too fresh.

I understand the previous history of the symbol, but to use it in a "joking" fashion on a website is in extremely bad taste.

My opinion.



posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm not offended by it but it depends on the board. It's their call.



posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I certainly understand why it would be taken down, and honestly, I'm not surprised, whatever twist you put on it, it was a swastika, and thats just not gonna fly with a large group of people. Don't get me wrong, I personally don't care, I wouldn't be offended coming across a doctored swastika on a photo, but then, I'd be certain I knew my audience before throwing something like that up on a site.

Not all forums are 7chan.


Originally posted by yeahright
As a "joke"? Nope, sorry. Not funny. There are a million ways to be funny and that's not one of them.

It may not be "offensive" to you, but it's highly offensive to many. In the grand scheme of things, 67 years isn't so long at all. The horrors repersented by that symbol (reversed or not) are too fresh.


Out of sheer curiosity, do you find video games pertaining to WWII offensive? I know people who do, I was slightly taken aback when they told me too, because its such common game material now.



posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ringo_shells
I certainly understand why it would be taken down, and honestly, I'm not surprised, whatever twist you put on it, it was a swastika, and thats just not gonna fly with a large group of people. Don't get me wrong, I personally don't care, I wouldn't be offended coming across a doctored swastika on a photo, but then, I'd be certain I knew my audience before throwing something like that up on a site.

Not all forums are 7chan.


Originally posted by yeahright
As a "joke"? Nope, sorry. Not funny. There are a million ways to be funny and that's not one of them.

It may not be "offensive" to you, but it's highly offensive to many. In the grand scheme of things, 67 years isn't so long at all. The horrors repersented by that symbol (reversed or not) are too fresh.


Out of sheer curiosity, do you find video games pertaining to WWII offensive? I know people who do, I was slightly taken aback when they told me too, because its such common game material now.


Well, I thought I knew my audience. Everyone jokes with each other, posts gay jokes, they modify a TON of pictures of each other that are rather humorous, but also derogatory in nature. They do so many things that the list is endless. However, once I posted my image it was taken down. I know of the person who remmoved it because I told him I posted the image, therefor he told me he was going to take it down because most people at that site can't take a joke.

I don't find games pertaining to WWII offensive. I never really have, things like that don't really bother me. I have games such as DOOM, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which is heavily built on the subject of Nazis. It really takes a lot for me to get offended by something. Some people just enjoy that stuff more than others, and just like some, some will take offense and others wont.



posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't think there's too much I can add that hasn't already been expressed. We've got a broad range of views being represented here, but what I think it comes down to is that a fitness site is likely to have a pretty mainstream climate to maintain. Allowing an image like that is going to give the impression that it's not well-moderated, in today's uber-PC environment.

That is not to say that there aren't places on the web where the meanings of symbolism like that can become ambiguous or change altogether. In my opinion, what should be important is intent. I think people should understand that their knee-jerk reaction to particular imagery may not be based on the message the image is designed to convey.

Not that a fake backwards swastika tattoo holds any kind of weighty message, but I'm not here to judge the content of free speech; or the right to use it. That's not the issue. The issue is that your moderator friend is concerned about how his site looks.

This is symptomatic of the fact that people are afraid that letting this particular symbol lose it's power to represent anything other than Nazi hate and death is somehow disrespectful to a particular group. I think that all this does is further enable those that would use it to offend and terrorize.

Some of you might be interested in this guy's MySpace (no, not mine). I have no particular interest in the swastika but I am fascinated by symbols. I use all kinds of imagery in my artwork, and again, what's important is intent. I believe a symbol can have it's meaning changed by strong enough intentions, but that's all whole 'nother thread.




top topics



 
0

log in

join