It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court bans Christian cross on private land in public park

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Court bans Christian cross on private land in public park

news.yahoo.com

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The U.S. government cannot trade a parcel of land to private hands to allow a Christian cross to remain in the middle of a vast federal preserve, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Thursday.

At issue is the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution, which bars the government from favoring any one religion, as it applies to a lone white metal Latin cross in the Mojave National Preserve in southern California between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Good the separation between church and state needs to be preserved. With the push on for faith based government charities etc. we really need to draw a line here. What about a picture of Allah on El Capitan, or a Star of David near Old faithfull? The government's attempt to carve out a piece of the preserve is a joke as the court ruled. Christian groups will be up in arms no doubt, but its the right way to go.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
thats funny...how about all the foot washing stalls being installed at STATE Universities for muslims, or the time being set aside for Aholes to pray during work hours and school hours when christians can't even get permission to pray after school on school grounds. Or why is it a muslim woman can wear her face vail fir ID's but a high school kid is sensored in my area from being allowed to thank GOD at his graduation last year. This country is quickly becoming pretty pathetic....and so are the people in it. You wonder why things are so bad anymore and why we cant be safe, or can't live FREE lives anymore...its S*** like this!

My cross will remain in my yard, on my truck and around my neck....

**Mod Edit - Provocation**

[edit on 7-9-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
i think is right....the land isnt private already....they're banning it from becoming private just for that reason....

but i do agree with the poster above....they shouldnt shoot down one religion while allowing another.....

apc

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I disagree with the court's ruling (as I do with much of the other garbage that has come out of the 9th Circuit Court).

Had the cross been erected by the Government, it would be unconstitutional.

The Government not taking down the cross, which apparently had been there for 70 years or more, is simply preservation of a historical landmark. Isn't that what these nature preserves are all about?

Another piece of this nation nibbled away.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow_soldier1975

who u calling a ahole look in the mirror mate i am a muslim so what we can pray you got a problem?

always picking fight against muslims are you asking for one?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I don't think he's looking to pick a fight with you or anyone else. What I believe he's saying is that ALL who wish to pray in accordance with their faith whatever it may be should be allowed to do so whether in public or private. That however hasn't been the case lately, I've no issue with Muslims, Jew, Buddhists or whoever I only ask that all faiths be respected and it doesn't appear that they are. Just my humble opinion.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 7-9-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

yes same here all faiths should be treated the same but it aint my fault or any other muslims that your govt allows us got a problem he should take it up with them not start calling muslims aholes just because your govt let us pray wasnt any need for the rude language was there.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I understand that this subject is one that may be offensive to more than one party.
That being said, the baiting, and provocation will stop NOW.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Rathet than taking it down, lets put mroe up that represent as many faiths who are willign to pay for such. I bet attendance would go up in the area.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
thank you lombozo and i do also beleave all faiths to be treaded the same it is wrong just to help one which america doesnt. but my anger is gone

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow_soldier1975

Could you point to any legitimate news sourse that reports on State universities are installing foot washing stations for Muslims?
One, I was unaware of a foot washing command in Islam.
Two, I work in a state university and have for about a decade... NEVER have I heard anything of the sort from any uni I deal with... EVER.

As for the praying... Christians are allowed to pray at work or school or class just like anyone else. Believe me, when students sit for a calculus exam.. they ARE praying.

Anyone, of any faith, can pray anywhere they want. You just can't make your prayers "above" someone elses. I have my trusty Kaplan & Lee Law in Higher Education book next to me to back me up too.

Obs out.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
As a Christian I say
"Whats the big deal?"
Crosses are graven images.
But I understand that alot of "Christians" adore their crosses and want them erected everywhere and proudly display them around their necks and expect others to love and adore their 'godly symbol' as well.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow_soldier1975
time being set aside for Aholes to pray during work hours and school hours when christians can't even get permission to pray after school on school grounds.

A warning was issued for this circumvention of the censors to attack a broad range of people and ATS members.

When seeing this and similar responses throughout the western world, it's no wonder there are increasingly obvious tensions between faiths.

And, come to think of it, since when did "Christians" need to ensure everyone knows they're praying. I believe Jesus had some rather important things to say about this in Matthew 6... maybe it would help some "Christians" to take a refresher course.

In the mean time, let's be civil to each other... okay?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I don't believe in any organized religion so I careless what they erect, but religions has become a political issue in our nation and that should not be allowed.

Anybody that wants to worship whatever they want to worship should used the privacy of their home or their worshiping houses to do just that.

Trying to favor one faction of religion from another is just plain political.

I don't agree with praying during work ours the same way that I have not rights to do whatever I want while my co-worker is exercising his religious right.

That is just like the right for some to smoke and having a smoke brake when I am a none smoker have none.

All this issue are to keep people in America divided and that is exactly what the leaders of our nation wants.

And pleeeese stop shoving the religios card in this issue.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Let's not. There are people in this country who don't believe in god and don't want symbols of ANY god on public land. People's gods belong in the privacy of church, mosque, or whereever. Otherwise, people's rights to freedom from religion are being abrogated.

Nobody here, not even me, has a problem with people worshipping their version of god at all -- we just want it done somewhere other than in public, so that those of us who don't believe or believe in an alternative version don't have to be part of the service unwillingly by merely being present.

If this was an icon for, say, a pro football team, it would have to come down, too. Public land is public land, and since it's for everyone, it can favor no one.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

You are right and if you or anyone else took my response as rude or baiting let me say I'm very sorry and meant no disrespect to anyone or any belief system.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
My Opinion

People always get up in arms over everything.

People should try some apathy.

Only cool people are apathetic.

Your not cool if your not

LOL

anyway thats my opinion LOL

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
all this religious hogwash makes me want to friggin puke...

i HATE to have the gov step in and regulate just about everything but i am ALL FOR absolutley NO religious symbols out in the wild at all.

keep that crap at home....
you can't pray without looking at a cross?

i'm so tired of this stuff all over the place....i live in a pretty diverse town and there are more friggin churces and religious structures and billboards round here than i have ever seen.

it just gets old....
all the marquees on the churches trying to make you feel crazy guilt as you sit at the red light...

i'm just tired of looking at it...ALL of it

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
]manzoor i don't agree with the muslim are aholes remark its not right to
other religions be censored and barred from schools and public properties
while they try to let muslims practice their faith by leaving classes for morning prayer foot washing stations provided for their use. women allowed to wear veils for id cards. we are not even allowed to a copy of the 10 comandments in front of a courthouse because it is considered
religious. if it gonna be separition of church and state it should be unilateral for all religions

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join